PDA

View Full Version : Error's error's error's. Now it is a Z axis stall!

jimbu
10-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I just received my machine back from Carvewright three weeks ago, One carve went great, for the first time in over a year "NO ERROR MESSAGES". I was a real happy camper------for ONE day. Then the error messages started again. First one was Z axis stall. I pulled the cover off for the umpteenth time( I will never understand why these NASA scientist did not put a quick disconnect on the wiring so the damm cover can be set to the side while working on this practice in patience peice of j--k) The connections all seemed fine so I put the cover back on,flipped the switch, the close cover error message was gone as I had connected the switch wires together to confirm the cover switch was indeed was bad.(Yes I ordered a new switch and will disconnect my "fix") BUT again the error message was back "Z axis stall error 248". I had just installed my third Z pack in a little over a year and yes I checked those connections and all seemed fine. I am 72 with eyesight not the greatest so any suggestions are welcome.
jimbu

Amonaug
10-12-2008, 05:57 PM
With the power off can you move the Z-truck up and down smoothly? Have you checked the belts to make sure they are clear & tight? Someone mentioned one time a small screw behind the spindle came loose and was causing binding?

Those are just a few suggestions.

pine acres woodshop
10-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I had the z-axis stall 248 twice, The first time is because the z truck lost power, I had to remove the cover off of the motor and there is a small circuit board on the back of the motor, the solder joint on the top side of the circuit board had broken loose, so I resoldered it. The second time, my solder job failed resoldered it, it has been fine since.
Hope this helps.

Mark

concepte
10-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Just got my CW back from warranty fix - after 59 hours many items had failed that they listed on the ticket. Some I had to pay for others covered under warranty.
After two 45 minute carvings - I started my 3rd and I received a Z Axis Stall Error 248 the same as you.
I do not have an answer, but wanted to let you know it appears to be a common problem.
When I get my answer from Support I will post it here.

jimbu
10-13-2008, 12:07 AM
The truck moves up and down and sideways with no hangups. Tomorrow I will check the circut board. Thanks for all suggestions.
jimbu

concepte
10-13-2008, 07:15 AM
I found my Z Axis problem - there was an accumulation of wood dust on the vertical belt gears behind Head of the truck. Blew them out and movement is now good. Sounds like you have other problems. This error seems to be when the movement of the Z Axis does not move freely.

Good Luck

Jeff_Birt
10-13-2008, 08:19 AM
there was an accumulation of wood dust on the vertical belt gears behind Head of the truck.

A clean machine is a happy machine. :), I'm glad you got it sorted...

First one was Z axis stall. I pulled the cover off for the umpteenth time( I will never understand why these NASA scientist did not put a quick disconnect on the wiring

Error codes give you a hint as to what might be causing the problem. This first thing on your troubleshooting list should be to watch what the machine is doing as it is homing and while you're loading bits. Is the bit touching down on the bit plate fully? It the flexshaft plugged in properly? Is the machine clean. There are several such simple little checks you can (and should) make before you ever touch a screwdriver. Most of the time you'll find it is something simple.

Not diagnosing the problem first just means that your busy wasting all your time taking things apart without having a clue where to look yet. That is definitely no fun and just leads to frustration. I don't like being frustrated or seeing any of my fellow carvers frustrated either. Getting familiar with the homing process and bit measuring process will most often show you that there is a problem brewing that you need to take carve of. For instance, if I start seeing the bit plate acting a bit sluggish, that means it is time to make sure the pivot is clean and apply a drop of oil to it.

bjbethke
10-13-2008, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=jimbu;67146]( I will never understand why these NASA scientist did not put a quick disconnect on the wiring so the damm cover can be set to the side while working on this practice in patience peice of j--k)

jimbu, for a few cents you could buy two feed through connectors and install them. I have them on my CW machine.

You could also use jumpers to the CKT board (J1) and the cut motor to test with the cover off; I would use a face shield to do that. You never know when a part could come loose with the cover off.

Sometimes Bits come loose if not installed right.

jimbu
10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Jeff.
There is nothing to watch!
The menu comes up I select my project and the error appears. I do options #7 and move the truck up and down and nothing but 0000.
Teck support tells me I need a new ribbon conector. I am close to the price of a new machine in parts alone!! There repair center had my machine for 10 dqys 3 weeks ago, I carved one project when I got it back and then errors started. My machine is a little over a year old and I have worked on it to make it run more then I have carved on it. Not real happy with my purchase.
jimbu

Digitalwoodshop
10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
A Z Encoder reading 0000 with MOVEMENT could be the BIG FLAT Ribbon Cable..... from the Z Bundle. A Broken WIRE... A Flex installed BACKWARD with the plastic toward the contacts rather than the foil contact parts.... OR.... A pinched Board Detector wire shorting the data bus. What is the BOARD DETECTOR Reading?.... 000 bad 135 WITH white copy paper in the machine rather than wood. Paper just gives you a standard, as everyone has copy paper, not everyone has a pine board aged in the sun for 2 weeks with a shade of yellow..... So the paper standard should give you a 135....

Do you have the NEW Z bundle or the old Z?

AL

jimbu
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Al. I have the new Z bundle. I looked at the ribbon that was mentioned and a part of one contact was missing. Have a new one on order.
jimbu

oldman
10-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Has anyone seen this error before and if so what does it mean. My carver was going good and the next day I went to carve another project and when I turn the machine on and select the project and hit enter it does nothing. I thought that I may not have put the project on the card right and when I went to remove it from the card it came up with z truck error 404. I have call and emailed CW but have not heard back from them. After talking to LHR we did some checks to see if the z-truck was working ( in that the reading wound chang when the truck was moved up and down- they did). Further checks determind that the key pad had gone back in that the number 7,8,9 keys were all tied together along with the enter buttom, so LHR is sinding me a new key pad. By the way they they had not heard of error message 404 not even the engineer who built the machine, I guess us users will come up with all the rest of the problem the machine can have.

jimbu
10-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I found the "open cover" problem and repaired it. Broken wire! Now I have the Z axis error again. Talked to support and was told I needed a new ribbon cable. A week later I put it in. Guess what?? Z axis error again. I am so disgusted with this machine, I have called it every filthy name in the book. Here is where the error message comes up. I access the menu, select my project and hit enter. BINGO! There is the error.
What now??
jimbu

atauer
10-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Jimbu,

Is the Z-truck getting power?

To check, turn on the machine and try moving the z-truck up and down to feel the resistance. Then turn off the machine and move the truck up and down, while feeling for resistance.

The resistance should be greater when the machine is on. If it is the same, the z-motor may not be getting power, which could be a bad z motor, bad FFC, or bad termination board.

atauer
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Also, check to see if the gears on the z-motor have broken teeth. If they do, you will need to have replacement gears sent out.

FiddlemakerMills
10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
During a carve last week on a acrylic, I noticed that the material wasn't carving well. Small beads were being slung around and a build up on the cutter was happening. I stopped the machine and cleaned the bit off and vacumed out the unit. As soon as I restarted the carve the bit doug into the work. I shut down the machine, the z axis did not return to max hight position.
I turned the power off and did a really good cleaning. Some of the material was behind the z truck causing the drive belt to skip on the z axis. This caused the position senser to read inaccuratly the position of the z axis. I also removed the z axis position sensor cover and cleaned the dust from the sensor with low pressure air. After reassembling the unit and powering up the unit started up normaly.

Finding = error 404 is a z axis position differance induced by my pilot error. IE moving the z truck with the power on to remove the built up material from the cutter.

Up untill my switch cover failed I had no futher error 404.

jimbu
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Alex. There is no resistance at all with the power on or off. It moves up and down with no effort at all.
jimbu

Digitalwoodshop
10-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Is the screw holding the Z belt in back loose causing the head to move and belt stay still...?

Hold the lower belt cog gear and try to move head up and down. Tight screw and the belt moves. Loose screw belt slips... Had one that slips....

AL

TerryT
10-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Also check the plugs on the back of the z truck. If they come loose there will be no power to the z motor. Make sure the ribbon cable is firmly seated.