PDA

View Full Version : Spline Tool

woodie
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I am trying to make corbels similar to the ones in the February 2008 Tips and Tricks. I am having trouble using the Spline Tool. I draw the vertical and horizontal lines and when I attach the Spline Tool to the bottom of the vertical line and draw, the vertical line becomes distorted. I also can't seem to produce the same pattern as shown in the Tips and Tricks. I did a search and tried the tips suggested, but the same results occured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using 1.31. Thanks. Woodie

mtylerfl
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I am trying to make corbels similar to the ones in the February 2008 Tips and Tricks. I am having trouble using the Spline Tool. I draw the vertical and horizontal lines and when I attach the Spline Tool to the bottom of the vertical line and draw, the vertical line becomes distorted. I also can't seem to produce the same pattern as shown in the Tips and Tricks. I did a search and tried the tips suggested, but the same results occured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using 1.31. Thanks. Woodie

Hi Woodie,

Try turning on the Snap to grid function. That will keep the lines from going "wacky" on you, as they will snap to the nearest grid amount you specify.

After you draw the lines while the snap is on, you can turn off the snap function to coax the lines into another position by dragging the control points, if you need to.

woodie
11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I have the "snap objects to grid" checked, but that doesn't help. It still distorts the vertical line. Thanks for the quick response. Woodie

mtylerfl
11-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I have the "snap objects to grid" checked, but that doesn't help. It still distorts the vertical line...

That's odd - with the snap turned on it shouldn't distort.

Please post the mpc file so we can see what's going on.

Amonaug
11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Right-click on the purple dot at the bottom of the verticle line, select Intersect then Normal.

woodie
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Ok, call me stupid. I don't know how to post the mpc file. I tried the "search" function, but couldn't come up with the proper pharse. Kept getting "sorry no matches". Then went to the FAQ and couldn't find any answers there. Would you please post the procedure for posting the mpc file on this forum. Thanks, Woodie

Dan-Woodman
11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Woodie
Theres no stupid questions on this forum. I don't know every exact step,but I can get you started. At the bottom of the reply box is -manage attachments- then browse , find your file , open, when you get back to the screen that had browse click on load.Watch the screen ,it will tell you if the file is too large to load.
I'm not good with computers so there may be others that can tell you better.
later Daniel

woodie
11-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Here is the mpc file of the corbel I am trying to make. The line on the left is supposed to be straight ( right angle to horizontal line). Thanks Daniel for your help.

Kenm810
11-05-2008, 08:11 AM
woodie,

You might try drawing your Spline line first, then the Straight lines next.
You can also right click on the angle and edit it to 90 Degrees.

Copy all then flip instead of trying to mirror it.

Amonaug
11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Here is the mpc file of the corbel I am trying to make. The line on the left is supposed to be straight ( right angle to horizontal line). Thanks Daniel for your help.

As I posted above but it seems it was ignored.

Right click the purple dot and select Intersect then normal.

Kenm810
11-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Kevin,

Quote; Right click the purple dot and select Intersect then normal.

Not sure what the problem is, Purple Dot works fine

mtylerfl
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM
To make a curved line straight, select the "Change Form" tool, then click on the line segment. (I did that on your left side line and it made it straight.)

(Also works in reverse - use the "Change Form" tool to make a straight line a curve.)

Kenm810
11-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks Michael T,

I really don't think I've used that one before Myself. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

mtylerfl
11-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks Michael T,

I really don't think I've used that one before Myself. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Actually, I meant this tool (see photos). BTW, the purple dot could probably be deleted...then reposition the lower red control point to where the purple one was. (The purple control point doesn't appear to be necessary for the straight line, in this case.)

woodie
11-08-2008, 07:32 AM
I am sorry I haven't responded back for a while, but I got busy and didn't have time. I am still having trouble using the spline tool. I guess I don't understand what all of you are trying to convey. I won't bother any of you anymore, as I feel it is probably me that is the problem. I want to thank all of you for your quick responses. I have learned a great deal about the machine and the software for this forum. (But this one has me stumped). I applaud all of you for your unselfish sharing of your knowledge and caring for the members of the carvewright and compucarve family. Thanks again,
Woodie

Don Butler
11-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm having a problem with the line segment tool, possibly related to the spline problem above.

After drawing one line segment the tool isn't available to me again until I select another tool from the same menu, the connected lines tool or the spline tool. Once I select one of the other tools, even if I don't draw anything with them, I can then select and use the line segment tool.

Maybe its just something I didn't learn about the program?

d...

Amonaug
11-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I am sorry I haven't responded back for a while, but I got busy and didn't have time. I am still having trouble using the spline tool. I guess I don't understand what all of you are trying to convey. I won't bother any of you anymore, as I feel it is probably me that is the problem. I want to thank all of you for your quick responses. I have learned a great deal about the machine and the software for this forum. (But this one has me stumped). I applaud all of you for your unselfish sharing of your knowledge and caring for the members of the carvewright and compucarve family. Thanks again,
Woodie

Woodie, don't get discourage and by all means keep asking questions until the problem is solved. As has been shown above there are at least 2 ways to solve the problem of the verticle line curving when a spline is added to it.

1) is the verticle line is changed to a spline when a spline is added to it. Using change form is a way to change it back.

2) the purple dot (ie vertex) is a spline vertex and thus curves the line it's conncted to. Right-clicking on this vertex and changing it to normal will fix the problem.