PDA

View Full Version : To 3D or not to 3D!

Ike
11-04-2008, 01:02 AM
That is the question! Messing with patterns and looking at some other patterns in the pattern store. Concluded my leaf type patterns are real close to what I see as 3D. Has been fun, learn by doing rather then reading. I get more satisfaction when I figure it out on my own.

Re-worked the pump again and was able to add more detail still giving a more 3D effect. A self portrait and not bad?

If anything they are better then the first set I have shared......Oh man all those patterns to re-work!!!

Hope I don't forget all I figure out tonight, tomorrow!

Ike

PS Just for giggles I tried some letters, Ike tell me what you think?

Firedkm
11-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Ike,
I think you have it buddy. Great job.

Dale

skeeterman
11-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey Ike , checking out your 3d ptns . awsome work thanks for all your contributions.

eromran
11-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Ike i would agree looks like you have it down. Just to show how much better it looks why don't you post your 3D veiw of your name next to a veiw of how you would have done it when you first started that way new people reading this post could see the progress.

Ike
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Ed, as you suggested here is how I use to make patterns, IE Ike and the new and improved.

Ike

fwharris
11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Ike,

Buddy you have made the jump. Great improvement on
3-D look in just a few months.

Now, like you said, get busy with those other patterns!

Great Job!

Ike
11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Guess I should be posting these in the patterns sharing and will start soon. But still practicing so I will share these here!

Ike

LollyWood
11-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Ike,
Very Very VERY nice work bud. You've slipped into a new and exciting world. Thanks for sharing your progress w/ us. Can't wait to see the next installment.
(CRACK) Now get back to work!! hehehehehehehehehe;)

carve-carve-sweep-beer...carve-carve-sweep-beer

Ike
11-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks Bernie! Bet it is still nice and warm in Vegas!

Ike

Ike
11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
A few more to share!

Ike

fwharris
11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Ike,

Going to have to start calling you the "Master"! this last set is top notch. When I imported the eagle I lowered it one step and the mountains went to an outline. Nice effect to the eagle.

Keeper up!

jpaluck
11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Looking good Ike...I think we need to give you your own pattern sharing spot on the forum...they getting better looking

John

Ike
11-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Thank you my friends.....Master not hardly, the masters in here are Michael and HT and James B, Jon Jantz and the list goes on!

Still appreciate the compliments!!! I enjoy sharing them!

Ike

Ike
11-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Looking good Ike...I think we need to give you your own pattern sharing spot on the forum...they getting better looking

John

John, you are making my head swell!!!

Any request? I will be going away for the weekend, but will have my laptop with me. We have a 8 hour drive and our GMC Acadia has a 110 power outlet and can plug in my laptop. Give me something to do, going to have the wife drive!

Ike

Ike
11-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Must be getting faster! A few more.

Ike

JVallario
11-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Ike - I think I have a challenge for you. A friend who is one of those old fashioned hand carvers asked if I could make a model of some skulls and crossbones stacked. My futile attempts lack any curvature he is looking for.

For some reason the attachment function isn't working this morning. Is there another way to give you the jpg?

I think I just got it...

edzbaker
11-06-2008, 09:45 AM
You might be able to use these, by stacking them the way you want.

chop
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Ike
Really like some of your patterns.keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Audie
11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
You might be able to use these, by stacking them the way you want.

"Any files posted -and-or- uploaded by me are strictly to illustrate the abilities -and-or- capabilities of the Carvewright Machine -and-or- the Carvewright Designer program, and may, -or- may not be copy protected material. Downloading, using, or reproducing carvings by using the aforementioned files is strictly prohibited. They are posted for demonstration purposes only. The files may not be used for any other purpose."
How's that ?

Hmmmm......so based on the disclaimer these files MAY NOT be downloaded, used or reproduced...so why post them? Maybe a picture would be better.

Me thinks that there needs to be yet another topic other than "Gallery" for folks to post stuff they DO NOT want members to access.

JMHO
Audie

Ike
11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmmmm......so based on the disclaimer these files MAY NOT be downloaded, used or reproduced...so why post them? Maybe a picture would be better.

Me thinks that there needs to be yet another topic other than "Gallery" for folks to post stuff they DO NOT want members to access.

JMHO
Audie

Audie, you lost me are you saying my patterns should not be shared?

Ike

Audie
11-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Audie, you lost me are you saying my patterns should not be shared?

Ike

Ike....no, I was referring to the post by edzbaker...a couple back (#17). Read the disclaimer of his post.

Audie

Ike
11-06-2008, 12:40 PM
OH Oh got ya I see it now! Guess he posted it to cover his a$$? Shoot I get most of my patterns from Corel. That is what they are for to be used, so I use them and share them!

Ike

Audie
11-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Ike,

Sharing is what makes this forum so awesome! I appreciate you and all of the other members who share freely.

We each have a responsibility not to post commercial or copyrighted materials - other than that sharing our creations for others to advance themselves is a wonderful thing!

Keep up the fantastic contributions! You rock Ike!

Audie

skeeterman
11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I couldnt agree more. i want to thank every body for sharing their ptns.
I myself am not good with computers, so you and others that share their patterns have helped so many of us that are computer challenged.
You have my total appreciation!!
Steve

Ike
11-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Thank you, I really don't look for a pat on the back! I have asked in the past for a pattern and members have came through. I have bought some patterns too. I hope I can start making my own. They won't be as good as the professionals make, but they have the expensive software to make it!

I appreciate though and will keep trying to get better!

Ike

atauer
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Ike,

You dont need expensive software to make patterns. All of mine are made using the Pattern Editor software and photoshop/corel draw.

Ike
11-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Alex, use Corel Draw X3 and it wasn't too cheap!!! Still trying to get better, at the very least the patterns look better!

Ike

PS LOVE THE BUBBLE WRAP!!!!!

Bubbabear
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Ike,

Sharing is what makes this forum so awesome! I appreciate you and all of the other members who share freely.

We each have a responsibility not to post commercial or copyrighted materials - other than that sharing our creations for others to advance themselves is a wonderful thing!

Keep up the fantastic contributions! You rock Ike!

Audie

IKE I agree with Audie here you are great and appreciated for those of us that are graphic design challenged you are fantastic. And I personally appreciate all the great people who still freely share their great work and ideas

Ike
11-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Can't stop here is my daily, so far daily contribution!

Ike

brady.schwyhart
11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Ike,
Keep em coming! You are definately kickin some serious butt with your patterns!
Brady

Ike
11-08-2008, 02:30 PM
John you might want to go with Ed's patterns. The picture you posted is not the best to make a pattern from. At least from my limited expertise! Tried but it didn't come out well and the background is in the pattern.

Will keep trying!

Ike

CABINET MAN
11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
What Program Are Us Using To Do Your Patterns

CABINET MAN
11-08-2008, 03:08 PM
That is the question! Messing with patterns and looking at some other patterns in the pattern store. Concluded my leaf type patterns are real close to what I see as 3D. Has been fun, learn by doing rather then reading. I get more satisfaction when I figure it out on my own.

Re-worked the pump again and was able to add more detail still giving a more 3D effect. A self portrait and not bad?

If anything they are better then the first set I have shared......Oh man all those patterns to re-work!!!

Hope I don't forget all I figure out tonight, tomorrow!

Ike

PS Just for giggles I tried some letters, Ike tell me what you think?

WHAT PROGRAM ARE YOU USING?

Ike
11-09-2008, 01:28 AM
WHAT PROGRAM ARE YOU USING?

Cabinet man guess I didn't answer fast enough?! :rolleyes: The answer Corel

Ike

Ike
11-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Felt sporty using COREL! Enjoy!

Ike

JVallario
11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
John you might want to go with Ed's patterns. The picture you posted is not the best to make a pattern from. At least from my limited expertise! Tried but it didn't come out well and the background is in the pattern.

Will keep trying!

Ike

I removed the background but still didn't have much luck. Ed's pattern is nice but my friend is trying to duplicate the pic I posted as a door to his steam room. Personally I'd be afraid to try a steam room with a door like that. Seems like it would the spa of death. But maybe that's his point. I appreaciate your attempts - and Ed's.

Ike
11-09-2008, 01:29 PM
John, know it looks like the background is gone, but it is not. This is the best I can do. Set your height to 999 and draft to large and it is not too bad.

Ike

jpaluck
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Ike,

I think this thread is your new pattern gallery....pattern sharing by Ike..LOL your looking better

John

Ike
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Yes I have staked my claim!!! Here is my daily contribution!

Ike

JVallario
11-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks Ike - Thats much better than I every got. I'll show him a print and see what he thinks. When are you going to start traveling the country as an instructor?

MikeMcCoy
11-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I obviously haven't spent enough time trying to master Corel Draw. Nice work Ike as it seems like you are quickly mastering the software.

Ike
11-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Thank you Mike, master....no! Slowly learning maybe! Gave some Elks a try, you will need to reset the depth and height to 999. As I get better I will try to get these better! Still need to get the correct gray scale.

Ike

Ike
11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
A few more, know I should be using the pattern sharing thread, but I have staked my claim!!!

Ike

Ike
11-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Been busy! One more how about a book end?

Ike

jcorder
11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Been busy!

Ike

Ike,
I hope you don't mind, my wife is a kindergarten teacher and she says your snowman is just perfect for this sign!

skeeterman
11-12-2008, 07:25 PM
thanks Ike for all your sharing.
Steve

MikeMcCoy
11-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Alright Ike - you've given everyone a couple hundred patterns to carve, so where is yours? :)

All kidding aside, I have used several of your patterns and it is truly appreciated.

Ike
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Ike,
I hope you don't mind, my wife is a kindergarten teacher and she says your snowman is just perfect for this sign!

Shoot no I don't mind!!! I make these patterns to share and to use! I appreciate everybody thanks!

Ike

Ike
11-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Alright Ike - you've given everyone a couple hundred patterns to carve, so where is yours? :)

All kidding aside, I have used several of your patterns and it is truly appreciated.
Mike I have all the patterns saved!

Ike

Ike
11-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Get your patterns!

Ike

Ike
11-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Any request? I need some ideas!

Ike

jcorder
11-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Ike,
What program do you use besides designer? I am trying to find a good program for line art as well as one to convert jpg files.

Thanks
Jeff

skeeterman
11-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey Ike , How about a bass boat and a fisherman?

thanks Steve.

Ike
11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Ike,
What program do you use besides designer? I am trying to find a good program for line art as well as one to convert jpg files.

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff I use Corel Draw X3, I have designer, but never used it to make a pattern

Ike

Ike
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM

thanks Steve.

A challenge!!!!! See what I can do!

Ike

jcorder
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the info, I have been thinking about downloading x4 to try.

Ike
11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Sorry was off looking for bass boat! Have 1,000's patterns no bass boat! Yes I have tried X4 it is different then X3. Might upgrade one day? Stopped investing in woodworking stuff, going to try a different business better for my health. Going to move and need any extra money for the new business and home. But that will be most likely in the spring, will let you know if it works until then I am keeping it hush hush ;)

Still will be making patterns though!

Ike

andes
11-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Any request? I need some ideas!

Ike

Got a really hard one for ya' "Snow Owl"

supershingler
11-17-2008, 08:22 PM
ike

do you have a pattern for a wood shake look that i can carve
im building a log cabin toy box for my grandson for christmas and would like to have a realistic roof look. im making the logs for the side wall to save the carver for other projects. but i would like to do something nice on the roof with the carver if possible

any and all help appreciated

i thought someone had a pattern but a search came up empty

thanks

kendall

Ike
11-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Kendall and Andrea, I do have a few snow owls and will try to find the wood shake. Would a cabin pattern work or are you making a real cabin project?

Anyway need to make dinner will be back in an hour or so

Ike

andes
11-17-2008, 09:05 PM
ike

do you have a pattern for a wood shake look that i can carve
im building a log cabin toy box for my grandson for christmas and would like to have a realistic roof look. im making the logs for the side wall to save the carver for other projects. but i would like to do something nice on the roof with the carver if possible

any and all help appreciated

i thought someone had a pattern but a search came up empty

thanks

kendall

Kendall,

See if this post will help you

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4621&highlight=roof

supershingler
11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
ike

im took pieces of pine and ran them through the router table with a 1/2" roundover bit on both side then ripped them on the table saw to make the materials for the walls.

his room is in a outdoors theme so i thought a log cabin toy box would be fitting.

andes

i think that shingle pattern might work but was looking for something a little more wood shake looking

thanks

kendall

Ike
11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
ike

im took pieces of pine and ran them through the router table with a 1/2" roundover bit on both side then ripped them on the table saw to make the materials for the walls.

his room is in a outdoors theme so i thought a log cabin toy box would be fitting.

andes

i think that shingle pattern might work but was looking for something a little more wood shake looking

thanks

kendall

There I go not reading! You know a easier way to make a rustic wood shake is to taper the board then wire brush it. Then burn it really dark and then go over it with a watery gray paint. To taper the board if you have a band saw you can make 2 shakes at once. Draw a line on the edge like below and cut it.

andes
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Kendell,

Here's something, maybe Ike can work it a bit more to give it a 3D look.

Ike
11-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Got a really hard one for ya' "Snow Owl"

Here is one I have another one but I am having trouble importing. My designer is freezing. I import as far as getting it to the one window you can resize invert, etc. Then when I try to save the pattern it freezes. It is making me MAD :mad: !

Ike

Ike
11-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Kendell,

Here's something, maybe Ike can work it a bit more to give it a 3D look.

Here is the best I can get it. I did add some wood texture you may be able to use to make individual shakes?

Ike

supershingler
11-18-2008, 07:52 AM
thanks for the help andes and ike

ill carve up a little of each and decided which one i will use

thanks again

kendall

MetroGnome
11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Has anyone tried Google's SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/) for 3D modeling?

Ike
11-19-2008, 02:08 PM

thanks Steve.

Sorry Steve, couldn't find any bass boat clip art good enough to make a pattern. Maybe another member can help.

If there is any animals, cars, plants etc. I might be able to help.

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
11-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Has anyone tried Google's SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/) for 3D modeling?

Yes

It dosen't convert well. I dumped it and went with Punch Viacad v.6 a few weeks ago. Still learning to use it but the 3d modeling is really good. Wire frames and rendering are pretty cool. The best part is you can export to jpg and bmp file formats amoung many others. It is actually easer to use then autocad.

Ike
11-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Here is one I have another one but I am having trouble importing. My designer is freezing. I import as far as getting it to the one window you can resize invert, etc. Then when I try to save the pattern it freezes. It is making me MAD :mad: !

Ike

Figured out why the designer was freezing during importing a pattern. Had too many patterns saved. Went into the saved files and deleted some patterns and now no problems.

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Figured out why the designer was freezing during importing a pattern. Had too many patterns saved. Went into the saved files and deleted some patterns and now no problems.

Ike

Ike create a new file and save the patterns there. Import them when you are going to use them. Then deleat it from the libiray this will also allow the designer to load faster. (this was LG's idea and it works)

Ike
11-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Guess this as good as it going to get. Been trying to make it more 3D, no progress. What can I say I am a rookie.

4 more to share.

Ike

Dan-Woodman
11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Ike
How about trying a Horse head bookend? Maybe not quite as muskular as the Bud horse.
Thanks later Daniel

Ike
11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Daniel, here is the horse head, if you like enjoy!

Ike

luckettg
11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Shoot no I don't mind!!! I make these patterns to share and to use! I appreciate everybody thanks!
Ike

I too want to say THANKS!!!!:)

You are inspiring me to spend more time learning how to use the software packages to do things I did not even know could be done with them.:eek:

MikeMcCoy
11-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I guess my age is showing but I've spent quite a few hours going through the Corel documentation and I haven't begun to figure out how he does that so fast. I think we need to get a bunch of people and hijack Ike and convince hime to write a how-to on the whole operation. :)

Ike
11-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Greg you are welcomed! Mike you need to check out www.allcw.com and get the Corel help videos. So patterns take minutes others almost an hour!

Ike

Ike
11-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Some more for awhile.

Ike

Ike
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Still waiting for any request or I guess this will be it. Fun while it lasted!

Ike

fwharris
11-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Still waiting for any request or I guess this will be it. Fun while it lasted!

Ike

Ike,

Draw up a CW power supply, carve it and mail it to me!

Just kidding! Sounds like you have re done all of your patterns and you are at a loss of what to do next.

Have you tried doing a quail? That could be a good challenge!

SawdustSteve
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
FiddlemakerMills,

Now that you have been using ViaCad for awhile... what do you think? Does it translate well into carvable images?

I have been looking for an affordable 3D CAD but would like some opinions before making the investment.

Thanks,

Steve

skeeterman
11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey ike , you give on the Bass boat and fisherman?
Thanks for all your ptns
Steve

FiddlemakerMills
11-25-2008, 06:09 PM
FiddlemakerMills,

Now that you have been using ViaCad for awhile... what do you think? Does it translate well into carvable images?

I have been looking for an affordable 3D CAD but would like some opinions before making the investment.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

So far I have been having fair results, i think that it is pilot error, I haven't been designing much lately. Shop time is taking most of the day. The punch viacad v.6 will export to jpg or bmp. I have experminted with that but the carves are not that good. I was thinking of using two patterns, one rough cut and one finish cut. The depth of the rough cut would be 75% by removing most of the material the stress and vibration on the machine is reduced. I know that it increases the carve time but I hope it will increase the accuracy also. I will convert a OH-58 file that I have to jpg and see how it does.

I found V.5 at Staples for 85.00 with 30.00 mail in rebate. Then up graded to V.6 for 30.00 through their web site. So far I like it better then AutoCad

Carl

SawdustSteve
11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks FiddlemakerMills.

I saw the Pro version at Staples but did not check the version... that's a good idea though.

I'm going to download the trial and see what I can do with this.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

Ike
11-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey ike , you give on the Bass boat and fisherman?
Thanks for all your ptns
Steve

Steve, didn't give just couldn't find any picture that would work or not cost anything to use.

Carl have plenty of patterns left, don't know?

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
11-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Steve, didn't give just couldn't find any picture that would work or not cost anything to use.

Carl have plenty of patterns left, don't know?

Ike

Ike

I have been looking for one to convert but no luck so far.
I even tried another forum for a dfx file. But nothing that matches.

mtylerfl
11-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Steve

So far I have been having fair results, i think that it is pilot error, I haven't been designing much lately. Shop time is taking most of the day. The punch viacad v.6 will export to jpg or bmp. I have experminted with that but the carves are not that good.
Carl

Hi Carl,

It is key that the program be able to export the 2½D or 3D model in a greyscale heightmap for best results. An exported 16-bit greyscale tiff rendition of the model is preferable, then the greyscale is converted to an 8-bit png with a transparent (black) background in a photo editor (PhotoShop or similar program) prior to conversion to a CarveWright ptn file. Starting with a 16-bit file eliminates a lot of "stepping" when converted to 8-bit. Someday I hope that the CarveWright software will support 16-bit heightmap imports - carvings would be even better quality than we already have.

I am not familiar with ViaCad at all. Does it have the ability to export greyscale heightmaps in any standard lossless graphic format? (tiff, png, bmp have no quality loss...jpg is not suitable because of the loss in quality and artifacts it introduces...jpg spoils a good heightmap)

There are a lot of inexpensive (and expensive) modeling programs out there, but relatively few are able to export the model as a 16-bit greyscale heightmap. Just curious if ViaCad can.

Thanks in advance!

FiddlemakerMills
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi Carl,

It is key that the program be able to export the 2½D or 3D model in a greyscale heightmap for best results. An exported 16-bit greyscale tiff rendition of the model is preferable, then the greyscale is converted to an 8-bit png with a transparent (black) background in a photo editor (PhotoShop or similar program) prior to conversion to a CarveWright ptn file. Starting with a 16-bit file eliminates a lot of "stepping" when converted to 8-bit. Someday I hope that the CarveWright software will support 16-bit heightmap imports - carvings would be even better quality than we already have.

I am not familiar with ViaCad at all. Does it have the ability to export greyscale heightmaps in any standard lossless graphic format? (tiff, png, bmp have no quality loss...jpg is not suitable because of the loss in quality and artifacts it introduces...jpg spoils a good heightmap)

There are a lot of inexpensive (and expensive) modeling programs out there, but relatively few are able to export the model as a 16-bit greyscale heightmap. Just curious if ViaCad can.

Thanks in advance!

bmp is covered but I havent tried that one so far. The main reason I got this one was for the trucks that I have been building. Here is a list of the file types that it will export to;
v.5 Shark
ACIS.SAT v17.0
ADOBE ILLISTRATOR
BMP
CGM
DWG/DFX R12
EPS
FACET
FACT mm
IGES 3D model space
AutoCad
Solidworks
PRO/E
ALIAS
JPG
RAW
STEP
STL ascii
binary

VIEWPOINT MEDIA
VRML v1.0
v2.0
WAVEFRONT OBJ

I will have to give the bmp file export a try.

Carl

FiddlemakerMills
11-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Here is an mpc that still shows the wireframe model. I think that I have some more practice ahead of me. This pattern on the mpc was exported with the bmp format. The shading scale is set to 16. When converted to a png this is the result. There is also solid modeling features that I havent tried to far.

coop2739
11-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Ike,

How about a Pattern of a 1932 Ford coupe. I could sure use one to impress my son's father-in-law.

mtylerfl
11-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Here is an mpc that still shows the wireframe model. I think that I have some more practice ahead of me. This pattern on the mpc was exported with the bmp format. The shading scale is set to 16. When converted to a png this is the result. There is also solid modeling features that I havent tried to far.

Sorry to say, that won't do at all. The resolution is way too low, and there is a ton of "stair-stepping" on the bitmap.

What is needed is a high-res export of a greyscale heightmap in a lossless format. Not sure if the software can do it or not.

Please keep us posted on what you find out as you experiment further.

Ike
11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
It is all foreign to me I use Corel. So unless you are telling Michael I am wasting my time using it and not even getting 2 1/2 D Otherwise I not sure what everyone is talking about.

Ike

Ike
11-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Ike,

How about a Pattern of a 1932 Ford coupe. I could sure use one to impress my son's father-in-law.

Hope this will work, have it in 2D and what I call 3D. Plus add another hot rod.

Ike

coop2739
11-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks Ike for the Patterns they look great I'll post a Picture after the carving is done. Got a lot of carving to do for Christmas. Thanks again.

coop2739
11-29-2008, 08:12 AM
I am in need of a pattern of the Army Corp of Engineers Essayons Button. Anyone have an idea of where i can get a pattern or a button to scan?

Kenm810
11-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I found a few small photos,
but no usable patterns,
there should be one out there.

coop2739
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Ken,

The Button in the middle of your pictures is what I would like to find. If I could find one I could scan it for a pattern. That is if no one has a pattern. Thanks for looking.

ruggybear
12-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Ike,

Very nice patterns. How about a 29 Model 'A' Ford and a 1965 Ford Mustang GT350?

Sure would like to see a turotial on how you do it. I have Corel X3 but have not spent the time required to use it very well.

Thanks,

Ken

Azbear
12-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Hope this will work, have it in 2D and what I call 3D. Plus add another hot rod.

Ike

How about a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. 428 Cobrajet?

Ike
12-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Been trying on the Mustangs, don't have a 32 model A and coop trying the Army engineer corp, but need a better picture. It would help if anyone needs a pattern, you supply a clear picture I can use to make the pattern

Ike

cnsranch
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey, Ike - if the attached helps, I've got a bunch - it's not a CobraJet, but it's close.

Let me know, I can send you higher res in a PM.

ruggybear
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Ike,

I can send hi res jpg if it will help

Ken

cnsranch
12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Ken

They kinda "go fast" just sittin' there, don't they?

Azbear
12-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey, Ike - if the attached helps, I've got a bunch - it's not a CobraJet, but it's close.

Let me know, I can send you higher res in a PM.

Holly crap!!. That's the same color scheme as my Cobra Jet back in the day!!!! I do see some differences in basic body style, but, YUP, that's it. I sold it back in '78ish for $1200.00. Some ten years later, my insurance guy told me he sold his in California at auction for about $35K.

So young and so unaware, too old, to smart, to late?

Nice car though huh?

Bear

ruggybear
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Belongs to a friend of mine in Michigan's UP. He also has a 1929 model A that he has had since he was 16 (now retired) and it still runs.

Ken

FiddlemakerMills
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Ike, and the rest of the stang fans, I tried the conversion with the jpg that was posted. Had problems with the two tone not converting well and the tires need more work. The rear QP dosen't seem to want to shape correctly no mater what I have tried. So here is the pattern and the last generation jpg. If you convert it to png file it will convert better.

Carl

Ike
12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks Carl, deleted my pattern your's looks great. Time for me to step down and let those who know what they are doing make the patterns!

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Ike please don't stop with the patterns. I just got lucky with this one. Yours are great keep posting them.

Carl.

Ike
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Carl, just was frustrated with this one, besides you have better software! It starting to take me longer and longer to make a pattern. Not much fun anymore and I don't want to be a hypocrite and start selling the patterns.

Ike

HelpBot3000
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Ken

They kinda "go fast" just sittin' there, don't they?

When I read that I thought about that part in "Talladega Nights" when Will Ferrell raised his hand and said "I wanna go fast" :)

cnsranch
12-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Putting together the shadow box for my Mom's litho (M&D's wedding pic from 1939). Would like to put the attached on the box.

Can you help 3D?

Thanks

Ike
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Sorry CNS this is the best I can do

Ike

cnsranch
12-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I knew you'd give it a shot, Ike.

What do you think of the attached?

Ike
12-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I knew you'd give it a shot, Ike.

What do you think of the attached?

Very nice, did you use the first pattern? I like the plaque and I am sure so will your parents!

I am not quiting all together just slowing down!

Ike

cnsranch
12-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Actually, I messed around with the png as you were working on it as well.

This will be the top of the litho box I carved last month - I'll post pics once done.

Thanks always for your help.

Ike
12-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Thought so, couldn't get the edges straight. Plus it looked like it already was set with Gaussian blur.

Oh well I tried, can only do so much with Corel. Thought about buying a different 3D software, but getting out of the wood working business. Going keep my CW, but selling my table saw, radial arm, jointer and other equipment.

Ike

mtylerfl
12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Thought so, couldn't get the edges straight. Plus it looked like it already was set with Gaussian blur.

Oh well I tried, can only do so much with Corel. Thought about buying a different 3D software, but getting out of the wood working business. Going keep my CW, but selling my table saw, radial arm, jointer and other equipment.

Ike

Hello Ike,

Might want to hang on to either your table or radial saw - you'll still need to cut board lengths for your CarveWright projects!

Ike
12-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Messed with a few last night, it was brought to my attention this thread is rated 5 stars! I am honored by all who voted. So enjoy these few patterns.

Ike

fwharris
12-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Ike,
5 stars for sure. this is one of the longest running threads as well.

Thumbs up on the deer scene and parrot.

skeeterman
12-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Ike you are the man thanks for all your sharing.
Steve

SawdustSteve
12-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I typically don't get very much time to play around... so I decided to indulge myself this morning! :)

I liked the anniversary rings requested by cnsranch so much that I made up a ptn of my own.

Use it if you like it!

Steve

Ike
12-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I typically don't get very much time to play around... so I decided to indulge myself this morning! :)

I liked the anniversary rings requested by cnsranch so much that I made up a ptn of my own.

Use it if you like it!

Steve

Steve, I LIKE IT!!! so what software are you using?

Ike

SawdustSteve
12-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Steve, I LIKE IT!!! so what software are you using?

Ike

I did that in Corel Draw. Although I am thinking of testing out a few of the 3D modeling programs... Corel Draw works out pretty well for me at the moment.

Steve

Ike
12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Screwed up sorry for the silly poll. Don't know how to delete it, shoot it lowered the rating. Sorry I tried to retract it after posting it. Will continue to post on forum.

Ike

Ike
12-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi Ike,

Whew! Glad to hear your not getting rid of those tools without replacements!

Sorry that your woodworking biz is down. That can put the ol' creativity in a slump if you let it. At some point, I'll bet you can think of innovative ways to fill a niche in your area to get your woodworking business prospering again.

One other thing that I hope will bring you some relief and peace-of-mind... who on earth said you would be a hypocrite selling your patterns? Certainly not anyone here! Just because you have donated a "jillion" free items doesn't preclude you from selling some too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a person getting paid for their knowledge, skill, time and hard work. Nobody would find fault with you or anyone else, for trying to make an honest living. Hypocrite? Of course not.:D

All the Best!

Ug deleted the original post hoping the poll would be deleted too. So members won't think you are crazy here is a bit of the post deleted.

Michael, I didn't mention I have a brand new table saw, radial arm and jointer! Ever been in a mood that really brings you down? Dumb question, I am in one my woodworking business is down and the cash flow is down. So I am going to try another business adventure.

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
12-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Looks like the stars are coming back:)

Ike
12-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Yes but still trying to remove poll! Must be an act of congress! What was I thinking? Plus the poll doesn't make sense, yea, nay for what to keep in forum or start a website!!! LOL I need some more crazy drugs!

Ike

whr1900
12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
How about something to take your mind off of the poll Ike, By the way I voted yeah.
Seems you like to try things with patterns so do you think you can turn this into a carveable pattern it is the patch from my Fire Dept and I want to turn it into a carved sign.

PS
Hope you are giving up the woodworking for good reasons seems like you really have a talent.

William

supershingler
12-06-2008, 08:45 PM
william

here is a file of a plaque i made for one of our volunteer fireman

you could add the eagle and flags to it i think

good luck

kendall

Ike
12-07-2008, 01:06 AM
How about something to take your mind off of the poll Ike, By the way I voted yeah.
Seems you like to try things with patterns so do you think you can turn this into a carveable pattern it is the patch from my Fire Dept and I want to turn it into a carved sign.

PS
Hope you are giving up the woodworking for good reasons seems like you really have a talent.

William

William, maybe Carl can help? I have trouble with photos, if you have a clipart type image I might be able to help.

Thank you for your support, reason as Kendall say no chips on the floor no money! No chips on my floor!

Ike

cnsranch
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Steve

The Anniversary ptn is perfect! Thanks.

Ike
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I did that in Corel Draw. Although I am thinking of testing out a few of the 3D modeling programs... Corel Draw works out pretty well for me at the moment.

Steve

Steve that is what I use, mind sharing the steps you took?

Ike

bjbethke
12-07-2008, 07:00 PM

PS

William
I messed around with your PDF today. This pattern is a little rough, maybe you can use it.

whr1900
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
BJB

Thanks I am going to try hopefully Wed., I am pouring concrete floor in the shop tommorrow and Tues. Can't wait to get back up and running hadn't done anything in over a week.

Ike
I know how it feels I am hoping to start selling next year. Planning on hitting all of our Fire Seminars in the area.
Still though your good at what you do and that has to count for something.

William
:-D:-D

SawdustSteve
12-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Steve that is what I use, mind sharing the steps you took?

Ike

Ike,

Certainly... but not tonight, sorry. I've been working on a problem for the past several hours (see Scanning Software Problem) and I think my better-half is getting annoyed at me.

I'll write a description (hopefully tomorrow) that I can e-mail to whoever wants it.

Is that okay?

Steve

Ike
12-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Ike,

Certainly... but not tonight, sorry. I've been working on a problem for the past several hours (see Scanning Software Problem) and I think my better-half is getting annoyed at me.

I'll write a description (hopefully tomorrow) that I can e-mail to whoever wants it.

Is that okay?

Steve

Steve that is fine, don't want to cause trouble with the better half! What version of Corel to you use? Can't wait to see the steps!

Ike

Ike
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I want to thank all of you for the support you have given to me! That said I also want to say sorry. I started out making patterns to share and then turned around and asked if anybody would be willing to pay for them. Shame on me I have shared 464 patterns and now ask for donations? Who am I to ask for donations I can only do some patterns in 3D and when asked for special request I am hit and miss, not even good enough to think I can sell patterns!

Thank you for putting me back on the right path. If any of the administrators are reading this please remove my silly poll.

Ike

HelpBot3000
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I want to thank all of you for the support you have given to me! That said I also want to say sorry. I started out making patterns to share and then turned around and asked if anybody would be willing to pay for them. Shame on me I have shared 464 patterns and now ask for donations? Who am I to ask for donations I can only do some patterns in 3D and when asked for special request I am hit and miss, not even good enough to think I can sell patterns!

Thank you for putting me back on the right path. If any of the administrators are reading this please remove my silly poll.

Ike

Ike, we have all seen the work you do. You are very gifted at pattern design and most of the folks on this forum have either used your work or told you how impressed they were. Now whether or not you charge for your work I won't presume to tell you what to do. However, to say that you aren't good enough isn't fair to you. Sure, there are places to improve but that is what we are all doing on this forum to begin with. :) I guess what I'm saying is, keep up the great work and don't cut yourself short. I'm sure there are at least a couple of people around this board that would agree.

atauer
12-08-2008, 03:13 PM
If any of the administrators are reading this please remove my silly poll.

Ike

Ike,

I don't think that your poll is silly. I also agree with the helpbot on this one. You are cutting yourself short when there is no reason for it. Everyone on here is here for one thing and that is to better themselves. I myself am not great at making patterns, but I'm learning. Keep up the great work, as you come up with some really great patterns.

Also, I wasn't able to remove the poll, (yet. Still trying to.) I did however, close it so no one else could vote. It should be gone by later this afternoon.

Keep up the great work!

****UPDATE****

Ike, I finally figured it out. Your poll has been removed, at your request of course.

:)

Ike
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Thank you HB and Alex didn't want to over step my boundaries. As you may have guessed by now well my bubble on my level is a half a bubble off! So please all bare with me!

Thanks again,

Ike

SawdustSteve
12-08-2008, 06:56 PM
To answer your question, Corel X3.

As promised, I put together a "how to" document for you. It's not perfect, but it is my way of saying "Thank-you" for the contributions made to the forum.

I have to admit, I have many of your patterns and never actually bothered to offer thanks.

...so "thanks"!:D

I didn't look to see if your e-mail is in your profile. If not, send me a PM of where I can e-mail the file.

Steve

Ike
12-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Some X-mas patterns

Ike

SawdustSteve
12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Ike,

I sent you the file, so you may want to check your e-mail when you get the chance.

Take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks again,

Steve

whr1900
12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Ike a I said a couple of frames ago great work and keep it coming. If you want some sort of donation just PM me or email me I am more than glad to pay for fine art.

Stick with IT!!!!

William:-D:-D

Ike
12-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Ike a I said a couple of frames ago great work and keep it coming. If you want some sort of donation just PM me or email me I am more than glad to pay for fine art.

Stick with IT!!!!

William:-D:-D

Not giving up and thanks for the offer will continue to share. Forget the manic brain fart I had!

Ike

AWoodsmith
12-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Some X-mas patterns

Ike
You guys are great, I am getting to carve a lot sseing how I got hurt at work and now have a boken bone in my spine. I carved today bit I am paying for it now. As soon as soon as I get some projects scanned and or created I will share with all. I really appreciate all the work you all do and for allowing us not so talented folks to look good. I apo;ogize for any bad grammer or spelling, these meds mess me up pretty good.

Ed

Ike
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Ed you are not alone in that department! The cool thing I use is the spell check make me look smarter! Now as forth to my grammar they ain't got no feature for that!

Thank you for reminding why I started sharing because other members have came through for me over and over!

Ike

jpaluck
12-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Ike

If you give up then you are nuts...LOL. knowledge is aquired through a million failures..trust me I know..LOL

John

FiddlemakerMills
12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Ike

I need an EMD Disel railroad engine side profile. Not having much luck finding one.

Any Ideas?

Kenm810
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Did you need a Drawing or a photo side profile

Ike
12-09-2008, 07:17 PM
My question is do you need the engine or like what Ken is showing?

Ike

TerryT
12-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Thats a railroad engine?

FiddlemakerMills
12-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Did you need a Drawing or a photo side profile

The side profile of an EMD Gm SD90 just varified the info.
I hope it converts to a carve pretty easy. That looks close enough Ken thanks.

My question is do you need the engine or like what Ken is showing?

Ike

Was looking for one like ken posted but was hoping you had a pattern already made up.

Thanks

Carl

Ike
12-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Thats a railroad engine? Well google emd diesel engine and see what you get! :rolleyes:

Ike

Ike
12-09-2008, 08:18 PM
The side profile of an EMD Gm SD90 just varified the info.
I hope it converts to a carve pretty easy. That looks close enough Ken thanks.

Was looking for one like ken posted but was hoping you had a pattern already made up.

Thanks

Carl

Carl, I might but googled what you typed it lead me to an engine, so wanted to make sure. Do you want me to check or are you going to make the pattern? Nope don't have any clipart like that sorry.

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
12-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Carl, I might but googled what you typed it lead me to an engine, so wanted to make sure. Do you want me to check or are you going to make the pattern? Nope don't have any clipart like that sorry.

Ike

I guess i need to give it a try. couldn't find one in any of the pattern stores either, He is willing to pay for the pattern and that would save me alot of time.

Thanks for looking Ike

Carl

bjbethke
12-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the photo Ken.

Will this pattern work?

FiddlemakerMills
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the photo Ken.

Will this pattern work?

Nice pattern, A plane one with out the graphics is what he is looking for.
He has his own number to put on it with the Norfolk and sothern logo below the carve.

One of these days I will have to get the pattern editor and probe, I think life would be much easier then.

thanks bjbethke

Carl

Dan-Woodman
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Carl
How about useing the mpc and doing "outline pattern"? excellant mpc. , BJB
later Daniel

bjbethke
12-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I took off the number. I used Ken’s photo, and then I used Power Trace in CorelDraw X4, and changed it to a vector image. All I needed to do was pull off the numbers. That’s a great program. Works a little different than my PhotoShop CS2.

badger
12-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Here is a NS without the numbers also.

If you need it I can send you the png file. Too large to post.

FiddlemakerMills
12-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I took off the number. I used Ken’s photo, and then I used Power Trace in CorelDraw X4, and changed it to a vector image. All I needed to do was pull off the numbers. That’s a great program. Works a little different than my PhotoShop CS2.
I have been trying that with Photoshop but havent got that far.
Thanks

Carl
How about useing the mpc and doing "outline pattern"? excellant mpc. , BJB
later Daniel

Great Idea,

Here is a NS without the numbers also.

If you need it I can send you the png file. Too large to post.

I will do a sample of each one and see witch he likes best.

Thanks for the help on this one folks.

Carl

Ike
12-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Sorry Carl, to let you down have had a lot on my mind lately so I haven't tried to make the pattern. I appreciate the rest of you stepping up to help!

Bj downloaded Corel X4 trial, how do you like it. I have only used X3 so how do you like X4?

Ike

MikeMcCoy
12-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Anyone have a simple princess pattern. I tried the commercial sites and didn't find anything. The jpegs I found were too complex.

bjbethke
12-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Ike, this is the first Corel program I have used to make patterns. I have Paint Shop Pro 7; I only use that program to size my images to fit the forum limits.

I have been using Photoshop CS2 with Illustrator, when I learn to use CorelDraw it may be a better program to make PTN’s.

Images (what’s new)

FiddlemakerMills
12-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry Carl, to let you down have had a lot on my mind lately so I haven't tried to make the pattern. I appreciate the rest of you stepping up to help!

Bj downloaded Corel X4 trial, how do you like it. I have only used X3 so how do you like X4?

Ike

Thats ok Ike everyone else jumped in and helped out

Thanks.

AWoodsmith
12-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Ike,

You and the rest of this forum are great for new guys like me, your patterns and knowledge help us all learn. I have been talking to you through the messages and I am enjoying talking to a guy with the same problems and interests as me. Please don't stop what you are doing and that goes for the rest of you guys. I am learning from all of you and well, I would be pretty bored if you all went away. I have downloaded just about everything you all have posted, so believe me when I tell you it is much appreciated by me as well as everyone else I am sure. I do not post a lot as I read alot more and I cannot spell that good or put my thoughts on paper as good as I use to thanks to this back and medication thing. So keep them coming and again THANKS to all.

Ike
12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Ike,

You and the rest of this forum are great for new guys like me, your patterns and knowledge help us all learn. I have been talking to you through the messages and I am enjoying talking to a guy with the same problems and interests as me. Please don't stop what you are doing and that goes for the rest of you guys. I am learning from all of you and well, I would be pretty bored if you all went away. I have downloaded just about everything you all have posted, so believe me when I tell you it is much appreciated by me as well as everyone else I am sure. I do not post a lot as I read alot more and I cannot spell that good or put my thoughts on paper as good as I use to thanks to this back and medication thing. So keep them coming and again THANKS to all.

Ed, fear not I am not going anywhere, just can't make all the patterns and dang it makes me upset. That will change I am practicing so I can someday!

Ike

Ike
12-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Ed, here are the 2 patterns you wanted.

Ike

Ike
12-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Ike,

Very nice patterns. How about a 29 Model 'A' Ford and a 1965 Ford Mustang GT350?

Sure would like to see a turotial on how you do it. I have Corel X3 but have not spent the time required to use it very well.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken, a day late a dollar short here is your 65.....I hope!

Ike

AWoodsmith
12-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Ed, here are the 2 patterns you wanted.

Ike

Ike,

Man you are the greatest, I really appreciate your efforts and your time.

Your New Friend,
Ed

whr1900
12-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Ike
Glad to see you are still at it,
and as I have said in the past AWSOME JOB!!!!!!

William

Ike
12-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you Ed and William I enjoy doing what I can and also appreciate other members who take up the slack when I can't! I can't afford any more software and downloaded Z brush and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I do have other software but I don't think it will convert for CW use.

I just use Corel X3 and make patterns from clipart, I have several and whenever possible for those who need a pattern if you find a picture you like I will try my best to help. Shoot I just search the web and have always found what I was looking for, now being a good enough picture is a different story.

Ike

ruggybear
12-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Ike,

My internet access has been down for a few days. Just got your pattern for the 65 Mustang. Thanks very much, it is appreciated.

Now, how about a short tutorial on how you make these in Coral X3? I have the software, but need a kick start in pattern making.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Regards,

Ken

Ike
12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Ike,

My internet access has been down for a few days. Just got your pattern for the 65 Mustang. Thanks very much, it is appreciated.

Now, how about a short tutorial on how you make these in Coral X3? I have the software, but need a kick start in pattern making.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Regards,

Ken

Ken, go to www.allcw.com and down the tutorials on Corel, no secret that is all I have followed!

Ike

ruggybear
12-16-2008, 04:06 AM
Ike,

Thanks.

Ken

Ike
12-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Merry Christmas!!!!

Ike

liquidguitars
12-16-2008, 11:25 PM
downloaded Z brush and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.
Ike,

your not alone, Z brush is a strange but powerfull program..

For more standered 3D program look at "Mondo". Mondo is a lame name for software, but a good 3D investment plan.. http://www.luxology.com/

LG

Ike
12-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks LG for the info, but my buying software days are over! I'll leave the great 3D patterns to the pro's!

Thanks for the tip!

Ike

Ike
12-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Need requests easy one?

Ike

andes
12-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Need requests easy one?

Ike

How about a Siamese cat/kitten?

Ike
12-22-2008, 11:18 PM
How about a Siamese cat/kitten?

Well one is close, here is what I came up with. The one ct invert it it looks ok.

Ike

ebrowne826
12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Ike,
How about a good Martini Glass pattern.

whr1900
12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Ike
Glad to see you back in the game hope you are doing good.
have you got anything in a nurses symbol.
looked on the web and couldn't find anything that looked good.
William

andes
12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Found this one, maybe Ike can create a pattern for you ;-}

jpaluck
12-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Ike

don't mean to break in ya...was ver fast to do

John

Ike
12-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Ike,
How about a good Martini Glass pattern.

Here you go, hope you like them!

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
12-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Pretty neat Ike. I am putting them on the list.

Thanks

Carl

ebrowne826
12-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks Ike. They look great. I can use them on a 19th. hole
sign I am doing. The pattern I had does not carve very well.
Ed

Ike
12-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Ike
William
Sorry tried too didn't find anything and tried Andrea, no luck. I have this nurse face in my medical patterns. If you can use it please do!

Ike

SawdustSteve
12-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Ike
William

I did a pattern of the nursing badge posted by Andes. I left the text off... adding the text in Designer offers more control over how it carves.

Steve

Ike
01-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Ok this one is all me! Yes I used the image I have for my source to draw this pattern. But I hand drew the picture scanned it and re worked in Corel. Still it is flat and I don't know how to fix it but it is mine!

Ike

bigdoge99
01-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Ike... If you are still taking requests I could really use a wild turkey and a flying mallard 3d pattern. One of these days I will figure out how to do it myself. Seems like everytime I try there to remove a background or adjust a pattern there are "splotches" left over, and it doesn't turn out smooth. Even though it looks good when I finish it. But once added to the CW Designer they show up and ruin the project for me.

Ike
01-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry big, I am on a break until I find out from Corel it is ok to use their clipart to make patterns.

Ike

fwharris
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Ike... If you are still taking requests I could really use a wild turkey and a flying mallard 3d pattern. One of these days I will figure out how to do it myself. Seems like everytime I try there to remove a background or adjust a pattern there are "splotches" left over, and it doesn't turn out smooth. Even though it looks good when I finish it. But once added to the CW Designer they show up and ruin the project for me.

bigdodge99,

Have you done a search in the gallery here for those patterns? I believe Ike has posted some before...

Ike
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Problem is when I was having designer problems, it was suggested to clean out some patterns. I went to the user cp here in the forum and went to my attachments. I thought I needed to clear those attachments too. The problem is I did almost 500 of them and it deleted all the patterns in the forum and I can't get them back!

Dope!

Ike

bigdoge99
01-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks Ike and FW... just my luck. I was hoping this year would be much better. Thanks for all you both have done here. Maybe one day I can repay everyone here.

Ike
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Ike and FW... just my luck. I was hoping this year would be much better. Thanks for all you both have done here. Maybe one day I can repay everyone here.

Bigdog I decided, phooey with it! I am not selling clipart or giving away clipart. I am using software I bought!

I am still seeking Corel's answer and or permission, but until I am told no I am making patterns! I think I reach another lever with Corel, it is not 3D and is 2.5D. So if that works for you...ENJOY!

Here you go big dog!!!

Ike

Ike
01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Did ya hear?...... too quiet.. don't like! Really I accidentally removed all my patterns. Plus I made a break through using Corel. So it 2.5D works for you I will glad to make you a pattern.

Ike

skeeterman
01-04-2009, 08:17 PM
glad to have you back Ike
steve

Ike
01-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Latest update, "That's all folks! It was fun while it lasted, Corel said, for personal use only. I did ask permission, but not holding my breath. I don't even know about the images I find on the web.

There are plenty of sites with copyright free clipart for a fee. Not sure if I will join any of them, there are so many scams out there I don't know if they can be trusted.

Thanks again!

Ike

FINGERS
01-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I can't see it,if you make a pattern from an image off the net and post it as a Free-b how is that breaking copyright law.
Mike

Ike
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I can't see it,if you make a pattern from an image off the net and post it as a Free-b how is that breaking copyright law.
Mike

Mike, I don't know? I wish it was never brought up, all I was trying to do was help others with half way decent patterns. If they needed true 3D we have several great sources.

I tried drawing and making a pattern, but that takes a long time to do. I e-mailed Corel one more time to clarify my question. If I don't get permission, then I can only make patterns for myself ;)

Ike

cnsranch
01-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Ike

I could be wrong, but clip art images that YOU buy, you own to do with what you want. Until, that is, you try to profit from those images.

Images in the Public Domain (i.e., those you find on the internet) are free to use as well, until you try to profit from them.

So, I think you can make patterns and attach them here - you won't get in the soup, 'cause you aren't selling them - you're sharing them with your closest friends :D . However, if I take the pattern and put it on a sign and sell the sign, I'm the one in the soup.

The fact is, in my never-to-be humble opinion, I'm a real small fish in a real big pond - the copyright guys don't want me, they want the guy that's making big bucks.

jcorder
01-06-2009, 02:11 PM
And besides Ike, if they come after you and put you in prison, we will all petition the warden to put you in the woodshop, get you a CW and ask that they let you can connect to the internet so you can still make up patterns! Now how much closer friends can you get than that?

Seriously Ike, I am so sorry you lost the patterns, you are a great source for all of us here. I am sure I have some of your patterns that you have offered to all of us, just let me know if you need something and I will certainly see if I have it.

Good luck and thanks for all you do for the members of this forum
Jeff

Jon Jantz
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, this has been hashed out here a few times in the past, so don't feel bad, Ike. It's definitely not the first time it has come up...

As far as using Corel clip art to make patterns and then put them on the forum here, I think that may be stretching their terms of use... From what I can tell, if you legitimately purchase Corel software, you are licensed to use their clip art for your OWN use. To make patterns of all their clip art and give it away is pretty much the same thing as just giving away their clip art. So if it were okay to do that, it would then be okay for me to make a copy of their entire clip art disk and give it to all my friends to use (and it's not)... just like it would not be right for me to GIVE away a slightly modified pattern from VectorArt or anyone else.

The reason it's not okay to do that is that they have NOT paid money to Corel Corp. and therefore do not have the right to use the clip art.... so technically, if someone else owns Coreldraw, and you use the clip art to make them a pattern, you'd be within the terms of use, since they have the right to use it.

The good news, Ike, is you personally don't really have to worry about it. Corel Corp is NOT going to come after you for posting free patterns. LHR is the ones that will have to deal with it, if it were an issue with Corel Corp. Even though no one is paying for the patterns, they have quite a bit of value to LHR because this forum is good advertisement for them. The free patterns draw people to the site and generate traffic. So they are profiting (indirectly) from clip art that their users do not have the 'right' to use....

So if LHR management has not posted a caution about it, I wouldn't sweat it. It's probably not a big deal... at some point they will probably have to post some exact rules about what is allowed or not allowed in the forums as far as copyrighted clipart.

Until then, keep practicing, sharing, carving and having fun......

badger
01-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Jon is correct. What everyone is referring to under the charging bit is referred to as derivative.

To be copyrightable, a derivative work must be different enough from the original to be regarded as a "new work" or must contain a substantial amount of new material, this also includes taking copyrighted work and just giving it away.

The question that the many many members around the world are still trying to gather is, What is the level or percentage of DIFFERENT ENOUGH. Some in the commercial industry will tell you about 30%.

I dont have a problem with what Ike is doing and I know others dont also including the supposed one that started it, all he was trying to do was assist or help Ike with certain images and had a question about who owned it before he started the work and it was just taken the wrong way is all.

All I can add is if someone ask and you feel like helping them without cost do so if that is your pleasure. If you dont like the patterns just like television dont use it, it is really that simple.

But to be on the fair side about some comments about those that sell patterns

I tried drawing and making a pattern, but that takes a long time to do.
Ike

That is why they get paid to do them.

andes
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Mike, I don't know? I wish it was never brought up, all I was trying to do was help others with half way decent patterns. If they needed true 3D we several great sources.

I tried drawing and making a pattern, but that takes a long time to do. I e-mailed Corel one more time to clarify my question. If I don't get permission, then I can only make patterns for myself ;)

Ike

Ok, so I came in on tge tail end of all of this, let me see if I understand. The issue is that Corel is saying that you can not make patterns using the corel software, unless you are making it for yourself? Or are they saying that you can not use the images/clipart that you get from the web, to produce patterns?

To be honest, if you purchased the software, I don't really see how they can say how you use the software, unless there is something included in the sw license that states that you can not use the software or the clipart for commercial means. Maybe I'm not fully understanding what the issue is. However, I do understand that alot of the images/clipart on the web is copywrite protected and that you have to to get premission from the owner to use their art.

Jon Jantz
01-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Andrea, I was specifically talking about the 'clip art' that comes with the program, if you buy the full version. You are welcome to use that artwork in your own designs, but it would not be legal to simply make a copy of that clip art disk and pass it out to your friends, even if you did it free of charge.

As far as the design programs (Coreldraw, Photopaint, etc.)... you definitely have full rights to whatever you create from scratch.... so no, Corel has no say in what you create with their software.

Ike
01-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Andrea, I was specifically talking about the 'clip art' that comes with the program, if you buy the full version. You are welcome to use that artwork in your own designs, but it would not be legal to simply make a copy of that clip art disk and pass it out to your friends, even if you did it free of charge.

As far as the design programs (Coreldraw, Photopaint, etc.)... you definitely have full rights to whatever you create from scratch.... so no, Corel has no say in what you create with their software.

Ok Jon you have confused me!!! You stated this...To make patterns of all their clip art and give it away is pretty much the same thing as just giving away their clip art. So is , making patterns illegal or the same thing as making a disc and giving it away?

To make it clear I purchased Corel Draw X3 from Office Max and I registered the software with Corel

The comment I wish it never had came up, I meant that exactly I wish this has never happen. But is has and I can not change that. Nor was it a negative comment to those who sell patterns. In fact the opposite I was saying we have several great resources for true 3D patterns.

Thank you Jon I did ask for your help. I do not wish to create any problems for anyone. I would have never knowingly shared the patterns if I thought I was doing something wrong.

For the respect of the forum, all the patterns I made including the one I hand drew has been removed and it will never occur again.

Ike

Jon Jantz
01-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Ike, I am NOT referring to making patterns in general with Coreldraw....

I was talking about taking the clip art images that came with the Coreldraw Suite, and making patterns out of them... all I was saying that if a person takes a piece of clip art (THAT COREL CORPORATION MADE) off their disk and turn it into a pattern, it is not within their licensing to then broadcast that all over the web for free. That clip art is provided for you to use in your designs, (that you may sell to a customer even) but not to provide it to a second party who has not paid for the rights to use it in HIS design that he may end up selling.

If you are not talking about their clip art that they ship with Coreldraw.... then what does Corel Corp even have to do with it? They couldn't care less if you are designing Carvewright patterns, signs, logos, pink panties or nuclear bombs with their software... that's your business... the copyright issue has to do with the person who holds the rights to whatever image was used to make a pattern, not the software used to do the graphics work.

Me personally, I really really don't care and don't think it was a big deal. I sure wasn't suggesting that you remove all your patterns.

I was simply trying to explain how the Corel Corps licensing works and how LHR will be the ones held liable if a company ever complains about copyright violation.

And like I said, Ike, believe me, it's not the first time this has come up. It's been discussed at length different times on this forum as well as several other sign forums I'm on.... so don't feel like you started something.

Ike
01-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Ike, I am NOT referring to making patterns in general with Coreldraw....

I was talking about taking the clip art images that came with the Coreldraw Suite, and making patterns out of them... all I was saying that if a person takes a piece of clip art (THAT COREL CORPORATION MADE) off their disk and turn it into a pattern, it is not within their licensing to then broadcast that all over the web for free. That clip art is provided for you to use in your designs, (that you may sell to a customer even) but not to provide it to a second party who has not paid for the rights to use it in HIS design that he may end up selling.

If you are not talking about their clip art that they ship with Coreldraw.... then what does Corel Corp even have to do with it? They couldn't care less if you are designing Carvewright patterns, signs, logos, pink panties or nuclear bombs with their software... that's your business... the copyright issue has to do with the person who holds the rights to whatever image was used to make a pattern, not the software used to do the graphics work.

Me personally, I really really don't care and don't think it was a big deal. I sure wasn't suggesting that you remove all your patterns.

I was simply trying to explain how the Corel Corps licensing works and how LHR will be the ones held liable if a company ever complains about copyright violation.

Jon you are correct I was using Corel clipart, which I have stated from the first of the patterns I made. When I PM you I was asking since I follow your methods. Not to put you on the spot!

I realize I can use their software to design any project. I have V Carve Pro and in their tutorials they demonstrate a project made in Corel and imported in V Carve.

I was lost after reading the last post, but understand what you are saying now.

Again wasn't trying to put you on the spot on the legality of the issue. Just was seeking what you may know since I have learned from your tutorials.

Sorry for bothering you and thank you for your help.

Ike

Jon Jantz
01-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Hey, no problem. Didn't feel put on the spot at all..... was just explaining it a little. Whatever you do, keep making patterns and keep sharing. That's what makes this place cool is all the information and help you can get by reading this forum.....

Ike
01-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey, no problem. Didn't feel put on the spot at all..... was just explaining it a little. Whatever you do, keep making patterns and keep sharing. That's what makes this place cool is all the information and help you can get by reading this forum.....

Glad you don't feel that way, but I am through! If I don't get the clipart from Corel, it comes from the web. Who knows where those images come from. I found a site that had the same images I have in my Corel CD. I think it was the original artist?

Too risky and too stressful! Thanks for teaching me some new tricks and for you help!

Ike

Jon Jantz
01-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Hey man, don't get discouraged... it's a discussion that takes place on every design forum on the net pretty much...

... one last thing about the Corel Clip Art.... just for interest sake....

One thing that's a little crazy is that in their licensing they say you cannot resell, or in any way re-distribute the artwork in components by themselves..... it then mentions it you cannot just change it to a different format (which they would probably call making a pattern) and re-distribute it as a separate component....

However, you ARE allowed to incorporate their clip art into one of your original designs, and then you can do whatever you want to with it. So for example, say that the red oval below is a complicated piece of Corel clip art (it's not, it's just my 5 sec. example). I couldn't take it by itself and turn it into a pattern and then sell it or give it away....

However, in the next pic, I took the clip art and made a (2 minute) "design" or "logo" (which is a product).... the fictional piece of clip art is now incorporated into an original design by me, so it would be perfectly legal for me to make a pattern out it, sell it, give it away, carve it... whatever.

Now the big question is: how much work do you have to do for it to qualify for "incorporating it into my original design".... I don't know that. That's kinda like Badger commented above.... it's a good question.

Please forgive the rudimentary examples, I maybe should have taken 5 minutes instead of 2... hehehe..

***Disclaimer: I do not proclaim to be a lawyer.... all the above posts are strictly my interpretation of the licensing......***

Ike
01-07-2009, 01:21 AM
LOL..........BOOM Ike's phone here his head just exploded, his last words mumbling %$#% Corel!

Opps now I am copyrighting a major cell phone carrier!

Thanks Jon!!

Ike

Jeff_Birt
01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey guys, I'm closing this thread at the OP's request.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Ike, Maybe Corel should be paying you for all of the free advertisement you been giving them. People se your work then want to go buy corel. Matt.