PDA

View Full Version : Carving on a curve

cholme@mac.com
11-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Hello,

I am trying figure out how to carve something on a curved surface. I tried using the "dome" surface, but it doesn't seem to be able to create a severe enough arc. I attached a photo to show sort of what I am talking about.

I want to ultimately be able to put a carving on the curved surface of this piece (the right side in the photo)

Any ideas?

sweliver
11-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Can you post the .mpc file for us to play with?

sw

cholme@mac.com
11-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I didn't save any of the MPC files because none of them were right. I am starting from scratch.

Sorry

bjbethke
11-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Hello,

I am trying figure out how to carve something on a curved surface. I tried using the "dome" surface, but it doesn't seem to be able to create a severe enough arc. I attached a photo to show sort of what I am talking about.

I want to ultimately be able to put a carving on the curved surface of this piece (the right side in the photo)

Any ideas?
I don’t think a peace that shape would fit in the CW machine. You would need a sled to carve on the Right (gray) side of that shape. The sled plus the carving would be over five inches. And carving depth is only one inch.

bjbethke
11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
You could make two carvings and glue them together. Make a Gray scale PTN. With a three to four inch board you could carve each side and plane a taper on the glue side to fit your image. Welcome and hope this helps.

HighTechOkie
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
It is not possibly to carve the shape you posted due to the depth limitations of a carving (0.80").

You could create a curve pattern matching the gray side to then have text/graphics follow the profile when carved into the piece. You will need to create a sled to support the piece for carving.

Rob

sweliver
11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Using only the features in designer, 2 rectangles, a surface, text, this is a possibility.

bjbethke
11-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Hello,

Any ideas?
I made a pattern for a paper weight or a lamp base to use your image. I think this is the largest size that the CW machine will carve. You could carve all four sides with a sled that uses 1/2 inch sides and ¼ inch base fitted with 4.5X4.5X3.5 inch ends.