PDA

View Full Version : Cutouts using a carrier board

Rocky
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
My question relates to the latest Designer (Version 1.131) and performing cutouts. To save wood, I use a carrier board when possible (see photo). In this photo A and B are fixed parts of the carrier board. A is 3/4" thick and B is 1/4" thick. C is the project board. As you can see, the width of the project board in this case is less than the width of the carrier board. This setup works well with carving and lettering where no cutouts are involved.

My question is this: Can I also use this setup for cutouts under Version 1.131? That is, where my project board isn't the same width as the carrier board. I read Mike Tyler's nice write-up in Tips & Tricks, but it didn't answer my specific question. His example shows the carrier board as the exact same width and length as the project board.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks,

liquidguitars
10-22-2008, 04:56 PM
My question is this: Can I also use this setup for cutouts under Version 1.131? That is, where my project board isn't the same width as the carrier board.

I would keep them the same size designer and your sled, but you could make it work.

LG

Rocky
10-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I would keep them the same size designer and your sled, but you could make it work.

LG

Maybe I'm having a brain cramp, but I'm not sure what you're saying.

bjbethke
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf

Your board marked “B” is not used for the measurement of your carving. The key board side needs to be straight and the width the same at the start and the end so it will not bind at the Slide plate. The board needs to be flat.
Boards “A”, both need to be the same width and over 3 ½ inches. The lenght does not need to the same as your project board width, and do not need to be placed at the ends of the board marked “B”

The CW will measure the width first from the key pad side. If you do not have side rails it will measure project board width only not the sled. Then it will check the length and measure the project and the width of the two “A” boards.

All parts need to be lined up with the Key pad side.

Normal set up of the cut path will cut through the project and the Sled / carrier board. See Tips and Tricks to change settings for cut paths.

photo of my adjustable sled;

Dan-Woodman
10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Rocky
And don't forget the top of your project board in designer goes against the keypad side in the machine.
later Daniel

Rocky
10-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback. BJB, I like your adjustable carrier board.

As I indicated, for carvings and lettering, my carrier board works fine. My basic question is will it work for cutouts using Designer Version 1.131 where in Designer I specify the actual project thickness?

Thanks,

Rocky
10-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Al,

Thanks for your feedback, it's appreciated. I assume by "right side" you are referring the the side where the "B" is displayed.

I checked out your shop. I'm impressed (with some drooling) by your range of equipment.

Rocky

Digitalwoodshop
10-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Yes, The B Side needs to be trimmed so the right side guide can be placed near the edge for the board thickness check.

As for the equipment.... I owe I owe... So it is off to work I go...... Was in the shop at midnight again last night.... I will be glad when I did myself out of this $$ Hole....

AL