PDA

View Full Version : 1.131 cut path option on machine

cnc4me
10-07-2008, 07:59 AM
About the new cut path feature- when prompted by the machine to either ( use board ) or to ( use project ) my question is, if you for example in designer you make your board thickness say 1/4 in thick, and I place a 1/2 inch board under my 1/4 inch board, will it only cut path the 1/4 inch with tabs? I ran a project the other day and when prompted I selected use board and it worked fine ( just one board that was 1/2 thick). But it got me thinking that maybe I could cut out thin projects mounted on thicker boards but not have the machine want to cut the entire thickness.

Thanks

Jeff_Birt
10-07-2008, 08:03 AM
The answer to all your questions:

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf

Also, you might find that the 'Search' tool would have found the same information...

DrBob
10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Jeff...It has been said many times in this forum...how great it is for all the help you get thru the users who are willing to answer questions and help out a bit when asked...and not just give a roadmap...the personal approach is what you should be moderating towards...his question was just one..and...it was a simple yes or no answer...if he asks questions later...maybe...someone else will jump in and help him...thats what makes this forum so great...everyone helps out in a personable way....well..thats just my opinion....

DrBob
10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry mytylerfl, I did search "centerline" and got about 300 hits. I just figured I would get a much small headache by asking again.

Thanks for the input guys. I will search again and sift through some of the posts.

Hey Mike, When you search, on the right hand side is the section that post is in. ( Software, trouble shooting, etc) Try looking in the Galleries. Some pics will show ya how cool Centerline is. A must for top notch font lettering and worth every cent.

This is a good example of how the Carvewright Community works folks....

cnc4me
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys, now that the site is up again I'm able to see the tips!

Jeff_Birt
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Jeff...It has been said many times in this forum...how great it is for all the help you get thru the users who are willing to answer questions and help out a bit when asked...and not just give a roadmap...the personal approach is what you should be moderating towards...

I guess I don't follow your point Dr. Bob. The OP had a good question whose answer was recently given in another excellent Tips&Tricks newsletter by Michael Tyler. My response not only provided the source of the answer he sought but also a pointed out an excellent resource (in general) and it likely contains explanations to questions that he might not even realize that he has yet (i.e. all the other new features in Designer 1.131).

Speaking generally, I would wager that I have spent more of my own personal time helping out other folks on this forum than most other users combined. It is far more beneficial, in my opinion, to not only provide answers but to guide folks into learning how to find answers themselves. You know the whole, "Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish" thing.

If you follow my responses through time you would see that I move between providing detailed answers (and suggesting search topics for more research), to providing a short answer and number of links that I found related to the OP's (question along with the search keywords used), but if I'm short on time just a link to the information the OP was looking for (and suggesting the use of 'Search'.) The less time I have on my hand at the moment the more succinct the response.

Why do I bother to do all this? Is it so I can get grief for it? NO, it because I find this little machine fascinating. It opens the world of CNC up to everyone in an easy to use and affordable manner. I also realize that everyone comes to this forum with diffrent backgrounds. The things that bind us all together are the fascination with the CW and our desire to learn more about using it.

Nothing is more frustrating than not knowing what to do when something is not working right and you don't know where to look for answers. That is why folks ask questions on forums: 1) Lack of knowledge and 2) not knowing where to find the answer. You see there are two facets. Just answering specific questions only covers the first part not the second. Many. many times the source of the answer can be found in the numerous resources now available to CW owners (Tips&Tricks, tutorials, help files, CW tech support, and the pages of this very forum via search and direct questions). Sadly many of our fellow CW owners don't realize that all of these resources exist.

What I'm saying is that it is my style to try and help other folks to help themselves as it has been my experiance that life is far less frustrating when you know where to look (most of the time) to find the answers you seek. Others may have diffrent styles, that's fine as there is room for all of us in here...:)

Audie
10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Jeff,

I appreciate the links you provide....and the responses everyone FREELY provides to this community. Short of creating a database of "responses" and doing a cut and paste the links and search method is right on time. Personally, I am not looking for the 10 cent answer by a quick yes or no....rather, learning with much information that has been and is provided by so many members of this forum. Rock on buddy and thank you for the time and energy you put into this forum!

Audie