PDA

View Full Version : Height parameter in Designer? How is it used?

Rocky
10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
I can't seem to find a good explanation of how and when to change the "height" parameter in Designer. On my projects, it seems to always default to "100". I've tried changing it to see what happens, but I don't notice any difference in the Designer display. The "Help" file doesn't seem to cover it, or at least I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

JVallario
10-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Rocky - As I understand it the depth is controlled in actual dimensions.125 .250 etc. but the height is in percentage to the top of the board. A 100 height brings the highest point in the pattern to the same level of the board surface. If I am correct that would mean a setting of 80 would leave the top of the pattern 20% below the board surface. If that is wrong hopefully somebody can straighten me out.

The part I am still having difficulty understanding is when the height is set to 999. I don't see where that setting would buy you anything over the 100 setting. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Rocky
10-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Rocky - As I understand it the depth is controlled in actual dimensions.125 .250 etc. but the height is in percentage to the top of the board. A 100 height brings the highest point in the pattern to the same level of the board surface. If I am correct that would mean a setting of 80 would leave the top of the pattern 20% below the board surface. If that is wrong hopefully somebody can straighten me out.

The part I am still having difficulty understanding is when the height is set to 999. I don't see where that setting would buy you anything over the 100 setting. Maybe I'm just dumb.

John, I've seen someone say use "999", too; that confused me. Maybe we're both "dumb"? :roll:

roughcut
10-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I can tell you what was told to me change the pattern to different heights and observe the change in the lower left corner of Designer the third set of numbers sh6ows how deep the face of the design is..........

I can't seem to find a good explanation of how and when to change the "height" parameter in Designer. On my projects, it seems to always default to "100". I've tried changing it to see what happens, but I don't notice any difference in the Designer display. The "Help" file doesn't seem to cover it, or at least I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

brdad
10-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Assume a given pattern has a default height of .25 inches. If you keep that pattern at the original scale and place it on a board at a depth of .4 inches and height of 100, the top of that pattern will be .15 inches below the top of the board (.4 - .25).

If you increase the height to 130, the height of the pattern will stretch to 130% of the original, or .25 X 130% = 0.325. So the top of that pattern will be 0.075 inches below the top of the board (.4 - .325).

If you keep increasing the height eventually you will get to a point where the theoretical top of the pattern is higher than the top of the board. When the pattern reaches the top of the board, Designer is smart enough to not let the pattern go any higher, since there is nothing to carve. Setting a pattern to 999 guarantees that top of the pattern will be at the top of the board. In the previous example, so would setting the height to 150.

If you resize a pattern larger, it's height increases as well, And if you make a pattern smaller, it makes the pattern height smaller.

I also find it confusing there are two heights - the height in designer, which is the % you are asking about, and pattern height, which is the default height of the pattern when it was created.

I posted a pattern I made to play with height and help me figure it out not long ago. It is in this post (http://forum.carvewright.com//showpost.php?p=62707&postcount=617). It helped me a lot.

Amonaug
10-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Assume a given pattern has a default height of .25 inches. If you keep that pattern at the original scale and place it on a board at a depth of .4 inches and height of 100, the top of that pattern will be .15 inches below the top of the board (.4 - .25).

If you increase the height to 130, the height of the pattern will stretch to 130% of the original, or .25 X 130% = 0.325. So the top of that pattern will be 0.075 inches below the top of the board (.4 - .325).

If you keep increasing the height eventually you will get to a point where the theoretical top of the pattern is higher than the top of the board. When the pattern reaches the top of the board, Designer is smart enough to not let the pattern go any higher, since there is nothing to carve. Setting a pattern to 999 guarantees that top of the pattern will be at the top of the board. In the previous example, so would setting the height to 150.

If you resize a pattern larger, it's height increases as well, And if you make a pattern smaller, it makes the pattern height smaller.

I also find it confusing there are two heights - the height in designer, which is the % you are asking about, and pattern height, which is the default height of the pattern when it was created.

I posted a pattern I made to play with height and help me figure it out not long ago. It is in this post (http://forum.carvewright.com//showpost.php?p=62707&postcount=617). It helped me a lot.

Give that man a cigar :D

Rocky
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM

It has been a long day. I had better read this explanation again in the morning when my brain and eyes are fresh.

Thanks, and I 2nd the cigar move.

Major_A
10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
It is how high the top of the pattern is to the surface of the board.

See pic for example.

Rocky
10-13-2008, 04:08 AM

I checked the post you referenced; great idea, Thanks!

Rocky
10-13-2008, 04:09 AM
It is how high the top of the pattern is to the surface of the board.

See pic for example.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks!