PDA

View Full Version : bit quetion 2

dench
10-17-2008, 09:20 AM
i have18 cutting bits downcut will it work with 1131 one pass cut ty

rjustice
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Dench,
You want to stay away from the downcut tools if you are cutting a blind slot, or pocket, they will not evacuate the chips, and ultimately just pack with wood chips, and break the bit.
With that said, if you are cutting through a thin piece in one depth of cut it probably would work ok since it would simply force the chips down and out the bottom and into your downdraft table if you have one....

Let us know how it works out if you try it....

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
10-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Has anyone tried using a 1/4 inch up cut Carbide in place of the 1/8 inch for cut path?

AL

bjbethke
10-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Has anyone tried using a 1/4 inch up cut Carbide in place of the 1/8 inch for cut path?

AL

I haven't tried that yet, but for Cut Paths I think it would remove an extra 1/16th of an inch from your carving. May look OK on some PTN's. May be a load on the z-truck with one pass, three or four passes may be OK.

rjustice
10-19-2008, 07:45 AM
This is correct... It will remove an extra 1/16 material per side using cutpath. And yes, i have tried it and it works fine on thinner materials. If you are cutting a 3/4 thick or more it seemed like it was too much for the machine.

**Now that we have the abililty to set depth of cuts, this is a good option.**

Happy Carving!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
My thoughts on the 1/8 inch cut path bit is that is does not clear the chips up and out of the kerf. I see the cluttering up of the chips then it starts to smoke. When I blow compressed air into the kerf then stop no smoke until it plugs up again. Thought the 1/4 inch might do a better job clearing the kerf.

I stopped a cut path doing a .26 cut in .75 pine because of smoke and found a knot had impacted and plugged up the flutes.

This is a real good picture of what a bit should NOT look like.... Dirty, burned and flutes plugged... Bad Boy.... Go to your Coop..... :)

AL

bjbethke
10-19-2008, 10:15 AM
You could make a background PTN to use for your cut path. Just use the pattern editor using the Quantize function set to one. Then use both PTN’s in the CW designer and use the background for your cut path. Add the extra 1/16 inch on the background.

I haven’t tried this yet. I’ll let you try this. It should not break the ¼ inch bit, but it could put a loop in your Flexshaft.

rjustice
10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
My thoughts on the 1/8 inch cut path bit is that is does not clear the chips up and out of the kerf. I see the cluttering up of the chips then it starts to smoke. When I blow compressed air into the kerf then stop no smoke until it plugs up again. Thought the 1/4 inch might do a better job clearing the kerf.

I stopped a cut path doing a .26 cut in .75 pine because of smoke and found a knot had impacted and plugged up the flutes.

This is a real good picture of what a bit should NOT look like.... Dirty, burned and flutes plugged... Bad Boy.... Go to your Coop..... :)

AL

Al,
For larger work, where you can deal with the big corner radius, i think you are dead on correct... The 1/4 tools would have much more flute gullet, and give more room for chip evacuation. The 3 fluted variety would probably work well. It may even be able to be a high helix type flute, which will auger the chips up even better.
If you would like to try something like this, i can get the tools for you.

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Both interesting concepts.... Thanks,

AL

liquidguitars
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM

I use the stock 3/8 bit to cut neck and humbuckers pockets and it works fantastic as long as the bit is sharp and clean, tryed a few 1/4 up cut bits but did not work well. Hmm.

BTW I think the 1/8 cut bit is up and down 4 flute bit. "not sure"