PDA

View Full Version : Hello... I'm sure this is a common question?

Datahead
11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I have been considering the purchase of a Carvewright / Compucarve for about six months now. I have read allot of the reviews and they seem to have a negative feedback about the product, and frankly haven't got much better. That being said, I for one, know that allot of this could be operator error, so I figured I would go directly to the source. (The Users.) Given this is a major purchase, I would like your feedback on the machine. I am very computer literate, but as a Woodworker / Ex-machinist / Mechanic I demand quality and precision from the tools I purchase and use. There are several points I am interested in:

1) Quality of the tool.
2) Customer Service.
3) Reliability
4) Ease of use.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

Ron

roughcut
11-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I have been considering the purchase of a Carvewright / Compucarve for about six months now. I have read allot of the reviews and they seem to have a negative feedback about the product, and frankly haven't got much better. That being said, I for one, know that allot of this could be operator error, so I figured I would go directly to the source. (The Users.) Given this is a major purchase, I would like your feedback on the machine. I am very computer literate, but as a Woodworker / Ex-machinist / Mechanic I demand quality and precision from the tools I purchase and use. There are several points I am interested in:

1) Quality of the tool.
2) Customer Service.
3) Reliability
4) Ease of use.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

Ron

Heres my view
1) Quality of the tool. +10
2) Customer Service. +++++10
3) Reliability +10+10
4) Ease of use. Learning curve but worth the effort...+10

:-D

Jeff_Birt
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Ron, one good way to get this information is to make use of the forums 'Search' feature (in the read bar at the top of every screen.) I just tried searching for 'machine quality' and found at least one relevant hit on the first page: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8595&highlight=machine+quality

With your background I would suspect that that you'll have very little trouble getting up to speed. From my perspective most new owner get into trouble as they don't know what to expect or do with a machine like this (from lack of similar experience.) As you know with any new machine tool you need to take the time after unboxing it to give it a one over, make sure everything is square and lubricated properly and check all the tool holders, and quite frankly RTFM. Speaking of reading, there is a load of great information under the 'Support' tab on the main CW website: http://www.carvewright.com/. Be sure to read through all the issues of Tips&Tricks as this will give you a definite advantage moving forward.

I too, would be distressed if I were only judging the machine via various review sites. In my experience an avid review reader (before I buy just about anything) I have found about 1/2 of the reviews on anything are not helpful at all. My favorite on this machine is the one from Sears, "The machine was so loud I had to take it back." Obviously it was some poor soul who had never had the opportunity to use a handheld router or circular saw and likened the machine to a 'wood printer' or something.

CW has improved a few areas of the machine over the last two years, but most folks like myself are still running all the original hardware. As with any other machine tool taking care of the CW machine is the key to keeping it working well (and it only take a few minutes after each carving session.) I can recall at least one forum member remarking how much better his machine runs after he started doing regular cleaning.

Can there be a bad machine every once in a while? Yep, I would suspect so. The good (great) thing is that CW stands behind their product and has real technicians on staff to answer any emails/telephone calls with questions that you have.

cnsranch
11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Ron -

Re precision, etc., if you haven't already done so, go to CW's website, and check out the customer gallery. You will see many completed projects to give you an idea.

Remember that you're working with wood. Wood is made up of fibers, and as such, your projects will typically come out of the machine needing work to get them smooth and finished (they're somewhat "fuzzy"). In carving a piece of wood, the fibers tend to "stick up/out" so there is work to be done.

However, the harder the wood, the less work needs to be done. Hard woods = tighter fibers.

Finally, it's difficult to get a feel of how your project will look in its finished form just by looking at the project in the Designer software. The carving bit is 1/16", and as such, cannot carve smaller images than its size. You'll come to understand its limitations, and as such, won't design projects that can't be carved.

My very first project was to duplicate my business card thru Designer in oak. It looked perfect (to me at the time) in Designer, but when I carved it, it was not at all readable - simply too small for the bit to handle.

I personally own many woodworking tools, and have been in the hobby for over 20 years. This is by far the highest precision tool I own.

Finally, download the demo Designer program if you haven't yet. It will help you immensely as you evaluate the tool. And, I think you can attach a design you've made to a post here, and one or more of us can look at it and tell you what the expected result would be in actually carving it.

Best of luck.

atauer
11-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Jeff,

Don't forget that some of us technicians actually assist here on the forum as well. And not just during work hours. I was actually logged on for about 20 minutes the other night, since I had a free moment.

Datahead
11-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks Everyone who replied. After playing with the software, and thinking about it some more, I have decided to follow through and pick up a unit. Now I just have to talk the wife into it... LOL... Perhaps a new head board might work.

Thanks again for the heads up and help.

Ron

Dan-Woodman
11-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Ron
My wife wanted one of those secretary desks from over seas with carvings all over it.
I put here off for quite a while, then the cw was invented. I showed her and she said get it. end of story. Just make her something nice ,after you practice a while. Welcome aboard.
later Daniel

JVallario
11-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Ron - Another benefit is the forums. Not only can you find answers to many questions and tons of free patterns but members who are extremely helpful when you have a question or problem. I can't speak highly enough of these folks. I've had my machine a few months now - had lots of questions and the forum has helped me every time. I have never had to call tech support directly. This community is outstanding. Do yourself a favor and become part of it.