PDA

View Full Version : routing edges inside the piece

mostlycold
11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I have an oval on the the virtual board in designer (that is somewhat smaller than the actual board in the machine). I have drawn in oval and assigned a cut path to the finished dimension that I want. I now want to have the finished edge of the cutout to have a 3/8 ogee profile (for example). I then create another oval that is 3/8 to the inside of the original cut path so the ogee depth will blend into the bottom of the cut path.

Am I doing this right or is there an easier (smarter) way to get to the same place?

Thanx,
Dan

Dan-Woodman
11-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Dan
This depends on the look you are trying to achieve. The bits are programed to follow in the center of the bit and on the line you create. And what you see in designer is what you get.
You must use plunge bits in the machine or do it with a handheld router.
laterDaniel

mostlycold
11-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Dan,

I'm confused.... Does the cutpath cut last? If it cuts first, then I should have an edge to start the routing. If not, then I get it! Ballnose would be my next step (instead of the routing bits).

Thanx,
Dan

bjbethke
11-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Dan,

I'm confused.... Does the cutpath cut last? If it cuts first, then I should have an edge to start the routing. If not, then I get it! Ballnose would be my next step (instead of the routing bits).

Thanx,
Dan

cut path is always last. see mpc to set up.

mostlycold
11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
BJB,

I looked at your MPC (btw thanx) and think the follwoing things are happeneing.

Draw and Oval. While oval is still selected, assign a depth profile (looks like yours was the first one on the left) which will use a 1/2 Vbit. While the Oval line is still selected, make bit selection to ogee bit, which will cut over the depth profile. While the oval line is still selected, assign the cut path which will finish the cut out with the tabs after the depth profile and ogee profile have been cut.

I am even close?

Thanx,
Dan

bjbethke
11-01-2008, 02:48 PM
BJB,

I looked at your MPC (btw thanx) and think the follwoing things are happeneing.

Draw and Oval. While oval is still selected, assign a depth profile (looks like yours was the first one on the left) which will use a 1/2 Vbit. While the Oval line is still selected, make bit selection to ogee bit, which will cut over the depth profile. While the oval line is still selected, assign the cut path which will finish the cut out with the tabs after the depth profile and ogee profile have been cut.

I am even close?

Thanx,
Dan
You only need to select the ogee bit and then the cutpath, the oval path needs to be selected.

mostlycold
11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
If I do that, won't the CW try to cut the entire cut path with the ogee bit?

bjbethke
11-01-2008, 02:57 PM
No it will look like the image I posted.

mostlycold
11-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanx for your help, I'll give it a try.

Amonaug
11-01-2008, 03:48 PM

You set the depth so it doesn't cut all the way through. Then the cut path tool will cut it out leaving tabs to hold it in place.

mostlycold
11-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Kevin,

I guess where I'm getting confused is the first post from Daniel that said I can't plunge into the board with a routing bit. I understand about the cutpath and depth to finish the cut, it's the first cut on a fresh board with the ogee bit that has me perplexed.

Thanx,
Dan

Amonaug
11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Kevin,

I guess where I'm getting confused is the first post from Daniel that said I can't plunge into the board with a routing bit. I understand about the cutpath and depth to finish the cut, it's the first cut on a fresh board with the ogee bit that has me perplexed.

Thanx,
Dan

No he was saying you NEED to use plunge bits (ie all those that are in the CW set) and not any that have guide bearings on them that are used in regular routers. Some people instead of buying CW bits just use their regular router bits.

mostlycold
11-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanx for clearing up the fog - I think I get it finally!