PDA

View Full Version : Machine keeps saying close cover

stephanilynn
10-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I just got my maching about 2 weeks ago and have cut a couple of things out with no problems. Now when I try to cut something out it starts and then says close cover and stops. So I open the cover and close it again and it cuts for like 2 seconds and stops and says close cover. I check the sensor in the sensor check option and it shows its working fine but still wont acknowledge that the cover is closed. If anyone know how I can fix this please let me know.

-Stephani

Amonaug
10-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Many threads on this subject.

Do a forum search for close cover and you'll find a lot of info on possible causes and fixes.

fbridgeford
10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
did you look to make sure that the cover switch is being depress "all the way" ? Simply meaning, that the vibration of the machine during carve isn't making the cover lose contact with the switch properly. Keep in mind that the COVER SWITCH is on the LEFT side of the machine, and the CUT MOTOR switch is on the RIGHT side.
I guess a quick way to test this theory is to start a carve up & keep your hand pressed down on the plexi-lid on the LEFT SIDE to make sure it' s constantly depressing that switch. If that works, you may be able to loosen the screws holding the switch in place, move the switch forward a bit, then tighten the screws down again.

Worth a shot; only a 5 min check.

stephanilynn
10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I read some of the other threads about this problem and I cleaned out both of the cover sensors and tightened the screws and tried to hold to cover down in place and nothing seems to be helping.

jimbu
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I just went thru this for the millionth time. Here is what I did (but be sure to remove the "test when finished) to save yourself from loosing one or more fingers!
I exposed the switch, slid back the insulation and soldered a small wire between the two connections. The error message went away showing the switch was faulty. I have one on order.
Please remember this is for testing only!!!
I really do not want to read a post by you wimping and crying about a finger laying in the bottom of the machine and you are unable to locate it.
jimbu

deemon328
10-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Maybe your cover is warped a little. There's nothing wrong with my cover switch, so I decided to pull up a little on the top cover(put my fingers in the slot that the flexshaft runs in and pulled up gently) near where the cover switch is, and that has fixed this problem for me.

I think disabling the switch is a horribly bad idea, for the record.

stephanilynn
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
thanks for all the help guys, I think I fixed that problem. I took the little sensor on the key pad side off and cleaned it all up and and put it back together and it still kept giving me the close cover message so I got frustrated and walked away. I came back to it today and all of a sudden it worked. Im starting to think my machine is just moody :) Now today the bit is wiggling all over and has the bb marks ive read about on the adapter. So im guessing i have to replace the qc and the bit? When I read all the trouble people are having with their machines they all have around 100 hours on theirs, I have about 8 hours on mine is this normal?

pscychnurse
10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
i had mine 8 months and 3 trips back to have it fixed before i ever carved my 1st project.....nothings normal with this machine. when i get the close cover over and over i cut it off and on....ANOTHER glithch of this piece of.......

Amonaug
10-13-2008, 02:33 PM
thanks for all the help guys, I think I fixed that problem. I took the little sensor on the key pad side off and cleaned it all up and and put it back together and it still kept giving me the close cover message so I got frustrated and walked away. I came back to it today and all of a sudden it worked. Im starting to think my machine is just moody :) Now today the bit is wiggling all over and has the bb marks ive read about on the adapter. So im guessing i have to replace the qc and the bit? When I read all the trouble people are having with their machines they all have around 100 hours on theirs, I have about 8 hours on mine is this normal?

No that is not normal. Be sure to read the Care and Maintainence of the QC
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/downloads

Always clean the QC between bit changes and on long carves. Make sure the but is secure and the lines on the QC line up. Wiggle the bit once it's inserted, there should be NO movement. If it wiggles, take it out and reload it, maybe checking for any dust in the QC. Snap the QC collar up and down a few times and/or blow some air into it.

Audie
10-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Stephanilynn,

before you try to carve anything else you should lightly tap out the QC...I lift and let it snap back a few imes to ensure that their is not any sawdust packed into it....also, with a mirror, look up into the QC and make sure the red lines are lining up.....my bit was wobbly - the bearings was not fully pressing into the bit mount.....after a thorough cleaning I am able to seat my bits nice and tight and avoiding the bb marks on my bits.

Audie

Audie
10-13-2008, 06:02 PM
i had mine 8 months and 3 trips back to have it fixed before i ever carved my 1st project.....nothings normal with this machine. when i get the close cover over and over i cut it off and on....ANOTHER glithch of this piece of.......

Gawd....so resourceful and informative...

olkarch
11-08-2008, 12:01 PM
thanks for all the help guys, I think I fixed that problem. I took the little sensor on the key pad side off and cleaned it all up and and put it back together and it still kept giving me the close cover message so I got frustrated and walked away. I came back to it today and all of a sudden it worked. Im starting to think my machine is just moody...

After seeing several references to removing the cover switch to clean or replace, my question is 'how?' My cover switch had sporadically stopped everything a couple of projects ago, but this morning it won't register at all. I tried blowing dust out and have checked it by depressing it repeatedly with a stick, but it won't switch. How do you remove it?

Olin

Amonaug
11-08-2008, 12:49 PM
After seeing several references to removing the cover switch to clean or replace, my question is 'how?' My cover switch had sporadically stopped everything a couple of projects ago, but this morning it won't register at all. I tried blowing dust out and have checked it by depressing it repeatedly with a stick, but it won't switch. How do you remove it?

Olin

There are 2 tiny screws holding it to the underside of the cover. Simply remove them. Put a cloth or something across the sandpaper belts in case you drop them.