PDA

View Full Version : Flexshaft suggestion

Amonaug
10-10-2008, 12:21 PM
When lubing the flexshaft also remove the spring to check it's condition. I pulled mine out yesterday and found 5 inches missing. The other 5 " was in several pieces stuck in the tubing. Some pieces were just a single loop with sharp edges which over time would have cut into the flexshaft core.

Called LHR and the tech said it should be OK to run it with the short spring as the spring is only a silencer. I switched springs with my spare machine, figured better to be on the safe side and only use the spare machine for short carves, etc.

Amonaug
10-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Yesterday pulled the flexshaft again and again found 5 inches missing from the spring on the cut motor side. Not sure why the spring keeps breaking. This was the spring from my spare machine.

cnsranch
10-20-2008, 10:32 AM
It's gotta be catching on something inside the shaft. Have you thought about running something thru the shaft - like you would when cleaning a gun barrel - to see if there's a rough spot?

liquidguitars
10-20-2008, 01:53 PM
I have gone through a few springs so if the shaft is clean " i use paint thinner" it could be the spring is past its life span. guessing 100 hrs or so for the core and spring.

LG

Amonaug
10-20-2008, 02:33 PM
It's gotta be catching on something inside the shaft. Have you thought about running something thru the shaft - like you would when cleaning a gun barrel - to see if there's a rough spot?

I took pipe cleaners and ran it through the shaft to clean out the broken pieces.

LHR tech support rep is going to ask one of the engineers on possible causes.