PDA

View Full Version : No picture in window

Dan-Woodman
10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I haven't see anyone mention that in designer there's no picture in the pattern window below the basic and favorites. I thought it was my problem cause three days ago the wife was starting up the computer and the electric went off, came on , went off several times before she could do anything.
To make a long story short ,it works now execpt for that picture.
Just called LHR . They are aware of it and say hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.
later Daniel

STEAM
10-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Daniel
I just tried mine and it works OK. You may want to re-install the software. Some of the registry files may have been corrupted by the computer going on and off.
Good luck .

atauer
10-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Daniel and Tim,

Reinstalling the software may help resolve the issue, but I don't think that ma resolve the issue. For some reason, the issue only occurs on certain computers. Here at work, the window does not work, but on my laptop at home, it does work. I have tried re-installing the software at work and it did not work. I'm not sure what is really occurring here, but it is a known issue.

Amonaug
10-10-2008, 05:43 PM
1.31 & I don't have a problem with it either.

Mikewiz
10-10-2008, 05:44 PM
What picture are you talking about?

Amonaug
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
What picture are you talking about?

When you click "Pattern Tool" and your pattern library opens up, when you select a pattern a preview of it appears in a small window below.

Kenm810
10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Down here, http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Dan-Woodman
10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
When I move the mouse pointer over the window , I get the "rotate" icon.
No parts were changed out in my computer after the power failure.
later Daniel

Kenm810
10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
I get the "rotate" icon also but with the photo,
Moving the icon rotates the small photo.

Dan-Woodman
10-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Ken
as stated above ,I get the rotate icon with no picture. I also got another problem since the electric outage . when I go to download an mpc file from the forum I get a window asking if I want to find a program in Windows to open the mpc. Before the window came up as open,save,cancel. Now it comes up as find, save ,cancel.
When I press find it takes me to a screen that asks for the file extension mpc.
Thanks for the help anyone. I have to get up at 5am so I'll chat tommorrow.
later Daniel

FiddlemakerMills
10-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Ken
as stated above ,I get the rotate icon with no picture. I also got another problem since the electric outage . when I go to download an mpc file from the forum I get a window asking if I want to find a program in Windows to open the mpc. Before the window came up as open,save,cancel. Now it comes up as find, save ,cancel.
When I press find it takes me to a screen that asks for the file extension mpc.
Thanks for the help anyone. I have to get up at 5am so I'll chat tommorrow.
later Daniel

I would restore the computer to a date prior to the power outtage.

want2b
10-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Maybe I missed it but what version of windows are you using? I'm on Windows XP and if I double click an MPC or PTN it asks me if I want to find a program to open the file. When I single click it then goes to the window asking if I want to Save or Open. I haven't dug into XP much but seem to remember there were option settings I believe in the Control panel for actions to preform based on type/number of mouse clicks. Possibly something there got hosed up during the power glitches. Good luck
Rick

STEAM
10-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Daniel and Tim,

Reinstalling the software may help resolve the issue, but I don't think that ma resolve the issue. For some reason, the issue only occurs on certain computers. Here at work, the window does not work, but on my laptop at home, it does work. I have tried re-installing the software at work and it did not work. I'm not sure what is really occurring here, but it is a known issue.

This type of thing can also be caused by the video card. If it worked before the power problem then it can also be that the video driver is now corrupt.
From my personal experence I also know that different video chips give me different results.
I have the best luck with ATI based video cards whereas with NVidia gave me problems with various programs. Most of what I do is very graphic intense and that is how I discovered the difference between the two chip sets. This could be part of the issue.

Amonaug
10-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe I missed it but what version of windows are you using? I'm on Windows XP and if I double click an MPC or PTN it asks me if I want to find a program to open the file. When I single click it then goes to the window asking if I want to Save or Open. I haven't dug into XP much but seem to remember there were option settings I believe in the Control panel for actions to preform based on type/number of mouse clicks. Possibly something there got hosed up during the power glitches. Good luck
Rick

You can set certain file type to open with certain programs (called associations). Most programs set the associations when they are installed, some (like if you have multiple video programs installed) ask if you want to change them when they are installed.

The easiest way to set an association is to right-click on a file (for example an .mpc) while holding the shift key. This will open a menu, select "Open with" then choose the program you wish to open the file with. In this case you would go to the Carvewright folder and find gui.exe. Be sure to put a check in the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file". Then when you open the file from windows explorer, etc it will automatically open Designer. Sometimes such as what happened above the association can get wiped or corrupted along with drivers and several other files.

As for video and OS, I'm running
WinXP Pro SP2 x64
Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT overclocked with the 6.14.11.6921 drivers

I have no problem with the window.

atauer
10-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't think that it is a video card issue as i am running the software on a XP with Nvidia and a Vista with ATI and the window doesn't work in either. There has to be something else to it other than video cards and video drivers. If it was a video card or driver issues, wouldn't other items not work correctly as well?

Amonaug
10-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, under Edit > Preferences > 3D Graphics, what is everyone's settings that can't see the window?

Under General my rendering cache is 128 MB
the rest is
Ambient - Mid level
Light Top left
Perspective - High
Hardware acceleration - Auto

atauer
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Here are the settings for my Vista. Don't have the XP specs, as I'm not home at the moment.

Under General my rendering cache is 256 MB
the rest is
Ambient - Mid level
Light Top left
Perspective - High
Hardware acceleration -Off

Turning on the hardware acceleration causes the program to crash, so I have it set at off.

Amonaug
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Here are the settings for my Vista. Don't have the XP specs, as I'm not home at the moment.

Under General my rendering cache is 256 MB
the rest is
Ambient - Mid level
Light Top left
Perspective - High
Hardware acceleration -Off

Turning on the hardware acceleration causes the program to crash, so I have it set at off.

Well see, to me that sounds like a video card/driver conflict somewhere.

And I just tested mine, with hardware accel OFF there is no picture in the window. Which would make sense, in order to reduce software resources rendering the pattern preview is cut out.

Dan-Woodman
10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
OK I'm back,had to work today.
Here's what I got,
Rendering 16
Ambient mid
Light top left
Perspective med
Hardware auto
Also I'm on Windows xp
My Tower says Graphics by ATI
Radeon Express 2000
The easiest way to set an association is to right-click on a file (for example an .mpc) while holding the shift key. This will open a menu, select "Open with" then choose the program you wish to open the file with. In this case you would go to the Carvewright folder and find gui.exe. Be sure to put a check in the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file". Then when you open the file from windows explorer, etc it will automatically open Designer. Sometimes such as what happened above the association can get wiped or corrupted along with drivers and several other files.
p.s. I don't know how to highlight the above message from Amonaug's post.

Amonaug
I tried this above as you suggested and the closest I came was into my pattern library, not the carvewright gui. exe
Also , If I try reinstallingdesigner as someone suggested, would I lose my favorites patterns?

My picture is still out

Not knowing computers , I have no Idea what should be set where.
later Daniel