PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone using to hold your objects down, while carving?

TurtleCove
10-16-2008, 01:59 AM
I just started scanning, today, for the 1st time.
Using dbl sided carpet tape. Kind of a pain, sticks to everything, hard to get smooth and level. I've heard some use hot melt glue, but doesn't hold well in a chilly garage.

Would Silly Puddy work?

What's everyone using?

FutPrint Graphics
10-16-2008, 02:07 AM
small pieces of hook and pile tape or common household velcro

brdad
10-16-2008, 06:18 AM
On the few scans have done I have used 3M double stick foam tape, This held the objects up off from the sled about 1/8 of an inch so I could set the probe so it didn't ride on the sled. It sticks very well, I had to use a razor blade to scrape it off my melamine sled. I tried standard (no foam) double stick tape and while it may work on some objects I kike the foam type better. You can also use a multiple layer thickness if you want to level or tilt the object some.

mtylerfl
10-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I just started scanning, today, for the 1st time.
Using dbl sided carpet tape. Kind of a pain, sticks to everything, hard to get smooth and level. I've heard some use hot melt glue, but doesn't hold well in a chilly garage.

Would Silly Puddy work?

What's everyone using?

Hello,

The June '08 Tips & Tricks "Scanning Sled Techniques" offers some mounting solutions for your scanning objects that may be helpful for you.

You mentioned something interesting in your question..."some use hot melt glue, but doesn't hold well in a chilly garage." I dare say that if it's too cold for hot melt glue to stick, then it is also too cold to run your machine.

Many have reported when performing scanning operations, the machine actually requires a slightly warmer environment to work properly than when doing a standard carving.

Your solution might be to simply to warm up the machine's environment. I use an inexpensive Honeywell Model HZ-690 Oil-Filled Heater. Here is a link to a similar model at Target: http://www.target.com/Warm-Fusion-Oil-Filled-Heater/dp/B000TACAIQ/sr=1-4/qid=1224159745/ref=sr_1_4/601-3520847-6032948?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Aoil%20heater&page=1

mtylerfl
10-16-2008, 07:27 AM
On the few scans have done I have used 3M double stick foam tape, This held the objects up off from the sled about 1/8 of an inch so I could set the probe so it didn't ride on the sled. It sticks very well, I had to use a razor blade to scrape it off my melamine sled. I tried standard (no foam) double stick tape and while it may work on some objects I kike the foam type better. You can also use a multiple layer thickness if you want to level or tilt the object some.

The foam tape is a little too "loosey-goosey" and will allow the object to vibrate while the scanning is being performed. This results in a much more "textured/bumpy" surface than if the object is more securely fastened.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I have tried almost everything - hot melt glue is the best. I agree, if it is to cold for hot melt glue then you need to leave it alone.

I have never had an issue with hot melt. Happy carving.

MAX COX
10-16-2008, 10:27 PM
I have used double sided scrapbooking tape to hold wood together . it holds good and is very easy to remove.

SAA3840
10-17-2008, 01:41 AM
I've only done one scan since I bought my machine and that was a Colt single-action revolver. I used modeling clay and it worked great. It stuck to the sled and held onto the gun without leaving any marks.(Yes, I did have to wipe off the gun when I was done.) But I'll be using clay again.

Reset
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Silly Putty

Tommy :)