PDA

View Full Version : Space between pieces or not ?

brouv
11-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm waiting for my machine so right now I'm playing with the software.
I want to cut some pieces in a board and I was wondering if I need to leave some spaces between the pieces or pack them next to each other ?
Thanks guys
Brouv

brady.schwyhart
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Brouv,
I've done several projects where I cut multiple pieces from a single board. I try to have at least a half inch between them. That gives stability while they are being cut, and makes it easier to cut the tabs once it's finished. Just make sure you leave at least 3/4 of an inch on the edge that goes over the brass roller so that the cutting bit does not hit it and definately make sure you have an extra 3 1/2 inches on each end to keep the project under the rollers. You don't have to select "keep under rollers" when you load the project, just make sure your board is 7 inches longer than what you loaded in the software. If the board comes out from under the rollers while cutting, you can say bye bye to your cutting bit cause it's gonna snap (learned that one the hard way) Here is the mpc for a collage photo frame that I made. I would love to post a pic of the finished project, but it was a gift and is several states away now.
Brady

Amonaug
11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
It's a good idea to give them some space so that
1) the tabs have something to hold on to to keep the workpiece from flying all over
2) to keep small pieces from flying all over and possibly breaking the bit if they should jam.

brouv
11-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks guys
I saw the tip about the 7 inches and I will do so
This forum is very useful and hopefully I can help others as soon as I get better