PDA

View Full Version : Carving tip

Amonaug
10-12-2008, 11:52 AM
When you clean out the CW during a carve make sure to give the bit a jiggle to make sure it's still seated tight in the holder especially on long carves.

Reason I say this is I've been checking mine (currently doing several 10-12 hours carve making ornaments) and I've found a slight movement (side to side) in the bit, not really much to worry about but over time could cause damage. So I lightly tap the QC a few times while turning it around and test the bit again. I found that it sits tighter after that.So apparently sawdust is getting behind the set screws and causing the movement.

mesquite
10-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I am considersig purchasing one of these carvers but hate to hear about breakdowns and downtime, I only need simple text but would like the ability to do more complex projects if desired later. I work with primarily mesquite lumber it is very hard wood and is hard on bits and blades, should I consider a different machine????
thanks for any comments
mesquite

Amonaug
10-12-2008, 02:23 PM
As long as you maintain it and keep it clean even while carving (pausing every 15-30 minutes to vaccuum depending on if you have a downdraft system) then it should be any problem.

Deep carves may put more of a strain on the bit but it doesn't plunge down into the wood all at once especially if you apply feathering to the pattern. Cut paths and vectors you can tell it how deep to carve on each pass with version 1.31.

I carve in oak and several other hardwoods with no problem, I would stay away from teak since it has a good bit of sand in it and that will dull bits in no time.

angelaf987
10-13-2008, 04:20 AM
Thank you very much for the advice, I just started with the whole thing and it's great to learn from someone with experience.