PDA

View Full Version : Festive Sleigh Project

mtylerfl
11-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Here's some pics of my latest project...all accomplished with just the two bits that came with the machine.

...can be used for a decorative table centerpiece, or for holding candy, nuts, etc.

It measures about 15" long, 8˝" tall, 5" wide

ChrisAlb
11-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Flat out SWEET Michael!!

How long to carve?

mtylerfl
11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Flat out SWEET Michael!!

How long to carve?

Thanks, Chris - I really enjoyed designing and making this one! I am making two more this weekend!

The project is divided into 3 mpc's and there are a total of 12 components that make up the sleigh. To carve and cut out everything it is about 6˝ hours total machine time.

ChrisAlb
11-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Well just let me know how to get my grubby little hands on it...LOL

I'd LOVE to make a few of these as gifts this year. Another TOP NOTCH job buddy. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

My CW hasn't been making dust for a while now. I'd like to warm it up again with this for sure.

DocWheeler
11-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Michael,

I totally agree with Chris. I went to your site to order it and found it was not yet listed:(

fwharris
11-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Michael,

Another great project! You did a fantastic job on the finishing detail. HMMM could this be another monthly project?

oldjoe
11-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Wow Michael as usual you are way ahead of the curve or should I say carve. And the finish on that is fantastic. Looks to me like 6.5 hours of carving and for me 12 hours of finishing. Is that gold leaf or just gold finish?

sweliver
11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Nicely done sir!

sw

Eagle Hollow
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
WOW! Michael,

You pros continue to amaze me with your God given talents. Now get it posted so the rest of us can amaze some of our friends and customers!

Grateful thanks

jpaluck
11-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Man your creativity is soo impressive great looking project

John

chop
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Michael T
Very nice job on the sleigh

brady.schwyhart
11-07-2008, 03:20 PM
My hat is off to you Sir! Excellently done!
Brady

Betty Woodall
11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Michael,
That is beautiful. I am looking forward to getting that pattern when you post it. BW

Router-Jim
11-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Michael, that is truely an impressive project.

Well done!! :cool:

mtylerfl
11-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Hello,

Thank you everyone. I'll see if I can answer some of your questions...

- Yes, this is the next Monthly Subscription Project. I've already talked to LHR about getting it sent out a little earlier than "normal" to the subscribers so they'll have time to make it before we're all in the thick of the holiday season (I know some of you already are!). I am writing the illustrated "Festive Sleigh" tutorial now, and will email it to LHR early next week (or before). My hope is that it will be released to the subscribers no later than mid-November.

- It won't be for sale separately for some time - since it's a subscriber project, they usually wait 2 or 3 months after it's been sent to the subscribers before it is available for sale by itself.

- I had a heck of a time deciding how I wanted to finish it. I stared at it for 3 days before deciding! I'm making two more this weekend so I'll get a chance to try a couple other ideas I had in mind. (I carved/cutout another one today in fact.)

- The finish on this first one is MinWax Cherrywood Gel Stain.

- The finish for the sleigh runners is Rustoleum Specialty Metallic Gold reflective finish spray paint. I primed the runners with Red spray primer and sanded lightly before spraying with the gold paint. Got both paints from Walmart.

-The gold trim was applied by hand with a KRYLON Gold Leaf marking pen (I used blue masking tape to keep me from getting sloppy). Richard Tharp had sent me the gold pen as a gift, but I have seen it for sale at Michael's Arts & Crafts. It matches their specialty reflective gold spray paint perfectly.

- The clear finish is MinWax water-based Satin Polycrylic - four coats. (I love the stuff - it dries in less than a half hour so I can apply multiple coats quickly.) I originally bought some satin clear laquer for the top coat, but wimped out and used what I am already accustomed to.;)

I've been designing a lot of projects lately - just hard to get 'em all done and tested/perfected/tutorials written due to days being only 24 hours long. Look for some really unique items coming out over the next few months! Some will be available separately right away, and some will be for the Project Subscibers "first dibbs".

EDIT: Forgot to mention that no clear is put over the gold runners - dulls the finish. Also, the gold marking pen is applied last, over the clear finish of the sleigh - same reason - no topcoat on that either so that the gold won't get "dulled".

Lin
11-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Michael, Now this project I really like...it has gotten harder and harder for me to come up with the "one of a kind" cool,,,,neat and special project for certain family members for x-mas each year....I think this will work super great for my MIL and a few others that have gotten really hard for me to come up with the great ideas for.
Thanks,
Looking forward to when its released...
Lin

chop
11-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Micheal
I find myself checking your sleigh out everyday and showing them to everyone that comes over.They all want one.You really out did yourself.

RayTrek
11-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Wow Michael
I think back to Hi School wood shop and a sleigh project we did with plywood and was working on replicating it with relief this year and you come up with something that is outstanding I have scraped my project for yours.
To put it in a nutshell you amaze me with your talents and hope you don’t mind that I have made you one of my mentors to achieve higher levels of excellence.
Thank You
Ray

bayea
11-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Michael, you are a cruel man ! show us this beautiful project and not let us purchase it ! mean, mean man.! lol
so, is there anything we can do to convince you to post the project for purchase?

mtylerfl
11-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks again everyone! You are my greatest motivation for creating projects. Your encouragement overwhelms me sometimes.

I cut out a couple more and they are in the sanding and finishing stage today (my least favorite part!). I hope to have these two done by this Thurs or Fri. Going out of town that weekend, so I won't have a chance to work on them then.

mtylerfl
11-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Michael, you are a cruel man ! show us this beautiful project and not let us purchase it ! mean, mean man.! lol
so, is there anything we can do to convince you to post the project for purchase?

Hi bayea,

Sorry 'bout that! Hope it will be sent out to the subscribers soon, though! I'll mention it to LHR to see what they'll be able to do as far as selling it separately. (Of course, you could hurry up and sign up for the Project Subscription - 12 projects (one a month) for $120=only $10 per project over the course of a year. That's the best value overall!):)

bernie
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
my wife love's it and she make one for her so I like to know how you did it and can you send me the mpc

Amonaug
11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks again everyone! You are my greatest motivation for creating projects. Your encouragement overwhelms me sometimes.

I cut out a couple more and they are in the sanding and finishing stage today (my least favorite part!). I hope to have these two done by this Thurs or Fri. Going out of town that weekend, so I won't have a chance to work on them then.

Great project!

Runners and sides I understand how you did them, but how did you do the curved body?

mtylerfl
11-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Great project!

Runners and sides I understand how you did them, but how did you do the curved body?

How I did it - - Magic!

mtylerfl
11-10-2008, 10:49 PM
my wife love's it and she make one for her so I like to know how you did it and can you send me the mpc

Hello Bernie,

I talked to LHR/CarveWright and they plan to release the Festive Sleigh project mpc's very, very soon. If you are already a subscriber, you will be receiving an email as soon as it is available.

If you are not a subscriber yet - sign up "quick"! :)

swhitney
11-10-2008, 11:17 PM
ok ok - I finally signed up for the subscription based on this design.......
and decided to get centerline as well .... so I am ready to energize the machines.....

so that I can be ready, can you post board sizes for the sleigh mpc files??? That way I can have the stock ready and waiting, or glued up if that is needed...... I can't wait to see the results!!!

thanx in advance

Scott

mtylerfl
11-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi Scott,

Congrats on your readiness to "energize"!!

You'll need the boards with the following dimensions...

1 for Sides: .75” x 9.25” x 34”
(nominal 1 x 10 x 34” long)

1 for Runners: .75” x 9.25” x 23”
(nominal 1 x 10 x 23” long)

1 for Inner Sections: .75” x 11.25” x 34”
(nominal 1 x 12 x 34” long

NOTE: These dimensions already include the extra 7" required to keep under the rollers at all times! An absolute requirement for this project and especially any other project that has cut outs of any kind.

If (and only if) you are familiar and knowledgable with the techniques of using sleds or carrier boards, you can subtract 7" from the length of each of those dimensions and put the shorter boards on a sled that provides at least the lengths as shown above. Otherwise, play it safe and use the original specified lengths and all will go smoothly for you.

All the Best...

swhitney
11-11-2008, 09:43 AM
thanx for the info Michael.... I am looking forward to making this sleigh in the same way I was when I bought your beautiful wreath pattern. Keep up the great work, and I do enjoy, and re-read those writings .........

tstryk
11-13-2008, 05:24 PM
VERY nice project! I have a question about the subscription - do you get just the one project per month or do you get access to the past projects, also?

mtylerfl
11-13-2008, 06:19 PM
VERY nice project! I have a question about the subscription - do you get just the one project per month or do you get access to the past projects, also?

Hi Terry,

The Project Subscription is very similar to a magazine subscription...one project issue per month.

The project issues start when you sign up, so whatever issue is closest to being released from the date you signed up, that's the one CarveWright issues to you first.

Based on my observation, "back issue projects" have been made available by CarveWright for individual purchase at the regular price about a month or so after the project was initially released to subscribers.

Of course you stand to save a considerable amount of moola by subscribing. The sooner you sign up, the more you save.:)

swhitney
11-15-2008, 09:17 AM
The Sleigh project was released Friday night for subscribers. Can't wait to give it a try!!!!!!!

ChrisAlb
11-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Just curious, how much is it for subscribers?

swhitney
11-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Subscription is $120 for 12 monthly projects.... so works out to $10 per project. I based my decision on the fact I might only like half the projects that come out.... and the minimum price I see individually has been $20 or greater (so I figured it was a safe bet), and subscribers get the projects first, then they release them to the general public for individual sale later (a few months I am guessing).

I answer this question as a new subscriber, and therefore, the details might be a bit off, but I think I got the "jist of it"

I did buy the wreath project from Michael last year, and was VERY pleased with it so I am sure this Sleigh project will meet or exceed my expectations.

Well... off to the lumber store so I can make more custom toothpicks and hamster bedding... lol

mtylerfl
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I had hoped to finish up two more Festive Sleighs by today (for a total of 3), but ya know, life happened! (was out of town most of today, but got back earlier than expected)

Anyway, the first is already done, the second is done except for the gold trim (I'll do that tonight), and the third still has to be glued together, final sanded, painted and stained.

Should have 'em ALL done by tomorrow evening. Even though I say so myself, I love this project!:D

bernie
11-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I have purchased project of the month but how do I activate it

DocWheeler
11-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Bernie,

I just did that last week and I have forgotten already, isn't old(er) age great!

I think that you need to go to the Carvewright site and log in to activate your subscription. I had a difficult time in finding where exactly it was but stumbled upon it.

That's the best that I remember - sorry.

supershingler
11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
bernie

i also bought the subscription and couldnt find where to activate and mike to me i had to wait unit the project is released and then you will recieve an email and you can activatie then from my understanding

kendall

bernie
11-16-2008, 12:10 PM
thank you guys for the input

mtylerfl
11-18-2008, 07:11 PM
I just found out tonight that CarveWright has made the Festive Sleigh Project available in the CarveWright Project Depot for sale separately to non-subscribers in case anyone needs it! (Project Subscribers will, or have already, received it.)

Here's the link to the Project Depot page where the Sleigh is:
http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=261

tstryk
11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
If I get a subsciption now will it start with the sleigh or will it start with the NEXT pattern?

mtylerfl
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
If I get a subsciption now will it start with the sleigh or will it start with the NEXT pattern?

Hi Terry,

You'll get the Sleigh for sure.:D

tstryk
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Got it, thanks! I'm starting on it tomorrow!

LollyWood
11-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks Mike T. This will pay for itself. Thanks for getting this opened for we non-subscribers.:

mtylerfl
11-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Got it, thanks! I'm starting on it tomorrow!

That's great, Terry!

I've made three of the Sleighs myself - definitely one of my favorite projects and I hope it's as rewarding for you as it was for me. I sent one as a gift to LHR/CarveWright, kept one for my wife and I, and the third one is a gift for some friends of ours from church.

I would make some more sleighs, but I have to move on with the testing of new projects for upcoming subscription issues and other special items. I can hardly wait to carve the prototype for the next subscription project!

peter_l
11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I was just reading about the sleigh project, looks great.

Then I see it is $50.00 and take almost 7 hours to carve.

Is it worth it?

What is the finished sized?

Just curious.

Thanks all

Pete

LollyWood
11-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks Mike T for getting this made available for we Non subscribers. Got the Pats loaded and will be carving one today. (if the city doesn't require my meger skills ;)) Will let ya know how it comes out. Can't wait to see it finished myself.

mtylerfl
11-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Guys,
I was just reading about the sleigh project, looks great.
Then I see it is $50.00 and take almost 7 hours to carve.
Is it worth it?
What is the finished sized?
Just curious.
Thanks all
Pete

Hi Pete,

The finished Sleigh is about 15" long x 8" tall x 5" wide.

It's only worth it if you need a cool-looking Sleigh for your holiday decor (or two or three) !

EDIT: Cost-wise, Project Subscribers save a "ton" since each project ends up being only $10 apiece (12 projects for $120 = $10 each). Compared to purchasing every project separately, there is a very significant savings of hundreds of dollars by becoming a Subscriber.

supershingler
11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
has the festive sleigh been released to subscribers yet?

kendall

mtylerfl
11-19-2008, 12:51 PM
has the festive sleigh been released to subscribers yet?

kendall

Hi Kendall,

I understand that it has! If you haven't gotten your email regarding it, please be sure to give LHR/CarveWright a call and I'm sure they'll get you taken care of right away.

bernie
11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
hi guys I Have festive sleigh project and I am 1/2 way done and my want it done now lololol

HelpBot3000
11-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Michael,

They just brought the sleigh you sent us into the call center. My jaw dropped! The picture just doesn't do this project justice. It looks absolutely amazing and anyone who is lucky enough to have the project file, do yourself a favor and get carving. Once again we are all blown away by your skill. I'm looking forward to seeing next months now.

mtylerfl
11-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Michael,

They just brought the sleigh you sent us into the call center. My jaw dropped! The picture just doesn't do this project justice. It looks absolutely amazing and anyone who is lucky enough to have the project file, do yourself a favor and get carving. Once again we are all blown away by your skill. I'm looking forward to seeing next months now.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! Hope you all enjoy the "goodies" too!

atauer
11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Thank you so much for the encouraging words! Hope you all enjoy the "goodies" too!

Goodies????

Where????????

mtylerfl
11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Goodies????

Where????????

Ahhh - I should have kept my mouth shut! They were probably all gone by the time it made the rounds (check desk drawers, behind cabinets, pockets, etc.)

supershingler
11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
micheal

just started carving your festive sleigh but had a questions.

is there a way to do the redo the depth of cut on the cutpaths in the designer or do you have to do it?

im carving my first in pine so it isnt as much of a concern but the next two are in hardwood one in cherry and one in maple. i would like the c utpaths to be a 1/4" at a time in these if possible. i guess im a believer in not hoging the bit if i dont have to

let me know if you have any ideas

thanks

kendall

mtylerfl
11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
micheal

just started carving your festive sleigh but had a questions.

is there a way to do the redo the depth of cut on the cutpaths in the designer or do you have to do it?

im carving my first in pine so it isnt as much of a concern but the next two are in hardwood one in cherry and one in maple. i would like the c utpaths to be a 1/4" at a time in these if possible. i guess im a believer in not hoging the bit if i dont have to

let me know if you have any ideas

thanks

kendall

Hi Kendall,

Yes, you can easily make the cut pass depth anything that's appropriate/comfortable for you if you are using the version 1.131 or above. (By the way, I put "or above" so that readers in the future will know this applies to them also when later versions are released.)

The Sept '08 Tips & Tricks decribes the new Cut-Out Control features in 1.131 in detail. Here's a short excerpt...

"Your settings in the Cut-Out Control window can be

edited at any time for any cut path. Just select your cut
path outline, then click the Edit Cut Out icon, or
select “Tools/Edit Cut Out” from the menu bar and
the window will reappear so you can make your
changes."

Hope that helps.

I can't wait to see your cherry and maple Sleighs!

supershingler
11-20-2008, 08:25 PM
thanks micheal

i cant either lol

i cant hardly wait until i get this pin one done lol

thanks for the help ill post pictures when im done

kendall

HelpBot3000
11-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Goodies????

Where????????

Alex,

I swear I saw the goodies sitting on your desk. Thank you again Michael, always a pleasure when your work comes through here.

atauer
11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh those goodies.

they were actually left with our receptionist and she had no idea where they came from, so she gave some to me.

I guess I did get them.

:)

RayTrek
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Micheal that is an excellent project just love carving your patterns and doing your projects Thank you very much.
The pix is the first one almost complete with a reindeer napkin holder
I have another carved in oak that is in the sanding phase.
Thanks again and cheers
Ray
also would like to thank ho ever posted the reindeer

Kenm810
11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice job Ray,
The finish makes it look very rich!!

Ps. Love the Reindeer too!

mtylerfl
11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Micheal that is an excellent project just love carving your patterns and doing your projects Thank you very much.
Thanks again and cheers
Ray

Hello Ray,

Thank you! You did a Fantastic job on it! (I sure wish I had thought of doing the Reindeer napkin holder to go along with the Sleigh!!)

I really like how you applied the gold trim on the runners too. You do such wonderful work - I always enjoy your creativity!

mark1945
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I was at LHR on Friday and saw the sleigh.Thats 1 very nice job of carving and finishing.Am going to try and cut at least 1 later this week
Mark1945

HelpBot3000
11-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Michael,

That sleigh has found a holiday home on the table by the front door as people come in and I can tell you that customers, vendors, delivery folks, whoever comes into the building who see it stop and look at that sleigh. No one walks away from it any less than completely impressed. It is a real testament to the abilities of the CarveWright / CompuCarve. Every one of those oohs and ahhs is well deserved.

supershingler
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
ray

great addition to the sleigh

do you remember where you got the reindeer pattern from
i showed the wife so now im stuck making her one

any help appreciated

by the way i just learned the hard way not to drop your sleigh runners on the cement they tend to break and i tend to say words reserved for my neighbors dog lol

kendall

mtylerfl
11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Michael,

That sleigh has found a holiday home on the table by the front door as people come in and I can tell you that customers, vendors, delivery folks, whoever comes into the building who see it stop and look at that sleigh. No one walks away from it any less than completely impressed. It is a real testament to the abilities of the CarveWright / CompuCarve. Every one of those oohs and ahhs is well deserved.

You made my day! Glad everyone is enjoying it!

mtylerfl
11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
ray

...by the way i just learned the hard way not to drop your sleigh runners on the cement they tend to break and i tend to say words reserved for my neighbors dog lol

kendall

Hey Kendall,

Wipe the oil off your fingers after lubing the QC!;)

Mikewiz
11-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks again and cheers
Ray

Hey Ray,

Do you remember where you got the reindeer pattern? I looked on the forum and couldn't find it.

Thanks, Mike

RayTrek
11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Hello
Went and looked for it this morning and found it on the Compucarvewright.com site page 19 in the pattern sharing, Author of pattern (edzbaker)
I carved it in cedar 10.3" X 7.0"- 0.700 deep and 999 high Best, about 3 hours
Good day to all and thank you
Ray

Mikewiz
11-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Hello
Went and looked for it this morning and found it on the Compucarvewright.com site page 19 in the pattern sharing, Author of pattern (edzbaker)
I carved it in cedar 10.3" X 7.0"- 0.700 deep and 999 high Best, about 3 hours
Good day to all and thank you
Ray

Hey Ray,

Thanks for your help. I was able to get the deer.

Mikewiz

leesheridan
11-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I received the email this afternoon from CW that the projects and other items were 10% off. And that includes the sleigh project. I went for it.

Dan-Woodman
11-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Ya and there also raising the price of the bit set to $399.99 effective Dec. 5
later Daniel

tstryk
11-27-2008, 06:45 PM
OK, my first sleigh - the others will be better :). It was fun!

MCGEE2SKINNER
11-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Michael
It don't get any better than that sleigh.

fwharris
11-27-2008, 07:23 PM

tstryk,

Yes the others will be better, but this one looks great for the first one! Getting better with each project we do is one of the best parts of having the CW.

Can't wait to see the next one!

mtylerfl
11-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Very, very nice!

I like how you alternated the stain on the inner sections. Makes it look even more "festive" - now I might have to make me another one so I can do that too!

tstryk
11-27-2008, 07:37 PM
actually....that was called using up the wood I had left in the shop...some white pine, some yellow pine. Just thought it would make a cool effect. I didnt have any stain, so I used red paint and rubbed it off as soon as I put it on. The laquer turned the gold almost a green - I may redo that, but I kinda like it that way. Thanks for the compliment, tho!

ChrisAlb
12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Working on a little addition to Michael's excellent sleigh.

Obviously Santa needs a little more work but he's getting there...LOL

ChrisAlb
12-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Just not sure whether to carve him with the sleigh sides or separately and then put him in the sleigh?

supershingler
12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
make santa a two sided carve and put a bench in the sleigh for him to sit on

just my thought but great idea chris adding a santa

kendall

ChrisAlb
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Yea it's a toss up. If I carve him with the sides the sleigh remains open for putting things in like Michael suggested. I'm also toying with the idea of carving the runners and sides as one piece.

mtylerfl
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Yea it's a toss up. If I carve him with the sides the sleigh remains open for putting things in like Michael suggested. I'm also toying with the idea of carving the runners and sides as one piece.

I LOVE it! Whichever you decide, it's going to be really nice! Good work.

Digitalwoodshop
12-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding...... We have a WINNER......

FaNtastic Work Chris !!!!!!

AL

fwharris
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Chris,

Great addition to the sleigh! Glad to see your back in action and adding new ideas!

tstryk
12-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, I'm on my THIRD sleigh and still having fun with it!

mtylerfl
12-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I'm on my THIRD sleigh and still having fun with it!

Good for you, Terry!

Next year I'm gonna start making some early on - a lot of folks wanted me to make them one, but I only had time to make three this year!

tstryk
12-14-2008, 04:44 PM
For some reason, the file with the runners must have gotten corrupted - twice in a row it cut one of the runners in half. I just deleted the outline and made a new one....so far so good! I bought some of that cherrywood gel stain but it did not come out like yours - no red tint and I am using white pine as you did (if memory serves me correctly). But then, the challenges are part of the fun of it!

Dan-Woodman
12-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Micheal
Will you be doing a set of reindeer to go along with the sliegh next year? I know ther has beem some posted but they seam wimsical for such a decorative sliegh.
later Daniel

jcorder
12-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey Chris, that is a great pattern. If you don't mind my asking, what program did you use to design that?

Thanks
Jeff

mtylerfl
12-14-2008, 08:01 PM
For some reason, the file with the runners must have gotten corrupted - twice in a row it cut one of the runners in half. I just deleted the outline and made a new one....so far so good! I bought some of that cherrywood gel stain but it did not come out like yours - no red tint and I am using white pine as you did (if memory serves me correctly). But then, the challenges are part of the fun of it!

Hi Terry,

Glad the runner mpc is behaving itself after the "re-outline"!

The gel-stain is pretty strange stuff to work with if you've not used it before. I recall the first time I used it - the directions say to stir thoroughly. I looked at that semi-solid gel in the can and thought, "How the heck do you stir THAT?" It wasn't easy with a full can!

Anyway...I apply a coat and wipe it all off with a rag, then I apply another light coat immediately and "wipe" that one off with a DRY brush. I wipe with the brush, then wipe the brush off with a rag, wipe the stain, wipe the brush, etc. until all the excess stain is removed and have achieved the desired color. If the stain starts "setting up" before I'm done dry-brushing, then I know I didn't work fast enough!

You do have to work rather fast and I want to say it's almost like "painting". (It will have a "tacky" surface until it dries completely). I learned a whole new technique to finishing using the gel-stains!

MinWax makes another stain (not gel) called Sedona Red. It has a fairly strong red tint to it. You could apply that over the gel stained piece to get a deeper reddish color.

mtylerfl
12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Micheal
Will you be doing a set of reindeer to go along with the sliegh next year? I know ther has beem some posted but they seam wimsical for such a decorative sliegh.
later Daniel

That's a great idea, and loved it when I saw it posted with the reindeer napkin holder!

If you remind me again in about Sept/Oct 2009, I'll get some reindeer designed that would go with the sleigh - maybe even two-sided glue up for true full-dimensional reindeer. Maybe Rudolph too? Better remind me in July!

Eagle Hollow
12-15-2008, 07:46 AM

Terry,

This was done with Varathane "Cabernet" stain. It may give you the color you're after.
Here is a better pic. http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8730&d=1200352840

tstryk
12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
OK, I see several ways I went wrong! First, I never considered stirring that gunk - it is about the consistency of Jello. Second, this is the first stain I have ever applied with anything but a rag. I put it on with a sponge brush, let it set, then wiped with a rag after about 5 min. Well, I start sleigh #4 tonight, so I will try it your way this time and see how that works!!! THANKS!!!!!!

DocWheeler
12-15-2008, 11:42 AM
tstryk,

Like you, I had never used gel stain - it certainly did not look like Michael's!

After sanding that off I used Polyshades (Olde maple) instead - don't really like an all-in-one kind of thing but it came out better for me.

I had put on too many coats of thinned sealer I guess because the gel stain did not worked as I had hoped.

fyrpuppy
12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
I bought the project subscription last Wens 12-10 and recieved my email with activation numbers included that night. I tried to activate the subscription Thursday morning 12-11 and couldn't find where to do this. Tried to call LHR and they were all busy. I emailed them using the website contact page because I am sleeping during the days and working night shifts. I recieved an email saying that I would get a reply within 24 to 48 hours. it is now 0100 on 12-16 and i still haven't gotten a response. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to get the patterns downloaded an on my card so i can start carving on them when I get up in the PM.:confused:

fwharris
12-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I bought the project subscription last Wens 12-10 and recieved my email with activation numbers included that night. I tried to activate the subscription Thursday morning 12-11 and couldn't find where to do this. Tried to call LHR and they were all busy. I emailed them using the website contact page because I am sleeping during the days and working night shifts. I recieved an email saying that I would get a reply within 24 to 48 hours. it is now 0100 on 12-16 and i still haven't gotten a response. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to get the patterns downloaded an on my card so i can start carving on them when I get up in the PM.:confused:

Frypuppy,

Did you do the "manage license" from the "help" tab in designer?

fyrpuppy
12-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Not yet I just did another search and found the link www.carvewright.com/register and instructions from atauer. I will try that also thanks FW.:D

SeaCapt97
12-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Shootin' at Michael's quality. Got a ways to go. I'll keep tryin'. :)

ChrisAlb
12-23-2008, 07:45 PM

I'd say you nailed it!! Looks like his only turned around. Nice Job!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

mtylerfl
12-23-2008, 08:39 PM

I agree with Chris!! That looks Super Great!!