PDA

View Full Version : To Clutch or not to Clutch

Frank
10-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I have been getting check board faults and the x axis motor slows down and speeds up when it moves the length of the board during measuring. I have had a lot of trouble with the clutch on my machine. Seems after every two carves I had to clean the clutch or I got into a situation where, are five clicks enough or were three to many? Today I tried using the roller sensors to set up the board. I loaded my board and pushed "0" then "7" then the down arrow once and I got the roller screen. The rollers said uncompressed. I lowered the head till it just changed to compressed and then compressed the rollers another 1/4 turn and then I locked the head. If I didn't give the head that extra 1/4 turn I got a 204 error (rear roller jammed). Then I pressed stop twice and I was back to the project menu.
I ran all day like this and never had a problem. The motor still speeds up and slows down but I don't have any more board errors and my machine ran fine. I do think I may have damaged the x axis motor though from the clutch.
Can anybody think of why I shouldn't do this? I read alot of posts on board errors and didn't see anything on using the sensors like this.

Thanks Frank

atauer
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Frank, it sounds like you may have a problem with either your head pressure or head level. Have you checked either of these?

Frank
10-24-2008, 06:06 PM
No. I haven't checked the level but I did the pressure and it was high so I cleaned the posts and took the clutch apart and cleaned it then I took the bottom panel off and checked the gears for dirt. Is there some place I can find out how to check the level? I have often wondered about having the rollers on a 3 inch piece on one side and nothing under the other side. I'm learning. Thank you Alex.

Thanks Frank

Frank
10-24-2008, 06:18 PM
I found a post on how to check the level of the head and how to adjust it. I will check it asap. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks Frank

Digitalwoodshop
10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I would first check the head level using the options and the Z data. Place a board in the machine and probe the Y axis using a bit in the machine and touching the board along the Y Axis. Compare the numbers.

I would level the head as required.

I would remove the bottom and check the bolts that are in the bottom going up into the 4 smooth posts that the head slides up and down on.

I would remove the 2 sand paper belt units and clean the inside of the belt area, could have sawdust inside the sand paper belts.

I would remove the plastic X Gear cover and clean all the teeth with a tooth brush looking for missing or plugged teeth.

I would use the scale to check head pressure.

I would replace the sand paper belts if they look plugged and worn or rolled over. A Rolled belt will cause your problem

AL

Frank
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Al. I will print out what you have suggested and give it a try. I will get back and post my findings sometime this week.

Thanks Frank

Frank
10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Al. I checked the machine as per your suggestions. The head is level from front to back there is a .008 inch variation, the belts are good and they are clean inside as well as are the belt rollers, I cleaned the gears and the head pressure is good. It is still doing the same thing with the motor slowing down and speeding up as it moves along the x axis. I continued using the machine with the sensors for the rollers as I explained earlier and it didn't go to a position and just go back and forth fast that has stopped. When I ran the machine this way it did cut the project fine and the carve was accurate. The only other thing I can think it might be is the x axis motor unless you or anybody else can think of something different, I will call LHR and see what they say. Thank you very much.

Thanks Frank

Ike
10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Frank, one thing that effects the clutch is the temperature. The colder it is the lube stiffens up and slows down everything. Another thing to check is access the bottom and check the tie rod that connects the two gears that controls head to move evenly.

Had one the screw with washer became loose and dropped not allowing the right side to move with left.

Really sounds like it is too cold, does it get better as you use it?

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
When it is moving and the speed is going up and down try loosening the hand crank just a touch and see it it goes back to normal. Last summer I had a problem and I was cranking the head down too hard. If you go too loose a roller switch will come un compressed and you should get an error. Did you try the tape trick?

AL

Frank
11-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks. I checked all the gears and the head pressure and all the things that Al suggested. It may have something to do with temp. The shop was around 55 when I was running it. I did notice that when the board is entering the machine it ran fine and when it measures the board it is ok. It's just when the board moves to the start position before I put the cutter in that the x axis and the y axis are moving at the same time and that is when it slows down when the x & y are in position it asks me to load the cutter. After that the x runs fine and the carves are good too. That is just something else I noticed. Are the two axis supposed to move at the same time into the start position?

Thank Frank

bjbethke
11-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks. I checked all the gears and the head pressure and all the things that Al suggested. It may have something to do with temp. The shop was around 55 when I was running it. I did notice that when the board is entering the machine it ran fine and when it measures the board it is ok. It's just when the board moves to the start position before I put the cutter in that the x axis and the y axis are moving at the same time and that is when it slows down when the x & y are in position it asks me to load the cutter. After that the x runs fine and the carves are good too. That is just something else I noticed. Are the two axis supposed to move at the same time into the start position?

Thank Frank
When the CW machine uses vector cuts, all three axis are used. Watch the movement when you use centerline type.