PDA

View Full Version : carving bits

pscychnurse
10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
on average how many projects should a bit be able to do before replacement My last project (7th on the bit ) was jagged and dont know if its the bit or not thanks Ron

bizbiki
10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
There is no number as to how many projects you can do with a single bit until that bet becomes to dull to use. But its a whole lot more than 7. I have well over 250 hours on my CC and I would guess 90% of them (if not more) were carved using the same 1/16 bit. And that bit is fine. I have seen no decrease in carving quality. I do have a seperate back 1/16 bit at the ready just in case. My feeling are that if and when you drop your bit onto the floor of your workshop, chipping it, is when the bit is ready to be replaced.

Couple of things may be affecting your "fuzzy" carvings though.

1) What type of wood are you using. Some hardwoods just dont carve as well as others.

2) What is the setting on your carve quality? Draft, normal, or best.

I hope this helps.

Amonaug
10-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Check the bit adapter.

Are there "BB marks" on the adapter near the tapered end?

Is the bit sitting tightly when inserted in the QC? If it's not then this will cause damage to the QC and adapter and your carvings will be real fuzzy and rough.

Tom75
11-01-2008, 08:22 AM
i need to order new bit addapters cus they all have bb marks on them . when you get the carving and cutting bits from cw they allready have the addaptors on them can thoes be changed too ? i have a new qc on the way so i would like to replace the addaptors with new ones .

rjustice
11-01-2008, 09:17 AM
i need to order new bit addapters cus they all have bb marks on them . when you get the carving and cutting bits from cw they allready have the addaptors on them can thoes be changed too ? i have a new qc on the way so i would like to replace the addaptors with new ones .

Yes you can change them. In fact, you should actually check to make sure that there is blue loctite on the setscrews. There have been reports that the loctite was forgotten.
Also, if you have problems with the hexes breaking out in the screws, i make a different screw that has a slightly smaller hex that you can tighten significantly better, without having them break out.
Just drop me an email at the link below if you are interested.

Happy Carving!

Ron

Tom75
11-05-2008, 09:21 AM
thank you . i just sent an e-mail to you
have a good day

Audie
11-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Several months ago I sent my CW to LHR for a warranty repair as the z-truck was kaput. They replaced the QC as well and here I am with a PROPERLY lubed and constant cleaned QC that failed miserably. The sleeve would vibrate up and the bit would begin to wobble...ruining a couple of bit adaptors and projects. So I ordered a new QC and after heating the square drive bit from LHR snapped. Sooooo I ordered the QC wrench and square driver from Ron Justice - with much more heat and the new tools I finally got the QC off. Look at the amount of loctite that came out of the QC.....slightly more than a drop or two. Looks like half a pints worth - I'm just glad I was able to finally get it off without destroying the z-truck.

On the same token....the bit set I bought from LHR namely the straight bit used for jointing, failed on the loctite on the set screws. I have only used this bit a few times. Naturally I checked prior to using it that the set screws were tight - the challege is, not breaking the toctite seal while checking tightness. As you can see the bit slipped down from the bit adaptor and marred the torsion bar, nicked the brass roller, and cut into the plastic housing by the brass roller. I am really let down.

It does not appear to affect the functioning of the CW....thank goodness as I have so many Christmas presents to make. BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR BITS...I got lucky this time.

Audie

Jeff_Birt
11-05-2008, 10:08 AM
On the 1/2" adapters the two set screws have nothing to do with bit tightness. The 1/2" adapters are collets, meaning that you tighten the lock nut down and it squeezes the collet holding the bit. Having a bit go all willy-nilly will sure do a number on any chuck.

jspeedy33
11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I notice that when I have 1/8 carving bit or 1/16 carving bit wear out or break, all I can buy is the entire unit with the bit adaptor to replace it. Why can't we just buy the bits themselves and replace them using the tips and guidelines we've been given in these great forums? Or am I just looking in the wrong place to purchase them...?

John

mikie
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
nobody told me that i had to be a computor geek just to test the thing out!!
anyway need a boy scout eagle pattern, thanks;

Kenm810
12-10-2008, 04:18 PM
mikie,

Welcome to the CW Forum

This is a Great place to get info about your Carver,
read as much as you can, and ask question if you need help.
There's a Search option near the top of the page
that's a terrific help also.

This pattern's not the greatest,
I'm sure you may find better ones
out there