PDA

View Full Version : motor still spinning but bit not

skeeterman
10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I was in the middle of a carve when i noticed the sound was like it was bogging down, i was only carving a text with centerline. I looked at machine and noticed the bit was not spining then it would spin again.i shut it off and inspected it.
Took the bit out and rubed my finger inside spindle it seems like the inside of spindle is backing out i can feel notches or lips on the botom of spindle when before i never noticed this. any ideas?I dont know if i can load the pic on here but here goes

Audie
10-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Skeeterman,

Double check your flex cable - make sure it is seated into the top of the spindle.

Have you replaced your QC by chance? If so, it is possible that the square on the top of the spindle may have rounded out some or a bur that is keeping your flex shaft from fully seating. Oh duh, I've been there and DONE THAT!

AUdie

skeeterman
10-29-2008, 06:07 PM
says img has 116mb bytes exceeds the forum limit of 117.2 kb.
It is just one picture how come i cant download it on forum when i see several post with lots of pics?

skeeterman
10-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Audie, the flex cable is seating fine seems like the spindle is unscrewing from the inside

Ike
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Could be the motor cover switch, it may have dust caught in it or is going out. Plus check you power leads to the cut motor. I removed my cover in a hurry and ended up breaking a bullet connector. If you recently removed you cover then it might be the cut motor connectors are loose or broken.

I has an incident that when I open the cover the motor stopped, but it continued to carve. It was the motor switch on the right side opposite of the key board. It was compacted with saw dust.

Ike

skeeterman
10-30-2008, 11:38 AM
I went back out to shop today to try a few things. ran a center line text project that i have done before "with no problems" Just a couple of letters into the project the motor started to sound more slower and i noticed that the spindle was bogging down . not carving deep only what centerline alows and the wood is soft "popular". got a Reconditioned cut motor on the way.
dose the problem sound like cut motor???

FiddlemakerMills
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Have you checked the cut motor brushes?

skeeterman
10-30-2008, 12:25 PM
no I havent taken cut motor out of machine yet. waiting on LHR to send a reconditioned one It has been running very fast this is why i have another on the way. was hoping to still be able to use old motor as backup but if its shot i will send it back for core charges aplied to my order.

FiddlemakerMills
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
I would check the legnth of the brushes, when they wear down the motor slows down and stops. This is the same thing that happens with larger industrial motors.

skeeterman
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
will have to find info on checking brushes.not even sure where the brushes are located at in motor, Do you have to take motor out to do this?

FiddlemakerMills
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
You will need to take the cover off. With flaslight look into the vent of the motor at the rear of the motor. You should be able to see the end of the motor brush. The large cover on the motor with a slot for a screwdriver is the motor brush cover, the brushes are spring loaded. Refer to the parts manual, look at the way the motor is mounted and how the brushes are installed. You can also down load the updated parts list and manual from the CarveWright web site. Make shure you understand what your looking for before you take anything apart.

FiddlemakerMills
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Al Digitalworkshop Posted a link to cut motor 101. It explaines the the motor brushes and was very helpful. I just haven't been able to locate it again.

Kenm810
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
I was just looking at the thread by AL Anatomy of a Cut Motor 101 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4274&highlight=cut+motor+101)
Here ya go

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2008, 02:35 PM
The Flex Shaft might have come out of the MOTOR end and that is why the cut motor is spinning and the QC is not moving....

Sometimes the outside flex shaft that is glued to the end of the bigger rubber fittings on the end come un glued.... Then the metal core can't reach the motor or spindle.

AL

Dan-Woodman
10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Skeeterman
How much is a recon. moter?and any warrenty?
later Daniel

skeeterman
10-30-2008, 05:55 PM
hey Dan my machine is still under warenty the cost is a $40.00 core charge, I called them again about my situation and talked to Andre He said my problem is the Cut motor. asked about buying one for backup and the price is $72.00. asked what he thought about replacing brushes or rebuilding the cut motor and he didnt think it was a good idea.
Thanks all for your sugestions
Steve

skeeterman
10-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I forgot to answer question on waranty . sorry
he said that the refurbished cut motor has a waranty but did not say how long.
Steve