PDA

View Full Version : Lithophanes as a window accent...

JLT
10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Wife's in the midst of authoring a historical fiction. Thought I'd give her something relevant to look at when contemplating, rather than staring at the squirrels... ;-)

The lithophanes show well from early dawn to late dusk. During the night they act as a partial curtain.

Material is Poly Cutting Board by Sabatier, 12" x 18" x 0.25" (~$8) from Lowes. Two small screws and 30lb fishing line are used to hang them from the latch.

Jon

want2b
10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
That is just too cool, especially neat that you don't have to build any box or lighting issues. Can be easily stored and changed with mood or season. Also is a great fit for the style of your home.
Thx for sharing, great idea.
Rick H.

LollyWood
10-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Jon,

What a very cool idea. That will brighten up the Boss' sewing room. Thanks for the idea.

Rocky
10-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Very nice idea.....looks great. I have yet to try a litho. How deep did you carve?

JLT
10-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Rocky,

The material is exactly 0.25" thick, and I carved to a depth of 0.185", using a height of 400.

Also, when importing the image, I keep the "Floor Edges" option checked, as this allows a natural border around the image. When finished carving, I size the Poly Cutting Board on a table saw to leave ~1" edge around this floored edge, and sand the rough edges with 100 grit sandpaper.

Jon

Rocky
10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Rocky,

The material is exactly 0.25" thick, and I carved to a depth of 0.185", using a height of 400.

Also, when importing the image, I keep the "Floor Edges" option checked, as this allows a natural border around the image. When finished carving, I size the Poly Cutting Board on a table saw to leave ~1" edge around this floored edge, and sand the rough edges with 100 grit sandpaper.

Jon

Thanks, Jon

fwharris
10-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Jon,

They are just great! If you were going to break up what is already a great view they really hit the spot. Thanks for sharing both the carving and the material used.

Major_A
10-12-2008, 10:12 PM
That is really neat. Thank you for letting us know about the material used too.

JLT
10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Major_A / fwharris,

In the event that you wish to pursue Lithophanes with the Poly Cutting Board from Lowes, I've gone into greater detail in the following thread discussing some of the nuances:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8514

Jon

Kenm810
10-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi Jon,

I mentioned earlier how impressed I was when you posted your first Litho.
Enough that yesterday I went over to one of our local Lowe's stores
and picked up a couple of the Ploy Cutting Boards ($9.00 ea) to give them a try,
they stock two or three different sizes. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
They still have the 9Watt Fluorescent Puck lights on sale
so I got a few of them at the same time. Normally about ($10.00 ea)

Thanks for the tip and Info

fwharris
10-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Jon,

Thanks for the update with the added info. I did see your original post before but with this post it really caught my interest. Thanks again...

Major_A / fwharris,

In the event that you wish to pursue Lithophanes with the Poly Cutting Board from Lowes, I've gone into greater detail in the following thread discussing some of the nuances:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8514

Jon

JLT
10-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Ken, let us know how your Lithos turn out.

Rick H had a great idea too, regarding changing the Lithos out to fit mood or season. I fear even writing this, though, lest my better half even get a hint of the idea, and I find myself replacing my poor man's portrait gallery with halloween, thanksgiving, and/or xmas theme... ;-)