PDA

View Full Version : Can any help with this one?

Oliver Lande
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd like to carve this picture frame in Cherry for our new Black Belt graduates, but the wood is expensive and I'd really like a nice display project. Any ideas if this will carve decently?

"Taekwondo" is Abaddon font
"The Art of unarmed combat" is Harrington font.

I know if you don't have the fonts installed it will not show correctly, but if anyone has suggestions for better suited fonts I would really appreciate it. OH heck - ANY suggestions are appreciated and I guarantee will be well received.

atauer
10-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Oliver,

Your's looks great. I think it will come out just fine.

BTY, here is something I just did with the file. If you have Centerline, it should cut back on your cut time.

The cut times for your file was 2 hr and 43 minutes on normal; 3 hrs and 51 minutes on best.

The one I did cut at 1 hr 54 minutes on normal; 2 hr and 25 minutes on best.

Just an option. Not saying that mine is better. Just trying to save you some cut time.

Oliver Lande
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
No centerline (but I'll bet you know where I could get it).

So I'll have to go with what I have. Just going to have to live with the time (but I knew that was coming with the large Carve Region)

Again - Thank You

Amonaug
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Best thing to do is test carve it in cheap wood. That way you will know if there are any flaws and won't lose a lot of money.

bjbethke
10-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Oliver, I think I read in an old 2007 post that stated you can make a carving with the centerline function even you do not have centerline on your CW Designer.

I have centerline on my computer so I can’t test it. Try the MPC that (atauer) made. Try to upload it to your card. If you don’t make changes to his MPC it should work on your CW Machine.

SAA3840
10-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Oliver, if someone else makes an mpc file and you download it, you'll carve it with the Centerline text just as they made it. Believe me, I know. Been there done that, although I now have Centerline to use.
Take the mpc that was redone with Centerline and enjoy it. Carve it in cheap wood first if you have any doubts.

Oliver Lande
10-21-2008, 07:19 AM
I took a combination of the two - centerline text for one, all else for the other. Pine test worked very well (some small soft spots chipped out). Guess cherry is next stop.

Thanks again