PDA

View Full Version : How can I disable the "cover open"

jimbu
10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
I have had so many problems I am beginning to think I have purchased a "LEMON". After installing a new "Z" pack(the second one not counting the original) I started to get the error message "cover open". I blew the micro switch out with air, opened and closed the cover numerous times and to no avail. Tech support says I need a new switch. I am tired of buying parts, the machine is a little over a year old and I have only been able to complete 11 projects and I have over 1,200 hours on the machine.Almost all spent with problems. I would like to know how to bypass the cover switch to see if that is really my problem. Anyone done this?
jimbu

Ike
10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
You know the cover switch is a safety issue and that might be why nobody has offered an answer! Sorry to hear you have had so much problems, 1,200 hours wow! You will get the same answer not to bypass the switch because when you need to open the cover the machine will continue to carve without power. Of course you can pause it by hitting stop one time. Do it twice then you need to restart the project!

I am not suggesting or telling you how to bypass the switch. But it is a switch like a light switch in your home it is on a series circuit. You have your hot lead ( black wire) and the neutral (white wire) On one side the black wire is connected to the switch and on the other side another black wire is connected going to say a light. Your neutral wires are wire nutted together.

Now if you remove your light switch and wire nut the 2 black wires your light will remain on. Thus removing the ability to switch the light on and off! Again with a light it is not a safety issue, just an energy waster!

Ike

Amonaug
10-06-2008, 11:30 PM
IF you bypass it make doubly sure you press the stop button BEFORE opening the lid at any time. Otherwise as stated above the truck will continue to move without the cut motor on.

A better alternative is to put a switch similar to a lightswtich if you plan on bypassing it in stead of just hard wiring it.

Hexe SA
10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I have had so many problems I am beginning to think I have purchased a "LEMON". After installing a new "Z" pack(the second one not counting the original) I started to get the error message "cover open". I blew the micro switch out with air, opened and closed the cover numerous times and to no avail. Tech support says I need a new switch. I am tired of buying parts, the machine is a little over a year old and I have only been able to complete 11 projects and I have over 1,200 hours on the machine.Almost all spent with problems. I would like to know how to bypass the cover switch to see if that is really my problem. Anyone done this?
jimbu
Look at this thread under Trouble shooting: Cover Switch Replacement it tells you how but I would not recommend disabeling a safety feature. I also ran into "cover open" and after removing and resetting it 8 times it turned out that the harness to the z-truck was upside down plugged in. They are not keyed. Turned the connector arround no more problems. Now it is marked with a dab of paint so when I disconnect it again I don't have to dis and reassemble the cover somany times.
Eva

Digitalwoodshop
10-07-2008, 09:46 AM
DON"T disable the safety switch. Then when your fingers get mangled you will want to sue LHR.... Don 't disable the safety switch..... Take the time to learn and understand your machine.

The white wire of the cable from the left switch goes toward the center of the machine when you plug it in. Upside down and it won't work....

AL

Looks like a typo on the hours.... 1,200 hours.... Unless you leave it plugged in 24/7 and on..... What is your CUT MOTOR hours?

jimbu
10-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Digitalwoodshop. I have 105 hours & 10 min on the cut time and 1,278 hours and 1 min on the power on time. The hours "on time" have been put on by me having to constantly work on this NASA scientist piece of junk.
I am so sick and tired of error message's I could barf every time one comes up! Which is way way to often. I am well aware of bypassing safety items. I am 72 years old and owned my own business for 50+ years and was inspected by OSHA on a regular basis. I am so tired of buying parts I would like to be sure I need them. The plug has 6 blk wires and 1 white so how can I tell what is the correct wires to connect to see if the switch is indeed faulty? I do not want a permeant bypass only a confirmation that the switch is indeed faulty.
jimbu

Amonaug
10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Digitalwoodshop. I have 105 hours & 10 min on the cut time and 1,278 hours and 1 min on the power on time. The hours "on time" have been put on by me having to constantly work on this NASA scientist piece of junk.
I am so sick and tired of error message's I could barf every time one comes up! Which is way way to often. I am well aware of bypassing safety items. I am 72 years old and owned my own business for 50+ years and was inspected by OSHA on a regular basis. I am so tired of buying parts I would like to be sure I need them. The plug has 6 blk wires and 1 white so how can I tell what is the correct wires to connect to see if the switch is indeed faulty? I do not want a permeant bypass only a confirmation that the switch is indeed faulty.
jimbu

Only 2 of the wires go to the switch, the other 4 are for the probe plug. Simply follow the wires until you get to the switch under the cover.

jimbu
10-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks Amonaug.
jimbu

Digitalwoodshop
10-07-2008, 06:44 PM
It is good you are experienced.

When the plug is installed look for the white wire in the bunch and it faces the center of the machine. I know this as I put it in back-wards myself and use the "White Wire" to know which way is correct.

The screws that hold the left switch to the cover can become loose. I removed a piece of plastic on top of the switch that let me get a better bite with the screws in the cover.

Hope this helps.

AL

TerryT
10-07-2008, 07:28 PM
You can take the switch out, open it up (most open easily) and run a sliver of 400 or 600 sandpaper between the contacts a couple of times. Snap the switch back together and re install.

jimbu
10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Well I disabled the coverswitch and no longer get the error.( Yes I do have a switch on order). NOW I get a Z axis stall error 248. I just installed the third Z pack in just over a year and checked all connections and they seem fine. Any suggestions as to why I am geting this error message?
Thanks all for past help.
jimbu