PDA

View Full Version : Does the Carving List dicate order of events?

TurtleCove
10-15-2008, 01:51 AM
When I open my Carving list pane, and I see several items in the list....is that the order in which each item will be carried out my the machine?

If I wish to cut out a carving, is the machine smart enuf to perform the carving, before it would attempt to perform the cut path? Or, do I need to make sure the carving appears above the cut path, in the Carving List?

Hope I made sense here....

-dirk
www.thinboards.com

Kenm810
10-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Normally the machine carves Cutouts, Text, and Graphics or Patterns in the order that is most efficient for the machine,
and not necessarily in the order you see or put them in the Cut List. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

mtylerfl
10-15-2008, 08:03 AM
When I open my Carving list pane, and I see several items in the list....is that the order in which each item will be carried out my the machine?

If I wish to cut out a carving, is the machine smart enuf to perform the carving, before it would attempt to perform the cut path? Or, do I need to make sure the carving appears above the cut path, in the Carving List?

Hope I made sense here....

-dirk
www.thinboards.com (http://www.thinboards.com)

Hello Dirk,

It's true, the machine/software determines the order of all procedures and it makes no difference what order each element is in your Carving List. Drilling, carving, centerline, and decorative edging are always done before cut paths.

NOTE - Improvement in Cut Path Order: The most current version of Designer (1.131 or above) has gotten smarter when encountering nested cut paths. For example, if you draw two circles, one smaller one inside the other and make them both cut paths, the machine now "knows" to perform the cut path for the inner circle first.

Prior to this improvement, it was hit-or-miss which one would be cut out first. Now the software is more intelligent and nested cut outs are performed in the most sensible order for each project.

Amonaug
10-15-2008, 10:44 AM
General order of carvings are

Raster patterns
vectors/centerline text
drilling
cut paths

liquidguitars
10-16-2008, 10:34 AM
It's true, the machine/software determines the order of all procedures and it makes no difference what order each element is in your Carving List.

The Carving list can make a difference in ordering the carve but not like we would think. one resion for the new changes in 1.131.

LG

mtylerfl
10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
The Carving list can make a difference in ordering the carve but not like we would think. one resion for the new changes in 1.131.

LG

Hello LG,

Can you be more specific?

liquidguitars
10-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry but the idea the the carving list has/had no influence on the way Designer compiles is just not accurate.

LG

mtylerfl
10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Sorry but the idea the the carving list has/had no influence on the way Designer compiles is just not accurate.

LG

Hello LG,

I wish you could/would provide some real-world verification of that. It might be interesting, albeit probably not particularly important as far as an actual end-user benefit anyway. The machine/software determines what it thinks is best as far as task order.

Some time ago, I corresponded with Chris Morlier via email about the carving list as far as it having anything to do with the order in which tasks were performed. I just spent the last half hour looking for a copy of his email response on this subject and I cannot find it.

However, if memory serves me correctly based on his response, for all practical intents and purposes the carving list order does not have a meaningful bearing on the machine order/compiling for the end-user. Now, there are some obscure behind-the-scenes ordering tasks that can be slightly affected within grouped elements if the list order is changed within the group. Again, if I recall, it's such a "non-issue" that there is no real benefit or reason for an end-user to concern him/her self with any of that.

I want to add that I'm "teachable". So, if the information that I have is inaccurate in any way, I want to be the first to know about it.

liquidguitars
10-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Changing idems in tests show that this is the case, however if Designer compiles randomly then the tests could be wrong.

In a real world carving event, changing order has had a negative effect on what bit gets chosen IE the reason for upgrading the ordering in 1.131.

it really not a big issue now we have 1.131 but the need to choose what bit come first is an important wish list idem.

as a side note, Its a good idea to keep the carving structure logical and use grouping.

LG

mtylerfl
10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
To clarify...

The change in 1.131 task ordering has no influence on how that relates to the carving list. That change came about primarily to make sure nested cutpaths were performed in a more sensible order. (In other words, it is still a machine/software decision and has nothing to do with the carving list order.):)

liquidguitars
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
That change came about primarily to make sure nested cutpaths were performed in a more sensible order

yea i know its been a issue for a long time as reported to SE.

I have seen changes in the changing of bits like the 1/2 and 1/8 due to the way the project is setup or edited.

are you saying the compiler does not interface with the carving list at all? :)

LG

mtylerfl
10-16-2008, 04:57 PM
are you saying the compiler does not interface with the carving list at all? :)

LG

That's probably a question for Morlier to know for sure one way or the other.