PDA

View Full Version : Y-Stall Error 238

BigMax
10-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I am encountering a Y-Stall error 238 while attempting to carve a project. The pertiment details of my CarveWright Machine are:

Firmware Revision: 1.130
Sec. Revision: 7
Firmware Build: 0630:092710
Useage: 20 hr 36 min
Serial #: removed

The machine will square and joint perfectly. However, when I attempt to carve, the project only requires two bits: cutting & carving. The workpiece has been milled to 21"(L), 12" wide, and 1" thick. The end result is a 14"X11" project. After it verifies the cut bit and asks for the carve bit, it will begin carving for approx 1 min (or 1-3%) and then I will hear 3-5 clicks and then get the stall.

The machine is clean, the wood is square, and the carve bit is new. I have tried more than 1 workpiece without any luck.

Some additional background that may help. The rubber that surrounds the flexshaft has deteriorated and come off in pieces. Some of these rubber pieces found their way onto a prior workpiece which ended in a stall. This may have caused some damage which I have been unable to discern. Any ideas?

I have called hardware support and left a call-back message. I do have limited time due to a health problem, but I would appreciate any help that I can get.

swhitney
10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
hmmmm ... Jeff moved this from the Test Thread and my response went to that great floppy disk in the sky....

anyway, if it is not "the Gremlins" possibly it might be a piece of rubber from the flexshaft you mentioned that may have fallen into the channel holding the rubber belt. With the power OFF, does the carving unit slide smoothly from one end to the other???? if there is clicking, there might be something jamming.

Good luck on your difficulty, and while they are sometimes difficult to get to... those tech guys and gals are gooood so keep on the line.........

Amonaug
10-21-2008, 07:09 PM
1) if the flexshaft rubber is coming apart I think it's time for a new flexshaft. And perhaps a lube since it shouldn't be doing that unless perhaps it's overheating.

2) with the power off mover the truck back and forth and see if it's binding or catching on anything. the clicks you hear are more than likely the Y-drive trying to move but the truck is stuck on something.

swhitney
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
hmmmmm ..... great minds........ (or not)

Hexe SA
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry they moved you while I tried to post. First turn on Machine press "0" and "7" push down arrow 3 times this will get you to the Z and Y position. Move the truck by hand all the way to the left and than to the right. The numbers should total up to 14.500 to 16.000. Second, check for any debris in the track of the belt plus for debris stuck in the teeth of the wheels, including your z-axis. This will be a start. As far as the Flex shaft, I hope you removed the twist wire and yes give carvewright a call about that. Overheating would cause that and that means you need to check the lubrication
Eva

BigMax
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I assume the best way to examine the belt is to pull the cover aince I cannot see the whell since this is the Sear's model. Never have done this before - any suggestions?

I have felt the track but do not find anything jamming. Remember my post that it will square and joint - therefore I thought that might result in a stall but it doesn't????

BigMax
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Also, note that this machine has very few hours. I have been quite ill this past year and only recently began woodcarving again. I live in Alabama and the summer has been reasonably hot. My workshop is small and is an outbuilding. I keep the machine covered, so I suspect the rubber deteriorated from the heat build-up under the cover.

I will await the tech's response before ordering a new flexshaft.

Thanks for all your help.

Hexe SA
10-21-2008, 07:34 PM
No, good flashlight will do.
There is a pdf under trouble shooting that will show you how and the reassembly.
Eva

Amonaug
10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
The part of the carving that you get the stall, is it trying to carve a deep area?

Also check the tightness of the Y-belt. Move the truck left and right and watch the gears on the left and right and see if the belt rises a bit when you move it.

Hexe SA
10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Also, note that this machine has very few hours. I have been quite ill this past year and only recently began woodcarving again. I live in Alabama and the summer has been reasonably hot. My workshop is small and is an outbuilding. I keep the machine covered, so I suspect the rubber deteriorated from the heat build-up under the cover.

I will await the tech's response before ordering a new flexshaft.

Thanks for all your help.
I live in Texas and no AC in my show either. The machine is been in this heat for over a year now. Do check your lube on the flex shaft.

Digitalwoodshop
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
If you have the machine square the joint then carve or cut, what keeps the board from flipping up jamming the bit in the wood.... Is the board being held by ONE Roller (BAD) or TWO (GOOD) when the stall happens. Is the out feed table adjusted properly? One roller poorly adjusted out feed table = JAM or STALL

AL

BigMax
10-21-2008, 10:20 PM
To:
Digitalwoodshop

If you have the machine square the joint then carve or cut, what keeps the board from flipping up jamming the bit in the wood.... Is the board being held by ONE Roller (BAD) or TWO (GOOD) when the stall happens. Is the out feed table adjusted properly? One roller poorly adjusted out feed table = JAM or STALL
---------------
The headlock mechanism has been tried at 1 and 2 clicks, on both sides and both ends. It is under both rollers. The bit may be jamming,but it's not apparent. Although the wood is cypress, it is fairly heavy for its size. I didn't know there was an adjustment for the outfeed table? I always lower it to its lowest position - it doesn't move...

=======================================
To:
Amonaug
The part of the carving that you get the stall, is it trying to carve a deep area?

Also check the tightness of the Y-belt. Move the truck left and right and watch the gears on the left and right and see if the belt rises a bit when you move it.

---------
It's making several initial passes to carve the wood. Not more than 3-4 and not deep when the stall occurs.

If loose, is there a way to tighten it?

==============================================

To:
Hexe SA
I live in Texas and no AC in my show either. The machine is been in this heat for over a year now. Do check your lube on the flex shaft.

No, good flashlight will do.
There is a pdf under trouble shooting that will show you how and the reassembly.
Eva
------------------------

Our temperature did not go over 100 degrees this summer, but I do keep the machine covered with the original plastic plus a BBQ cover inside the building. It may have been a combination of heat plus humidity that caused the deteriation. To be honest, it looked like a woodpecker had gotten under there and chewed off the rubber.

Any special lube and way to lubricate the flexshaft? Due to the low hours, I haven't checked it - but I definitely will now.

I'll try the flashlight approach, but that part of the machine is covered except for a louvered area that I may be able to shine through. I am blind in one eye and not good vision in the other. That's been part of my problem this year.

I'll look for the .pdf file now.

============================================

Again many thanks. You all have offered some good suggestions. Unfortunately, I will not be able to try again until Thursday. I have dialysis on Mon, Sed, and Fridays.

Amonaug
10-22-2008, 12:27 AM
As you are looking inside the CW through the lid, on the right side (furthest from the keypad) just above that gear is a screw. Just push the plate to add tension and tighten the screw. That is if that is the problem.

BigMax
10-27-2008, 12:56 AM
As you are looking inside the CW through the lid, on the right side (furthest from the keypad) just above that gear is a screw. Just push the plate to add tension and tighten the screw. That is if that is the problem.

BigMax
10-27-2008, 01:03 AM

A: The belt certainly appears to be tight, As soon as I can obtain a short phillips head screwdriver (mine has temporally gone AWOL) that will fit under the cover I'll add some more tension. After spending a couple of hours trying to reinsert the cover sensor bundle back to the circuit board, I don't want to remove the top cover. That is one thing that I hope LHR will reengineer in the future...