PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the Z-Truck

turtleman1982
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey Guys, I've been trying to search on how to remove the Z-truck from the rail and I can't seem to find anything. I've searched the forum, but i'm getting exhausted from reading all of these posts that don't actually tell me how to do it. Any help (tutorials or the like) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

mtylerfl
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey Guys, I've been trying to search on how to remove the Z-truck from the rail and I can't seem to find anything. I've searched the forum, but i'm getting exhausted from reading all of these posts that don't actually tell me how to do it. Any help (tutorials or the like) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

The CarveWright pdf tutorials should have been emailed to you via LHR, but you can download them at:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

There is one called Z-Pak Motor Replacement Instructions and another called Z-Truck Replacement Instructions. You can download whichever is appropriate for your situation.

DocWheeler
10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
turtleman1982,

I just had to do this myself. The instructions suggest that you drill-out the screw-heads while it is still in the machine (when replacing the rollers). I chose to rotate the eccentric bearing shafts to their extreme-open position and pull it off and then drill the rollers off. So, if you are not replacing the rollers - just do as I did (read Al's instructions).

Might I add that the first step in the process be that you sweep the floor within six feet in all directions before starting. You will drop some parts and they will be easier to find on a clean floor!

mtylerfl
10-27-2008, 02:45 PM
turtleman1982,

I just had to do this myself. The instructions suggest that you drill-out the screw-heads while it is still in the machine (when replacing the rollers). I chose to rotate the eccentric bearing shafts to their extreme-open position and pull it off and then drill the rollers off. So, if you are not replacing the rollers - just do as I did (read Al's instructions).

Might I add that the first step in the process be that you sweep the floor within six feet in all directions before starting. You will drop some parts and they will easier to find on a clean floor!

If I recall, the drilling out of the screws is a last resort, if they won't loosen....you may not have to do that.

Dan-Woodman
10-27-2008, 05:52 PM
and be very careful not to break the corners off the z-truck, thats very thin aluminum.

Ken , clean floor whats that? I thought the floor came that way.
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
LHR has been issuing a washer to go on the Z Truck to prevent the wedge effect of the screw head from breaking the thin Spindle body....

Weather they will sell one to you if you don't have one is the question....

Some quick OLD pictures.

Picture 1 no Washer

Picture 2 Washer

And if you use the screw driver to HOLD the screw and the wrench to turn the bearing NUT your GOOD.... Try to turn the Screw... Well your S.......ed.... You will need to Drill the stripped head then.... HOLD not turn.... And ALWAYS buy extra Bearing Screws....

AL

Hexe SA
10-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Ok I received the z-truck after I broke mine with washers, no pdf, no instructions. Took me a while to figure out where things went and yes I stripped all screws and no replacements. I bought some Machine Screws M5 x 14mm with a hex head. Upper one I had too grind the head diameter down, but they work alot better than the philips heads. Now your picture wasn't that clear to me. Where do the washers go? Like I said I received no link or pdf from LHR including when I bought the z-motor replacement. I found the pdfs but they also don't mention any washers. Did I miss them in the instructions?

Kenm810
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I believe this is the spot AL was talking about
Between the Screw head and the face of the "Z" Truck.

Digitalwoodshop
10-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks Ken!!!

As we have seen most broken Z Trucks have been that lower right screw hole. A Wedge effect cracking the truck.

Don't think you will find the washer mentioned anywhere, it is new and has not been noticed by many.

AL

Hexe SA
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks Ken!!!

As we have seen most broken Z Trucks have been that lower right screw hole. A Wedge effect cracking the truck.

Don't think you will find the washer mentioned anywhere, it is new and has not been noticed by many.

AL

I installed them on the inside. Good thing I haven't carved anything yet. I was going to this evening. Guess I'll take it apart again instead.
thanks for clearing that up for me
Eva

Tom75
10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
when i first got the cw/cc the lower right screw head broke in the middle of the second carve sent it to lhr had no washer when it came back it had one . wounder why the put it there but never asked just thaught they put it ther for a reason anw i know .

Digitalwoodshop
10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
It is just part of the quiet improvements they have implemented. Someone posted that even WITH the washer the part broke at the washer. It must have been fractured prior to the washer and was going to fail anyway.

Just be happy with the washer... It's an improvement.

Just another reason that every new machine without all the fixes should take a trip to LHR... Like getting the latest Generation......

AL