PDA

View Full Version : Machine Cover switch Failure in closed pos.

FiddlemakerMills
10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
I think this is a new one, While carving a project today I lifted the cover to vaccum out the dust. I forgot to hit the stop button first. The y and z axis kept moving and the cut motor shut down. I hit the stop button and aborted the carve.

After cleaning the machine I checked the inputs. The close door switch was reading closed in either position of the cover.

I removed the cover switch and tested with a meter. I have contact in the open or closed position at the connection points. With the switch lead disconnected from the board.

I belive the switch is bad and needs replacement.

Thoughts on what may have caused this?

Kenm810
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM
FiddlemakerMills,

It's very possible the switch may be bad, but it could also have dust loaded or jammed into it.
The first time mine got stuck I shot a little air into it, and it freed up,
several months later when it happened again I gave it a shot of electric contact cleaner and its been working fine since.
I did order a new CC switch to keep with my replacement parts in case I really do need one in the future.

FiddlemakerMills
10-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks Ken
I will go give the contact cleaner a try. Blowing out with air didn't solve the problem.

Carl

FiddlemakerMills
10-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Just tried that contact cleaner. The switch no longer ckicks when pressed and is reading open in both positions now.:( Looks like a new switch will need to be installed. The wires from the plug to the switch good also.

Thanks

Kenm810
10-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry to hear that,
When my new switch came from LHR the wire leads and plug connector were attached, ready to install.
If you order one you my consider any extra parts you my want to have on hand, traction belts, QC Chuck, Board sensor, etc,
at the same time to save on Shipping and Handling.
Just a thought.

Digitalwoodshop
10-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Remember if you remove the top cover and do not support the clear cover, it rests on the switches causing most switch problems.... Screws come loose, the plastic that the screws go into gets cracked and the plunger part of the switch gets SMASHED into the switch.

Use care when removing the cover.

How do I know this...... Been there done that....

This has been a public service announcement from the Pocono Digital Woodshop....

AL

liquidguitars
10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
If you order one you my consider any extra parts you my want to have on hand, traction belts, QC Chuck, Board sensor, etc,
at the same time to save on Shipping and Handling.

Good idea, and you can add a LCD cable to that list..
That is when the side cover falls to the ground after removed from cleaning the " outfeed roller sensor" tearing the end off basicly shutting you down for one more week :)

Time to drill a port on the side cover to blow the sensor clean I think.

LG

FiddlemakerMills
10-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys

I will add that to the list Lg. :cool:

Ike
10-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Carl, it could be your cut motor switch on the right side of the cover. It might have dust in it too.

Ike

FiddlemakerMills
10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Ike

That's on the list already, but its still working. I think I need to add the y and z packs. I am coming up on 140 hrs.