PDA

View Full Version : Edge routing with CW

Rocky
10-31-2008, 02:45 PM
I've been using my standard router to route edges of my CW projects.....it's just quicker.

But, I do have this question:

How does the CW route edges when the board would have to be under only one roller when doing the ends? Does board have to be on a sled? Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Audie
10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Rocky
I have routed a few projects with the CW. Yes, the board is under only one roller while routing...so far I have not had any issue or error doing so. Sometimes I prefer to route with the CW.....but thats just me!
Audie

I attached a picture of a plaque I carved - routed the edges without a sled or adding the 3 1/2 inches.... the plaque is 11x17. Absolutely no problems routing!

brady.schwyhart
10-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Rocky,
I've never done a route on the outside edges with the CW, but I have used it on multiple projects to put a rout on the outside of a project and then cut through the rout. When I do this I always add an extra 7 inches to keep it under the rollers. I put an example below.
Brady

mtylerfl
10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Rocky,
I've never done a route on the outside edges with the CW, but I have used it on multiple projects to put a rout on the outside of a project and then cut through the rout. When I do this I always add an extra 7 inches to keep it under the rollers. I put an example below.
Brady

That's the safest route, Brady. Best/safest to keep the project under the rollers at all times.

Personally, if I have to route a board end that spans the full width of the board, I would simply use my hand-held router.

Some particular routes are preferable for me to do on the CarveWright, though. For example, when I made the wheels for these wooden toys, I had the machine route the outer perimeter with a 1/4" Roundover and it did the decorative concentric recess with the 1/4" Ballnose. A little tricky (maybe even risky) to do on a small, 2" diameter wooden wheel if using a hand-held router or even a table router.

Rocky
10-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks, folks. I always enjoy the forum responses; they usually provide nice options in addition to answers.