PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new machine. What to do first?

crowbait
10-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Machine arrived today.
Still in the box.
I went out and bought some Molly Lube.
Comes in a sqirt bottle.
Guess I'll squirt some in that flex shaft everyone speaks of, when I see it.
Anything else I should do, before my first run, gang?

I think I recall reading up here a while ago, to not blow the machine off with an air hose, due to some sensor issues?...or was I just dreaming that?

I've read some add a drop of 3in1 oil, when inserting bits each time.
Any other pointers before I get going tomorrow or the next day?

Jeff_Birt
10-07-2008, 11:21 PM
First welcome aboard!

Read, read, read...that's the three best things you can do. Look on the main CW sight under the 'Support' tab. There many resources available to the CW owner such as tutorials, the Tips&Tricks etc. I would suggest starting at the very first Tips&Tricks and reading up through the very latest issue. This will help you avoid the most common new owners 'pilot errors' and save a lot of frustration in the process.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not suggest making use of the forums 'search' feature. Many times you'll be able to lay your hands right on an answer with a quick search. It helps you get the most out of the forum.

DrBob
10-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Machine arrived today.
I went out and bought some Molly Lube.
Comes in a sqirt bottle.
Guess I'll squirt some in that flex shaft everyone speaks of, when I see it.

Hi crowbait
Don't squirt it down the flex shaft take it out of the sheath and soak it in a bag and hang it up to drip or dry as to not have any excess on it when you put it back in the sheath.
Bob

oldjoe
10-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Second that on the flex lube and what Jeff said read. Also maybe start out slow do a quick sign for your shop the The sign could read Caution Stay out Mad Carver at work. Put in a couple of the free patterns and just have some fun making dust.
Good Luck and welcome to the carving world
And the carver doesn't carve jackolanterns very well kind of messy. :rolleyes:

TurtleCove
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys, we're really excited to run this baby.
Been reading all night, up here.

Read a post saying, that on long carves, stop it, and let it cool down and rest, then go again. On some of these carves that take hours, is it suggested that I NOT kick it in, and then go run some errands, leave the house, etc?

Right off the bat, I know I'll baby sit and watch it work...just for pure fun, but after while, I was hoping I could kick it in, and then forget about it 'til it's done. No?

supershingler
10-08-2008, 12:19 PM
you dont have to tower over it when it is carving but it is nice to be within a few steps in case of a problem.

i usuall start the carver and then do other projects in the shop. that is the beauty of this machine is you can start it, let it eat, and take the product out when it is done.

it just makes me stay in the shop and finish stuff that i might ignore.

you will love it.

ive been trying to find a cure for being a carvaholic but no luck yet lol

good luck and dont be afraid to ask a stupid question they're easier to handle than a stupid mistake

kendall

Amonaug
10-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Personally I wouldn't leave it unattended for long. As was said you don't have to hover over it the entire carve but it is a good idea to check on it evey 15-30 minutes IF you have a downdraft system. If not I'd say you'll need to vacuum it at least every 15 minutes or so.

I would never start it and run off to do errands. If I have to leave I pres stop ONCE and pause the carve then when I return I press enter to resume.

LollyWood
10-08-2008, 03:33 PM
First off, Welcome

The hard part is over. (the decision to buy ;)) Read, read, and as Jeff said reread. Take your manual to the "New Toy" and push a few buttons. Get your parts diagram and identify the locations of the "uh-oh" parts and how to get at em. Play....PLAY w/ designer. then just when you can't stand it any more....put a piece of wood in and let er rip. If you've read the basics, understand the set up, and adhere to the boundries, something WILL come out. Then it's just practice, study, trial, and enjoyment (yes and a few errors) But, if you love to see finished products like most of us do...you'll be hooked and on your way!

Best of luck and remember
You MUST post your work (we LOVE Pics around here:D).

Ike
10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Personally I wouldn't leave it unattended for long. As was said you don't have to hover over it the entire carve but it is a good idea to check on it evey 15-30 minutes IF you have a downdraft system. If not I'd say you'll need to vacuum it at least every 15 minutes or so.

I would never start it and run off to do errands. If I have to leave I pres stop ONCE and pause the carve then when I return I press enter to resume.

:oops: guess I have been lucky I set mine all the time and let it go. Wait the carving time then check, if finished then I clean and start a new project. Have even went to town and came back to a completed project!

Been my experience if a problem occurs it will shut down by itself. Always use sharp bits, never had issues of burning.

knocking on wood!

Ike

Firedkm
10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I have done the same thing as Ike. I never had a problem until tonite. I snapped the cutting bit cutting out letters 3/4" thick. I guess i should have upgraded to the new version of software. Live and learn.....now I have to replace an expensive bit.

Dale

TurtleCove
10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
"always use sharp bits"....
Are they resharpenable? Are these a "throw away" sort of thing, like chainsaw files? How long will they carve before dulling? Is burning of wood my best indication of getting dull?

You guys are the best...I would have never bought it, without you all.

A little more on me....

My profession is as a software developer. I'm the kind of nerd that will enjoy the software aspect of this. I also have a HUGE inventory of both domestic and exotic woods ready for carving. I have very little woodworking skills. I have a huge Minimax 24" bandsaw that I resaw stock on, all the time...for others. Most of my woodworking, has been in the preparation of thin stock, for those with woodworking talent...as a supplier. I also own a nice planer, jointer, compound miter, and table saw....oh, and 5 chainsaws.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com

cnsranch
10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Dirk -

The bits will likely outlive your use (unless you're Al :-D )

TIMCOSBY
10-09-2008, 03:07 PM
will attract dust. try a dry lube instead. mine carves unattended all the time.
the longest was 14 hours started one night went to bed came back next day to a great dragon carve.

atauer
10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
y

ive been trying to find a cure for being a carvaholic but no luck yet lol

kendall

Kendall,

have you ever thought of starting a "Carvaholics Anonymous" club?

Kinda like "AA" but for carvers.

mtylerfl
10-09-2008, 04:49 PM
will attract dust. try a dry lube instead. mine carves unattended all the time.
the longest was 14 hours started one night went to bed came back next day to a great dragon carve.

I vote for 3-in-1 oil for the bits and inside the QC. Prevents rust, which is a real problem in humid climates like here in Georgia.

I really haven't had any problem with sawdust at all using the 3-in-1 on the bits and QC. I should add that I keep the QC "sparkling clean" after every use. I use an old toothbrush to "scrub" it from underneath, sometimes blow a little compressed air (aquarium tubing on the end of the nozzle to reach up inside) and every two or three uses, I'll squirt some WD40 up into the chuck area locking mechanism around the outer edge with a towel underneath it to protect the traction belt from any drips. Then I'll put a little 3-in-1 on my finger and swab all around inside the QC.

I do use dry lube on the touch plate and on the Z/Y rails.

Ike
10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Been using an all purpose oil like 3 in 1, used for evaporator coolers. It has been working fine! I tap my QC with a soft object lightly like I do with my routers, it gets the dust clumps out well. Then I blow it out well.

I have hesitated to spray any lube for the fear of it gumming up the QC. What kind of dry lube would anybody recommend for the Z/Y rail? I have been lightly wiping my all purpose oil and ok so far!

Ike

supershingler
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
atauer

i dont want to solve my carvaholic problem(is it really a problem?)

i figure if i nuture it along
it will just get better on its own.

i really like this machine and what a lifechanging experience it has been for me.

i cant wait to get home and start another project

i hope it never changes lol

kendall

Audie
10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Kendall,

have you ever thought of starting a "Carvaholics Anonymous" club?

Kinda like "AA" but for carvers.

Uh oh....I thought this was the Carvaholics meeting place! Tis the reason I come here daily.....multiple times! LOL

Audie