PDA

View Full Version : Cut motor problem, and machine doesn't know it?

TurtleCove
10-15-2008, 11:49 AM
When my machine is carving, you can hear the cut motor speed varying, as it carves. 2 days ago, I got a "check cut motor" error, and when I told the machine to proceed, it did so, but the cut motor continued at full speed. You can hear the difference. You can hear the RPM's are maxed out.

After the carving, I went over the machine, and found no lose wires.

I began another carving, got no error message, and the cut motor sounded normal, with the RPM's changing, as it cut.

I haven't seen the "check cut motor" error since. Other posts up here state that if the cut motor continues to have issues, it will generate that error each time you start a new project.

Yesterday, I began a new project, and again the RPM's of the cut motor were varying, depending on what it was doing. Then at about 10% into the carve, I heard the RPM's change to full speed. No error message, no pausing of the machine, it continued its work, but you could certainly hear the RPM's were at full speed. And it continued this way, thru project completion.

Is it possible I have a cut motor problem, and the machine isn't warning me?

-dirk

Major_A
10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
It's the RPM sensor magnet inside of the cut motor. It is really nothing to worry about.

supershingler
10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
my machine has been doing that since day one and i have had no problems with anything. no errror messages or anything it just starts slow and then shifts into overdrive after a little bit

kendall

Deolman
10-15-2008, 01:11 PM
When I had the cut motor problem, the temperature of the flex shaft would be significantly elevated. When the motor was replaced and working properly, the temperature went back down to normal. Will it cause premature failure of the flex shaft? I don't know - I didn't take a chance on mine.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Pulling the cut motor out and opening it requires a little bit of work, but i have worked on three different cut motors several times and all of them had melted the shrink tube holds the magnet onto the shaft. The magnet falls off and disfunction happens with the RPM sensor. Another possibility or fix would be sometimes flexshaft lube heats up and runs down the flexshaft and gets on the RPM sensor, and a little dust on top of that can cause interference with the sensor. Thats just my experience working on my machine, not necessarily a quick fix. Although i do pull my cut motor about every 40 hours and clean it out. Even with a downdraft system i still get alot of dust in the cut motor. Good Luck.