PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Question

tstryk
10-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I sent my machine back for a broken Ztruck and got a call today that I needed to pay for traction belts and a flex shaft. I understand why the belts are not covered...they are consumable. Apparently the flex shaft is never covered under warranty either. It was melted from what they are saying and blame me for not lubricating it properly. Are there other things not covered under warranty?

Amonaug
10-08-2008, 05:23 PM
The only other thing I can think that isn't covered by warranty are the bits.

Jeff_Birt
10-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Terry, sorry to hear about your flexshaft troubles. It is something you need to keep an eye on. CW recommends placing your hand on the flex shaft during carving to gauge its temperature and lubricating it when it gets too hot. Many things can influence how long a lube-job will last including the ambient temp/humidity the lube you use and how long you let it set without using it(look in the users guide for more info about the proper lubrication to use and how to lubricate.)

Of all the lessons you can learn the hard way on a piece of equipment that one was at least no too painful. BTW, you can also download the Tips&Tricks newsletters from CW's main website. There is one on how to maintain your machine and many others that will help you avoid some of the most common 'newbie' mistakes.

Digitalwoodshop
10-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Even improper packing of the unit jamming the flex shaft can KINK the spring inside and as soon as they start testing the metal to metal of the kink will burn up the cable with or without lubrication. I learned this lesson when my machine sat in the hot sun out on my deck while I was repairing it and multi-tasking. The rubber of the flex was soft and I flipped it up and installed it without thinking. I had kinked the spring and shortly after I started carving it burned up.... My fault.... It was lubricated. Handle with CARE.....

AL

tstryk
10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I know I lubricated it often, but with white lithium - not the gunk or liquid wrench....but it was lubricated every week or so. It's not a problem, and I'm glad it is fixed - just frustrating!

mtylerfl
10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I know I lubricated it often, but with white lithium - not the gunk or liquid wrench....but it was lubricated every week or so. It's not a problem, and I'm glad it is fixed - just frustrating!

Hello,

I have two machines and have only lubricated the flex shafts ONCE since I've owned them (using Gunk Liquid Wrench with moly, NOT lithium grease of course).

I always "touch" the flex shafts two or three times during a long carve just to see if they are generating any heat - they don't. The "old" recommendation was to lubricate every 20 hours of use - not so anymore, provided you use the proper lubricant. Now you lubricate the flexshafts only when they start showing any signs of excessive heat build-up. The moly sure lasts a long time!