PDA

View Full Version : Not Permitted

andes
10-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, found something out tonight ;-} I was using one of the corners I downloaded, to make a frame. Since I was going to use it allot for Xmas gift project, I mirrored the corners, and to eliminate having to do it over and over again, thought that I would just use the make pattern -- wrong, it told me that I could not do that because I did not own the org pattern -- interesting :(

Error reads

Not Permitted
One or more patterns in the group you have selected is owned by another user

bjbethke
10-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Andes,
You need to own the pattern or have the MPW file and make a new PTN to use that function.

mtylerfl
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, found something out tonight ;-} I was using one of the corners I downloaded, to make a frame. Since I was going to use it allot for Xmas gift project, I mirrored the corners, and to eliminate having to do it over and over again, thought that I would just use the make pattern -- wrong, it told me that I could not do that because I did not own the org pattern -- interesting :(

Error reads

Not Permitted
One or more patterns in the group you have selected is owned by another user

Hi Andrea,

Maybe you can get in touch with the original creator of the corner, and see if they are willing to provide you with the mpw. (You may find that commercial pattern makers will not provide the mpw files since that overrides the copy-protection of their work.)

NOTE: You will need to own the Pattern Editor to read MPW files and convert to PTN

Soapbox...
I'm always "harping" that patterns created by anyone should be saved TWICE...once as an MPW file and again as a PTN file.

Why? Because when you want to use patterns on a different computer, the Designer software will not recognize PTN files as your own (even if you originally created them yourself). Of course, the patterns will carve alright, but you won't be able to edit them nor use the "Make Pattern" feature, due to the integrated copy-protection. When PTN files are transferred from the original computer they were created on to a different one, Designer thinks they belong to someone else.

However, if the creator had the foresight to save everything as MPW files, they can be transferred to any computer and then resaved as PTN's so they will be recognized as "your own" again!

In my opinion, any patterns that are intended for free distribution, should be presented as the MPW and the PTN formats.