PDA

View Full Version : An interesting result/situation

Amonaug
10-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Attached is the .mpc I carved yesterday, no problems except for some reason it carved row by row instead of column by column.

Carved it today, understand the same project on the card, it wasn't re-loaded or changed in any way.

Back carves fine. Flip the board and the top row and first 2 on the second carve fine. For odd reason the CW decided that the rightmost one on row 2 and the bottom row on the front should carve the patterns at the carve region depth of .45 instead of the .25 they were set at. So those 4 naturally carved much thinner than the 14 others.

Gremlins? :)

swhitney
10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
sorry ... but the "attached mpc" is nowhere to be found.......

Amonaug
10-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Oops, helps to attached it huh? :D Oh well the file is too big anyway, doesn't matter because I don't think it was the file.

Well it seems the problem may be the z-encoder. Was carving today a similar project and all of a sudden on the last ornament it just started carving deeper and deeper until it was carving into the guide rail. Put a call into LHR and the rep is going to speak to a senior tech Monday, but more than likely it's going to need a new z-encorder, etc. Put 125 hours on this so I guess it isn't too bad. Probably time to check the cut motor brushes etc.

bjbethke
10-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Have you cleaned the Z-encorder, I found my Y-encorder was about 1/2 filled with saw dust when it was not tracking right. Photo of my Y-encorder. The Z-encorder looks like this also and is very easy to clean. I only had 95 hours on my machine when I found this, and I use a downdraft system.

Digitalwoodshop
10-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Don't forget about the Z Belt could come loose on the back, I had my Z Belt Screw come loose.... So you could say I had a screw loose......

As for the Encoder, after dirty, it's the solder joints on the back of the plug socket on the board that can cause that problem....

AL