PDA

View Full Version : Cutting carbon fiber?

sirsumm
11-07-2008, 08:31 AM
My machine is now out of warranty, and I was toying the idea of trying to cut some parts for my compound bow out of carbon fiber. I know that this wouldn't be a CW recommended material to cut, so I have been trying to think of what could happen if I do it. The first thought that comes to mind is that the dust probably will be very abrasive, dust control will be very important. The next is tool life, I am sure that the CW tools are going to be dull after the fact. The third is that I wonder if the dust from carbon fiber will be electrically conductive. Has anyone tried to cut carbon fiber? Do you guys have any other thoughts in regards to cutting this material?

Jason

Kenm810
11-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Jason,

Be Carful -- I found this about the Dust

3.4 ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS

3.4.1 Carbon fiber is electrically conductive, and it can cause the short-circuiting of electrical equipment.
3.4.2 Airborne Carbon Fiber can also disturb electrical equipment.
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET MSDS-3 Carbon Fiber

sirsumm
11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks Ken, sounds to me like I will not be cutting any on my machine. I am thinking that the CW is not prepared to deal with conductive dust.

Jason

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
I think you would find the first problem would be all the arcing in the Cut Motor Brushes with the carbon dust.

I wish I could come up with a wrap around dust collector that sucks dust right at the QC like a shop bot does... A Skirt around the QC at the bit.

AL

sirsumm
11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I wonder if a setup similar to the suction devices in a hospital could keep up with the dust generated by the machine. The suction hose could be attached to the Ztruck. I still don't think that I am going to try the carbon fiber.

dbfletcher
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Does anyone one think that with current state of "dust collection" systems for the CW, this might be a possibility now? I really want to be able to cut some CF parts, but my 40 watt laser just doesn't have the power to even attempt it.

bergerud
01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
The Dust Cap would have no trouble with carbon fiber. It even worked with aluminum! If I had some carbon fiber, I would give it a try.

Jeff_Birt
01-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Both carbon fiber and aluminum are conductive so you run the very real chance of creating a short circuit on one of the circuit baords that are located on the bottom of the machine. CarveWright has said in the past that they do not recommend cutting metals due to the short circuit issue. The machine is just not made for it. Just wanted to post a warning up front as I don't want anyone messing up their machine. It is your machine though and what you do with it is up to you.

The other point to consider with carbon fiber is that you need a different type of bit to but it. I typically recommend a diamond cut router bit for such composites. If you are going to be doing a lot of it than investing in ZrN coated tools is a good idea.

Sallen1215
01-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Why use carbon fiber, have you considered micarta? its not quite as light but can be made out of some fiberglass resin and some old blue jeans, just my .02

Stephen

dbfletcher
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I'll look in to that, however my application was for RC Helicopter parts to weight to strength ratio is the most critical factor.