PDA

View Full Version : A try at veneering

Rocky
10-31-2008, 05:54 PM
I assume others have tried to carve vennered wood. So I put a piece of walnut veneer on a piece of poplar to get the lighter effect of carved letters. It came out 'ok', except I should have done a better job of proof reading.

brady.schwyhart
10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Rocky,
Chalk that one up to oops,,,,. It still looks great though. I'm gonna have to try that sometime.
Brady

Kenm810
10-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Rocky,

Nice looking project, the contrast in the wood grain colors is Great
and don't feel bad about the oops, Most of us have done the samething or something like it,
and in my case more then a few times to be more accurate. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

mtylerfl
10-31-2008, 11:32 PM
I assume others have tried to carve vennered wood. So I put a piece of walnut veneer on a piece of poplar to get the lighter effect of carved letters. It came out 'ok', except I should have done a better job of proof reading.

Very nice technique, Rocky. Thank you for sharing that.

jspringertx
11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I had to read the sign two or three times to find the error. It was a great job and don't feel alone by making a mistake. Try printing a pattern upside-down.

brady.schwyhart
11-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Rocky,
Chalk that one up to oops,,,,. It still looks great though. I'm gonna have to try that sometime.
Brady

Rocky,
I hope I didn't offend you with my post. What I meant was that just chalk it up to an oops and keep on truckin brother. Don't let it get ya down. Some of the blunders I have made would make anyone scratch their head and say "what the hell was he thinkin(drinkin). I've done the right project on the wrong piece of wood, spelled folks names wrong (relatives included, ha ha), and have put in the wrong bit more than once. It's like that old Snickers commercial with the old guy painting the football field, "Nice job, but who are the Chefs". It happens.
Brady

JLT
11-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Rocky,

Nice technique! Good choice of woods, as the contrast really brings out the lettering.

Jon

liquidguitars
11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
except I should have done a better job of proof reading.

its hard to see sometimes when your working hard.

good work!!

LG

Bubbabear
11-02-2008, 04:41 PM
It came out 'ok', except I should have done a better job of proof reading.
Just remember you are among peers here and we appreciate the quality workmanship and pure beauty
great piece

Rocky
11-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Rocky,
I hope I didn't offend you with my post. What I meant was that just chalk it up to an oops and keep on truckin brother. Don't let it get ya down. Some of the blunders I have made would make anyone scratch their head and say "what the hell was he thinkin(drinkin). I've done the right project on the wrong piece of wood, spelled folks names wrong (relatives included, ha ha), and have put in the wrong bit more than once. It's like that old Snickers commercial with the old guy painting the football field, "Nice job, but who are the Chefs". It happens.
Brady

Brady, no offense taken. It was definitely an "ooops". :)

Bubbabear
11-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Rocky this project has intrigued me now I am going to have to pull out some of the sheets of veneer that was gave to me a while back and play. Thanks

Rocky
11-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Rocky this project has intrigued me now I am going to have to pull out some of the sheets of veneer that was gave to me a while back and play. Thanks

I was experimenting and was planning to use contact cement for the veneer, but my can of contact cement was too old. So, I used yellow wood glue.

Good luck.

liquidguitars
11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I think yellow or even hide glue work best for small runs
also the contact cement could gum up your cutters a bit and smoak.

LG

Rocky
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I think yellow or even hide glue work best for small runs
also the contact cement could gum up your cutters a bit and smoak.

LG

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it was a good thing that the contact cement was old. :)

Carving Hodag
11-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I glued 3/4" oak and pine boards together and carved just in to the oak, I think it really makes any carve pop out. I have been doing this with a lot of different wood.

liquidguitars
11-10-2008, 10:21 AM
So nice...

LG

Kenm810
11-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Looks Great, Well Done
Thanks for sharing your Photo

mtylerfl
11-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I glued 3/4" oak and pine boards together and carved just in to the oak, I think it really makes any carve pop out. I have been doing this with a lot of different wood.

Outstanding!

If I can ever get caught up with my existing tasks, I really want to use that technique - so beautiful! Maybe I'll design a project with that idea in mind....hmmm...

Great work! Can't wait to see more of your creations.

Rocky
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Very nice!

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I want to share what I finished yesterday.
I have done several projects like this for practice.
My plans were to do a bed-headboard, but I am re-thinking that.

This is for one of my granddaughters who loves horses.
The idea started about the time that DH shared one here,
and became a "had-to-do" when I got Katie's picture (upper right of attached).

Rocky
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM

Ken,

That is just beautiful. The horse carvings look great. Did you make or buy the patterns.

Nice work!

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Rocky,

Thanks for the nice words.
The patterns were purchassed from Carvewright, that is WAY beyond my current abilities.

I forgot to mention that it is walnut and poplar on oak.
And another thing I forgot - I used 6 mpcs to make it.
1) Back name and picture cutout.
2) Front finished carving.
3) Large horse head.
4) Regions to glu in smaller horses (smaller than finished carve regions).
5) Pattern for mare/foal region.
6) Pattern for "Rearing" horse region.
I made patterns so that I could align the grain and/or save wood.

Audie
11-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Excellent craftmanship Ken. I love how a thought becomes a thing even when the thing becomes something different from the original thought! Way to hang on to the concept! Whew!

Audie

Kenm810
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Supper Project Ken,

The different color wood grains makes the patterns really stand out.
Very well done, I have to mark it down on my to-do list!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

mtylerfl
11-14-2008, 12:29 PM

Holy Smokes, that is gorgeous! Another true artist!!

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Thank you for the kind words; not sure that you saw my edit to prior post where I said that I used 6 mpc files to create it.

I have attached an intermediate photo or two.
One photo shows my first attempt that had too many boo-boos.
The last straw was the board slipped so that the cut-out was wrong.
The second photo is of the back-side carves.
And the third one shows the project with the small regions cut and filled with hand-cut wood cut by using the patterns carved by the CC.

Added: Note that when I corrected the mpc after my first attempt that I had to add a little bit of wood to the length, 24" was not enough.

JVallario
11-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Beautiful work Ken - thanks for sharing it.

cnsranch
11-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Now I know what DOC stands for -

Doctor of Carve

You are da' man.

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Again, thanks for the kind words.

A couple of corrections, I am not an artist - I try, but art is something that Michael Tyler and Ken Mauran (if I remembered the spellings correctly) do.

If you have not tried this kind of carving, it is not difficult, you just have to plan ahead. I would gladly share what I have learned.

thelittleboxshop
11-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Be very careful about veneering over solid wood. Wood moves! Before stable sheet goods were available, craftsmen veneered over solid wood because it was all they had. Over time, the veneer will come loose and even crack because of the seasonal wood movement beneath the veneer. This is ESPESSIALLY true in homes that do not use humidifiers/dehumidifiers during summer and winter months. Veneering over a solid lumber substrate stands the best chances if it is cross banded - one layer of veneer on each side of the core with grain running perpendicular to the grain of the core; then face veneered, both sides, grain parallel to the core grain. You'll recognize this as similar construction to plywood. It will greatly increase the stability and longevity of the piece vs. applying veneer directly to the core. 100 years ago the golden oak era was king, quartered white oak over chestnut solids. Many people must do repairs usually because of misuse, neglect or combination of glue failure over time, and same grain direction failures.

LollyWood
11-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Ken,

Those are out standing. I've done a few single layer types, never thought of varying levels also. You always seem to keep me working on some thing. First sleds, then double side frames now those. Keep em come'n Boss!! Hoo-ahh! :D

mtylerfl
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM

A couple of corrections, I am not an artist - I try, but art is something that Michael Tyler and Ken Mauran (if I remembered the spellings correctly) do.

If you have not tried this kind of carving, it is not difficult, you just have to plan ahead. I would gladly share what I have learned.

You know, it's been awhile since you contributed to a Tips & Tricks!;)

I think this would be a wonderful way you could share what you've learned and will be of great interest to all your fellow woodcarvers! (no pressure!) Dec '08 topic is open!

EDIT: forgot to thank you for calling me an artist - undeserved, but appreciated!

fwharris
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Doc,

Fantastic job all the way! your layout and finishing is just great.

Your granddaughter will love this for sure!!

LollyWood
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM
To Mike T you listen....this would make a GREAT addition for the monthly. I know I would love to get a step-by-step.

ChrisAlb
11-14-2008, 06:09 PM

KEN!!! That's simply fantastic! WOW....jelous....SO jelous...LOL I've certainly some catching up to do. And it IS a WORK OF ART my friend!!http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

DocWheeler
11-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you my friends!

That is more than I had hoped for when I posted the pictures.
But, of course, I had hoped for a little praise - after all, I'm human.

I will put this together to see if it fits into something more than a page or so.

SharonB
11-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Doc, I for one would like to see your project written up... if you are so inclined to share. I have a brother that would just love me to do something like this for him. Your project is certainly inspiring to say the least. SharonB

mtylerfl
11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Doc, I for one would like to see your project written up... if you are so inclined to share. I have a brother that would just love me to do something like this for him. Your project is certainly inspiring to say the least. SharonB

Hello All,

I am very happy to report that Ken has graciously agreed to contribute a tutorial on the multi-layer, multi-wood technique along with photo documentation for the Dec ' 08 Tips & Tricks!

Thank you Ken!

Rocky
11-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello All,

I am very happy to report that Ken has graciously agreed to contribute a tutorial on the multi-layer, multi-wood technique along with photo documentation for the Dec ' 08 Tips & Tricks!

Thank you Ken!

Great! I'll be looking for it.

LollyWood
11-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Purrrfecttttt...I love when Doc puts us to work hehehehehehehe(rubbing hands in anticipation) :cool: