PDA

View Full Version : Interstate Burl Project

Eagle Hollow
10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeh, I know! This doesn't have anything to do with the CC/CW but several of you are interested in this project. The top is a slice off an oak burl from the Rockford, MN area. The pedestal is a section of a box elder tree trunk from Box Elder Creek in western SD. The wife was in the shop today and commandeered it for my office. My plan was to sell it so I could buy a scanning probe:confused: Oh, well. Maybe the next one.

leesheridan
10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
I love a good piece of burl. And it is in a sense a cancer growth to the tree. I've been cutting juniper trees down for firewood and I've made a few tables. I want to scan in a 2d image of a western scene and carve the top and then inlay a plasma cut metal image into the carving. We don't have the elder trees around here but it looks great. Nice wook

Eagle Hollow
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Mike,

Very intriguing idea! Please post any one you do. You could send a bunch of us in that direction

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Nice Project, Seems hard to sand the burl piece for finishing. Can it be sand blasted? Just asking, a friend of mine did pressure wash some cedar for a rustic bed frame and it turned out excellent. Just curious cause i have a couple burls i wanted to experiment with. I seen a site somewhere on the net where all the guy did was look for burls for sawmilling because of the unique grain. Some high end stuff. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Eagle Hollow
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Nice Project, Seems hard to sand the burl piece for finishing. Can it be sand blasted? Just asking, a friend of mine did pressure wash some cedar for a rustic bed frame and it turned out excellent. Just curious cause i have a couple burls i wanted to experiment with. I seen a site somewhere on the net where all the guy did was look for burls for sawmilling because of the unique grain. Some high end stuff. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

The top, I cut from the big oak burl with a chain saw then ran it through the drum sander at least twenty times to get an even thickness. The base was cut from the trunk of a dead Box Elder tree. There was rot that I dug out with gouges and replaced with 2 part epoxy (2 quarts @ $26/ea.). Other areas were stabilized with thinned down spar varnish. The rest of it I scraped the loose stuff off with various gouges and scrapers and blasted just with high pressure air. Finally, a couple of coats of thinned spar varnish to finish it.

Kenm810
10-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Great Job Jerry,

I've worked with Burl Veneer several times, but a tree trunk never,
Your one up on me for sure!! I love it --- Well Done!

Thanks so much for sharing the Photo

leesheridan
10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Ken and Terry check out Cookwoods.com that's where I get my burls and other fine woods for projects. In the idea I shared on the inserting metal in a cut out. I first tried a test witth the CC by just making two ovals and then a cut line on each. One of which was on the inside of the line and the other was on the outside of the line. The cut out of the one fit tight and perfect to the other and with that said it brings up a lot of ideas.

Kenm810
10-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Mike,

Thanks so much for the Site!! It's one of the best selections
of Exotic Woods I've ever seen. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

leesheridan
10-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Yea, its like toy land. I ask for the same worker over there in Klamath Falls and he lets me know what and how to get the better deals. At one time they would give away scrap wood as fire wood and I would get all I could to turn and make what ever I could. At one time I even used some for firewood because I had so much. But the greedy ones messed it up for all by stealing burl stumps and that put a stop to that. The major business is internet.