PDA

View Full Version : can you connect copied or mirrored lines?

stephanilynn
11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Hopefully I can explain this right...I am trying to draw a closed object so i can cut it out but i want it to be symmetrical so I started with one side (which is a combination of arcs and straight lines) and then copied it and flipped it verically and spaced them the distance i want them apart. then when I draw the vertical line to connect to 2 horizontal sides it skews my arcs and changes the whole thing. Am I doing something wrong? If someone has the answer I would totally appreciate it!
-Stephani

thelittleboxshop
11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Stephani;

I would suggest using the "connected lines tool." The first mpc file shows the design using this tool. The second shows the result after the two intersections were converted to curves. I don't have a pic of what you are trying to do but hope this helps.

P.S. drawings done freehand...you will want to use the grid and the "snap to" option so yours is exactly symmetrical.

Jeff_Birt
11-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Mirrored lines cannot be connected to form one object, that is a software limitation. If you have used curves/arcs and do not constrain (attach) the end points they can do weird things at times.

stephanilynn
11-04-2008, 03:20 PM
here are attachments of what I was trying to do if that helps...

LollyWood
11-05-2008, 12:36 AM
This is how I was tought a few months ago.

1: Always use grid, center, and snap on. (To start) Snap can be turned on/off as needed. (I like to use the toggle texture off. easier on older eyes ;))

2: Hor/Vert lines are square w/ board edges. Use connect line tool. This became important to keep drawing square. (Thanks Chris) Snap will help w/ this.

3: You can set arc angle manually, just click em and add #. This ensures matching arcs.

4: Ensure your "designer board" is sized right to accomadate your project. Your "real board" will have the 7" on the ends and 3/4 (+) on the widths for cut outs.

$: Go nuts. If you can imgine it, give it a try. What's the worst? Designer says no?

I redid 1/2 of your orginal to demonstrate how this works. Just re trace the upper lines (w/ connect tool and arcs matching) and you should be where you want to be I'm thinking.

Good luck and please post the finish project
Would LOVE to see it,