PDA

View Full Version : Rough Carvings

spike
10-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi all.

I have included a photo of a problem I am having with uploaded images. The image on the left is one I uploaded using the designer program(1.131).
The image on the right is one that came with the software. If you zoom in you will see the image of the lion is very smooth, while the surface ot the uploaded image of the hummingbird looks like it has blisters on it. How do I eliminate the blisters? This happens on all images I upload

Any suggestions?

brady.schwyhart
10-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Spike,
It looks like the problem lies with your photo. Too much detail can often cause this type of effect. Looks like it would work okay as a lithopane, but as a wood carve it would be rough. Can you upload your pic and let me take a look at it?
Brady

Amonaug
10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Looks like the original image was a .jpg which is usually not a very good format to use for importing images. .png is the preferred, .jpg uses compression routines which leave a lot of noise in the image which the CW will easily pick up.

To get good carves from images you have to learn to do image editing, you can't simply import an image and expect to get a carving like the default patterns. Patterns use greyscale to tell the CW how deep to carve into the wood, these greyscales are usually called height maps/displacement maps in 3D rendering circles. A regular image converted to greyscale has none of this info, WE know what it should look like but the CW only interprets the grey dots.

spike
10-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Here is the greyscale photo I uploaded. I converted the original color photo to greyscale using Paint Shop Pro 8.

mtylerfl
10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Here is the greyscale photo I uploaded. I converted the original color photo to greyscale using Paint Shop Pro 8.

Hello Spike,

Using "straight" graphics usually won't carve well. You will most often need to convert your graphics into 8-bit grey-scale, then "polish them up" in a graphics program to achieve the best results.

It can sometimes be challenging to manipulate graphics into a form that will carve well. I've seen a lot of carves that were done using imported clip art graphics that just don't look very good to me, but it seems that some are satisfied that it is "good enough" nonetheless.

Editing your graphics in a photo editing or paint program can improve clip art and other types of graphics you plan to import for use as a carving pattern. Of course, it is important to be familiar with those types of software programs, and that you are clear on the topic of graphic grey-scale values that the Designer program uses to determine the Z-axis height of a carving.

NOTE: If you own the scanning probe and Pattern Editor software...

I wrote a Tips & Tricks (Issue 11, August 2008 - "The Pattern Editor - De-noise & Quantize") article that may shed some light on the problems you are experiencing and point out some methods to help eliminate some of the "noise" in your graphics using the CarveWright Pattern Editor software (the software that is activated when you register the scanning probe).

You can download any or all of the Tips & Tricks issues for free at:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

or http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

FiddlemakerMills
10-24-2008, 10:40 PM

Hey spike is this closer to what you are looking for?

spike
10-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Yes that is exactly what I am looking for. Wanna make an old man happy?
Tell me how I can get the same results.

mtylerfl
10-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Hello Spike,

I should have mentioned...

If you would like a full-relief, detailed hummingbird pattern, we do have a nice one at the CarveBuddy website at:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/birds_page_2.html

Here's a photo of a Hummingbird project I did awhile back using that particular pattern combined with another separate flower pattern and domed oval shape.

FiddlemakerMills
10-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey spike I can vouch for the carve buddy patterns. I bought the big bass pattern and it was woundrful.

Check your PM's

Lin
10-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Spike, Heres the link to the thread that I posted a Humming Bird I scanned back in 2007.
Lin

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=2046&page=14