PDA

View Full Version : Clutch disengaging prematurely?

Amonaug
10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I've had this problem fo awhile now with the used machine and have decided to come here for any advice. I've read and done all the head leveling things and I don't think it's an un-level head problem. I took the keypad side off to disengage the gears and I can easily turn the rod by hand and move the head up and down. With the keypad side on it easily move up but moves down with difficulty and gets near the bottom I need to push down on the head with my hand to get it to move any more. It's also not a temperature problem.

I think the clutch is a bit too forgiving but not sure how to adjust it if at all possible.

Reset
10-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Kevin,
Is there a washer behind the crank handle? If so, try taking it out, if not, put one in... I don't remember if in or out fixes the problem, or even if it is the problem... but worth a try if you haven't tried it (I think you'll need to add a washer though). Also, spraying a bit of white lithium grease on the clutch mechanism may help...

Tommy :)

Kenm810
10-23-2008, 01:45 PM
At one time I found the corner columns out of alignment, it would start ratcheting before it reached the project, I don't know if it was something I did or the machine being bounced around on one of its trips to Texas. I loosed the bolts at the top on the columns a bit, and lubed the columns, cranked the head up and down a few times. then while it was at the bottom I retightened the bolts.
It worked --- might be worth a try. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Amonaug
10-23-2008, 02:31 PM
There is a washer with 2 flat sides behind the spring (even though the exploded parts diagram show the washer should be in front of the spring). Is it any old washer that will fit or do you have to have a washer with 2 flat sides?

Ken,

I've tried that a couple times and still no go on the down, up is fine. It just feels like any pressure on the clutch makes it click, my thought is it should take more pressure than it does.

Ron Baird
10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Check your head pressure the clutch should only slip once you reach 80 t0 85 lbs. If you are not getting that much pressure then you need to strengthen the clutch spring. the best way is to place washers behind it. If the spring is too weak it may need to be replaced. Also make sure all the posts are lubricated. Greasing the clutch faces only make it slip more. The beta machines had a problem with the plastic housing of the side panel cracking around the bushing that holds the clutch gear and that would make the clutch slip too soon but that was changed for the next run and I don't know of any new machines having this problem. Just something to check.

Reset
10-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Kevin,

I think that washer you have behind the spring should be in front of the spring, as shown is the parts diagram, to strengthen the clutch spring, as Ron stated.

At one time, a long time ago, the head pressure on my machine was over 130lbs, and I was advised to remove the washer...which reduced the pressure to an acceptable level. (Took a little while for that memory to kick in :) ).

Tommy :)