PDA

View Full Version : Cut-outs for lettering

turtleman1982
11-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to do something that looks like the attached .mpc. But, obviously if I run it through the machine like this, I will eventually have a problem at the end. In this file, I've basically told it to carve the area to a depth of .80, which will grind away line by line all of the wood, presumably not leaving any chunks of wood to fall into the machine. Only problem is that something like this would take MANY hours to carve. Can anyone help me on a good technique for acomplishing the same thing with the cut-out tool?

I've played with outlining the letters, then using the cut-out, only problem is that it won't let me keep it attached to the bottom board. I'm trying to do like the other picture attached. ( I accidentally broke my wifes while rough housing with the dog. I still swear it was the dog that broke it over his knee "just b/c he thought it wouldn't break").

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Jonathan

brady.schwyhart
11-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Jonathan,
See if this one will work. I took away the carve regions and using the ctrl key, highlighted the text and the rectangle below at the same time, then clicked "outline" and then "cutout". The whole thing is going to be the thickness of the board (which I believe you have set at .75). The estimated carve time on this is 1hr 54min.
Brady

MAX COX
11-06-2008, 07:33 AM
If you have a scroll saw i would think you could make them a lot faster. just my thoughts on what i would do.

edzbaker
11-06-2008, 08:27 AM
You can download a free "Scroll Saw Pattern Maker" from here, and ust it to do what you are wanting. Open the pattern in designer, outline, cutout, then delete the pattern, leaving the cutout. I use it often, and it works well.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com

also, there are many free patterns at this site that are easily adapted to the CW carver.

Kenm810
11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks edzbaker,
The Pattern Maker program looks like it will be a nice addition to my tool files
And thanks for the Site -- just what I need -- more reading material. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

brady.schwyhart
11-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice link! I really like it. If I had the steady hand and the patience for scroll work I could really do some damage with this stuff.
Brady

bjbethke
11-06-2008, 09:25 AM
You could make a PTN - Use the outline function and cutout, then delete the PTN and run your MPC with the cutouts only. This will cutout project only, no carving.

brouv
11-06-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry to ask but I'm really new at this (still waiting for my machine)
I got the outline and cutout but I still have the carving. How do I get it out to have only the outline of the letter ?

bjbethke
11-06-2008, 10:48 AM
You need to delete the pattern in your MPC and only use the cut paths. If you look at my MPC you will see only the cut paths are used.

brouv
11-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Done
Thanks, it works
Sorry for the stupid answer
What is the best way to make a ptn ?
create a bmp out of the image and import it into designer ?

turtleman1982
11-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all of your help. Seems there are more than 1 one to skin a cat. I do have a scroll saw, but what's the point of having the CW if you don't use it? My goal was to try and make this one to replace my wife's, and then start making some to sell/give away as presents for christmas.

Thanks again for your help.

turtleman1982
11-07-2008, 07:53 AM
ok, it's not working for me. Let me explain my steps, to see what I'm missing

1. Using the text tool, I type in the word, make it the size I want
2. Using the Rectangle tool, I draw a 24"x1" box, slightly touching the words on the bottom.
3. I select both items, but when I right click to "outline patterns", it says it can't outline things that are not patterns. what am I supposed to do with the rectangle box to make it "outlineable".

Thanks for the help.
Jonathan

Jeff_Birt
11-07-2008, 08:02 AM
The rectangle (a.k.a. a vector path) is already an 'outline'. You can apply any bit to it you want. The 'Outline' tool creates a vector path around the outside of a pattern for you.

brady.schwyhart
11-07-2008, 08:46 AM
ok, it's not working for me. Let me explain my steps, to see what I'm missing

1. Using the text tool, I type in the word, make it the size I want
2. Using the Rectangle tool, I draw a 24"x1" box, slightly touching the words on the bottom.
3. I select both items, but when I right click to "outline patterns", it says it can't outline things that are not patterns. what am I supposed to do with the rectangle box to make it "outlineable".

Thanks for the help.
Jonathan

Jonathan,
Here are the steps I followed on the attached mpc.
Typed in the text (as a raster)
Created the rectangle
Selected "carve region" on the rectangle and set the depth so that it is smooth with the text
Using the ctrl key, selected both text and rectangle, clicked on the layout tab and selected group
Selected outline, cutpath, with .25 as max depth on each pass
Then selected the outer cutpath and clicked "flip cut"

Is this along the lines of what you are looking for?
Brady

mtylerfl
11-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Just to mention...this did NOT work this way in earlier versions of Designer. Used to be that you could not select a pattern and a vector (even within a group) for outlining the combined perimeter. Now you can.