PDA

View Full Version : Best Type of wood for Carving

musicman
10-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone

I am new to this carving thing, what is the best wood to carve with?

I have used pine but it doesn't seem to have the quality I would like, I also used Oak for the Last Supper wasn't much different.
Any suggestions. HELP!!!!!!
Thanks
Musicman

Amonaug
10-23-2008, 06:35 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=6478&highlight=best+wood

brady.schwyhart
10-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Musicman,
It really depends on the project that your doing that would determine the wood you use. I work mostly with whiteboard pine myself, but switch it up for some projects. I have used oak and aspen and have like the results for the projects I used them for. I've even used select pine depending on what I was doing. IMHO the best advice is for you to just experiment and see what you like best. It can get costly, with the price of lumber going up, but once you hit your groove with your preferred medium, you'll love it.
Brady

MAX COX
10-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I Have Used A Lot Of Red Oak With Pretty Good Success. Also I Have Used Pine, Poplar , And White Oak Along With Cherry. My Personal Preference Is White Oak And Cherry.

Kenm810
10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Don't forget Hard Maple, Really nice details and fewer fuzzies.
Check with your local lumber yards, the one nearest me has tons of cut offs 1 x 6s, 1 x 8s, 10" and 12"
all 2,3,4 foot long that no one wants so they sell them for 50% to 75% off per ft.
Red and White Oak, Maple, Poplar, Aspin, Pine, and several others.
I can't resist grabbing a few every time I stop there. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

musicman
10-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try them

musicman

deemon328
10-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm not in the mood to read the old thread.

I really like closed grain woods in general. My favorites are:

Cherry
Maple

I'm looking forward to trying some super dense exotics like jatoba and purpleheart. I imagine they will carve super-clean.

mark1945
10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Jatoba carves very nice.I was able to pick up about 150 bf.for a very good price.I've made several clocks and plaques with it.

TurtleCove
10-24-2008, 01:30 AM
The most often ordered woods from me, for carving, seems to be Red and White Oak, Maple, and Ash. All carve nicely. Since Elm is hard to find, you don't see much experience with it for carving, but I think it makes stunning carvings, due to it's "feathered" grain pattern...especially Grey Elm. And then there's Bloodwood and Purpleheart for the exotics which can yield carvings like glass (glossy and smooth), but due to their density, need to be carved with shallow strokes.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com
(lowest price on the web for thinboards...guaranteed)g

TerryT
10-24-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not in the mood to read the old thread.

I really like closed grain woods in general. My favorites are:

Cherry
Maple

I'm looking forward to trying some super dense exotics like jatoba and purpleheart. I imagine they will carve super-clean.

Purple heart carves beautifully. I've made several projects with it.

MikeMcCoy
10-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Rosewood is my favorite but you can't get it at Wally World prices.

Eagle Hollow
10-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Ipe, also sometimes called Brazilian Walnut carves smoother than any of the other species I've carved. That includes red & white oak, walnut, cherry, soft and hard maple, pine and poplar.

If the moisture content is below about 8% they all carve well.

cnsranch
10-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I think Jerry hit the most important point - moisture content.

I don't measure it, but I have some Walnut that was rough-sawn off my In-Law's farm over 40 years ago - it carves like a dream.

I also got some 3/4" t&g ash paneling from my son that was hung in 1979 - it is great, also.

The dryer, the less inclined for the "fuzzies" to hang on to the project.

Ask someone who has tried to carve pressure treated pine :-D

Audie
10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
The most often ordered woods from me, for carving, seems to be Red and White Oak, Maple, and Ash. All carve nicely. Since Elm is hard to find, you don't see much experience with it for carving, but I think it makes stunning carvings, due to it's "feathered" grain pattern...especially Grey Elm. And then there's Bloodwood and Purpleheart for the exotics which can yield carvings like glass (glossy and smooth), but due to their density, need to be carved with shallow strokes.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com
(lowest price on the web for thinboards...guaranteed)g

Has anyone bought wood from Tutlecove? I am really curious because I have tried for almost three weeks without success. :confused: Thanks

mtylerfl
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
You might try PM-ing Turtlecove (Dirk) to see what's up.

Audie
10-24-2008, 04:11 PM
You might try PM-ing Turtlecove (Dirk) to see what's up.

I've tried that too Michael...no response :(
I was so excited to find the possibility of nice wood at a good price and "poof", vanished. Dang it all!

mtylerfl
10-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Attention - Dirk - Turtlecove...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You have some folks here that want to buy wood from you...

What is a reliable method to contact you for wood purchases?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jvicaretti
10-25-2008, 06:12 PM
I would be willing to sell some. I actually have alot, it is not planed but I could plane it before I sold it. Not sure what a fair price is though. If anyone is interested let me know and I will figure it out.

DocWheeler
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Not advertising, but I received this ad and thought I'd pass it on.
LAST REMINDER!
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
Take 15% OFF Everything On Our Site For One Day Only!

Our annual Haunted Hardwood Halloween Sale will be here soon! The racks are stocked with fresh shipments of wood, turning stock, bowl blanks, burls and so much more. We hope you'll take advantage of our one day savings.....

Once a year, in the Fall Season, it's Curious Woods tradition to keep our store open late to celebrate! And boy do we know how to party! We picked the Halloween Holiday because it's fun and we love to dress up! Actually, we just love the Fall Season in the Northeast and what better way to enjoy a nice fall night than to party it up with our customers!

We would like to extend a personal invite to our online customers who can't make it to Ballston Spa, NY for our once a year event! ALL DAY on October 30, 2008 you can visit our web site at www.curiouswoods.com and take 15% off all everything on our site! Just pick the items you would like, put them in your shopping cart, and the discount will be subtracted from your total when you check out! Because of the popularity of this once a year event, please allow us one week to ship your products to you. It's easy and a great way to save!

If you are going to be in the Ballston Spa, NY area, please feel free to visit our store on Rt. 67 in Ballston Spa! We will be offering ghoulish treats such as Apple Cider Donuts, Beverages, Woodworking Demonstrations, Live Musical Entertainment, Door-Prizes and a 50/50 Raffle! You can even save MORE just by visiting us wearing a costume to take an additional 5% OFF your total order.....that's 20% OFF! Our store will be open after hours 6pm-9pm for our sale!

So, check us out and Save 15% online at www.curiouswoods.com on October 30, 2008!

Questions? Need directions to this spooktacular event?
Give Us A Call! We would love to hear from you!
1-800-724-9663 Ext. 1334 or 1441

Have a Happy and Safe Halloween!

~The Curious Woods Crew

castingman
10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Doc,

Nice site, thanks for the link !

Michael