PDA

View Full Version : How many of you drop oil on your bits before loading them?

TurtleCove
10-13-2008, 06:54 PM
I read that it's suggested to put a drop of 3 and 1 oil on your bits, before loading them into the bit holder. I assume, of course, you do this on the metal shaft, and not the cutting end, but do you put the drop of oil on the very end (the metal end...steel shank), or do you put it on the plastic recessed area ?

Jeff_Birt
10-13-2008, 06:56 PM
You put the oil on the adapter NOT the bit itself. This prevent/removes any oxidation and helps to transfer heat to the chuck.

Amonaug
10-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I read that it's suggested to put a drop of 3 and 1 oil on your bits, before loading them into the bit holder. I assume, of course, you do this on the metal shaft, and not the cutting end, but do you put the drop of oil on the very end (the metal end...steel shank), or do you put it on the plastic recessed area ?

I put a drop on my finger (not even a drop really) and rub it around the bit holder.

TurtleCove
10-13-2008, 06:57 PM
You put the oil on the adapter NOT the bit itself. This prevent/removes any oxidation and helps to transfer heat to the chuck.

Jeff, you mean the adapter on the machine, that the bit fits into?

Jeff_Birt
10-13-2008, 07:08 PM
The bit is the cutting part. The black thing that holds the bit is the adapter (also called a tool holder), see the image I attached. The part of the machine that the bit/adapter fits into is called the chuck.

myshop1044
10-13-2008, 08:06 PM
I fell for your question too, but the fact is I do oil up the Bit/adapter with oil on my finger, just an old habit. just like my farther taught me to keep it well oiled and it will do just find.

Kenm810
10-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Each time I start a new project, I like to put a drop in the top of the Bit adapter.
At 20,000 rpms it gets distributed very well inside the chuck -- no rust yet. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

liquidguitars
10-13-2008, 09:00 PM
At each bit change about 2 to 3 drops.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Every few bit changes I fill the cup at the up end of the bit holder too. This gives it more oil, plus I put some around the outside of the snap up ring too, letting it soak down. I end up with a drip and wipe it up.

AL

bizbiki
10-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I always spray a llittle dry lube on the bit adapter both before and after using the bit. Currently I use Jig-A-Loo which I bought at home depot. I havent had a bit get stuck since I started doing this.

My concern with using the 3 in 1 oil would be that it could lead to a build up of oil and thus dust and debri in and around the chuck. The dry lube drys dry and therefore it is much less likely to create an oily gunky mess on the chuck.

Jeff_Birt
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I've used both a dry spray lube and 3-in-1 on the chuck. I did each exclusively for several months a piece. While I would expect more of a build up with 3-in-1 I did not experience it. It could be due to the fact that some sawdust will accumulate either way and have to be cleaned out and the sawdust absorbs and carries away which every lubricant you use.

liquidguitars
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
My concern with using the 3 in 1 oil would be that it could lead to a build up of oil

The 3 in 1 will build up, but the added cooling of the oil could be better overall.

WD40 seems to work well cleaning the bit adapters to remove any wood dust around the set screws.

LG