PDA

View Full Version : New 1/16" Bit?

Don Butler
10-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I just received a message today announcing 1/16" cutting bit for the CW.

Is this different from the 1/16" bit I got with my machine?

d...

brdad
10-03-2008, 08:06 PM
It's a cutting bit, not a carving bit. The machine came with a 1/16" carving bit and a 1/8" cutting bit.

Don Butler
10-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I guess I don't know the difference.

What does this one do that's different from the other one?

d...

mtylerfl
10-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I guess I don't know the difference.

What does this one do that's different from the other one?

d...

Hi Don,

The 1/16" carving bit that came with your machine is tapered and is specifically designed for carving. It is "heavy duty" due to the 1/4" shank that tapers down to the tip. The new 1/16" straight bit is specifically designed for making cutouts in thin material.

The new straight 1/16" bit would not hold up under the stress of normal carving and it is limited to the depth you can make actual cutouts with it - someone posted on the forum that the depth is limited to 1/4" (I have not verified this, but that sounds reasonable to me since it was designed for thin material).

SAA3840
10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Is this new bit available yet? Will it/does it come mounted in a bit holder like all the other bits?:?:
Never Mind, I checked out the store and it's available, $24.99 in a bit holder.

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=18825&cat=251&page=1

Don Butler
10-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks, Mike!

d...

Jeff_Birt
10-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Hot of the presses...

jerrbitt
10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Is this new bit available yet? Will it/does it come mounted in a bit holder like all the other bits?:?:
Never Mind, I checked out the store and it's available, $24.99 in a bit holder.

I ordered it and surprised that they are charging 12.95 for shipping and handling. Considering weight and size, that's an excessive charge

Bubbabear
10-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I ordered it and surprised that they are charging 12.95 for shipping and handling. Considering weight and size, that's an excessive charge

Unfortunatly it has become standard practice for most online sellers to shaft people on shipping. I have truly about stopped buying anything that has to be shipped as byt the time they do that I can buy it local and save money. I would look at sears online and have it shipped to your nearest store. No shipping fees then. That is if sears is carrying it

atauer
10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi Don,

The 1/16" carving bit that came with your machine is tapered and is specifically designed for carving. It is "heavy duty" due to the 1/4" shank that tapers down to the tip. The new 1/16" straight bit is specifically designed for making cutouts in thin material.

The new straight 1/16" bit would not hold up under the stress of normal carving and it is limited to the depth you can make actual cutouts with it - someone posted on the forum that the depth is limited to 1/4" (I have not verified this, but that sounds reasonable to me since it was designed for thin material).

Mike,

From what I have seen so far, the bit will only cut through material up to a quarter of an inch in thickness, nothing more. I haven't got to use it personally yet, but maybe some day soon. :)

deemon328
10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Please forgive the semi-hijack, but does the CW work with 1/4" thick stock without a sled yet? I know it is/used to be 1/2" minimum, but was wondering if that has changed.

Thanks!

atauer
10-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Dustin,

It will not be capable of handling the 1/4 in stock without a sled. The minimum it will accept is 1/2 inch, so you will need to use a sled. However, with the new 1.131 release, you can now do cut-outs on stock thinner than a half inch, with out cutting completely through the sled. It actually lets you set the cut-path depth. Try searching for "Version 1.131". You will find more information on the new release.

mtylerfl
10-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Please forgive the semi-hijack, but does the CW work with 1/4" thick stock without a sled yet? I know it is/used to be 1/2" minimum, but was wondering if that has changed.

Thanks!

Hi Dustin,

Don't know if you've read the new Sept. Tips & Tricks or not. The new 1.131 version of Designer gives you unprecedented control over cut paths now. Makes it much easier to do cutouts on stock thinner than 1/2". (Of course, you do need to place the thin stock on a carrier board or sled - that has not changed.)

Anyway, check out the Sept. Tips for details.

luckettg
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I do not have a current need for this 1/8 bit, but a question does come to mind. How is the bit selected in the software or on the machine? Is the option part of the 1.131 software?
Thanks,
Greg.

mtylerfl
10-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I do not have a current need for this 1/8 bit, but a question does come to mind. How is the bit selected in the software or on the machine? Is the option part of the 1.131 software?
Thanks,
Greg.

Hello Greg,

I think you meant the new 1/16" cutting bit, right?

If so, then yes, you can select the 1/16" cutting bit in the new Cut-Out Control window for any cut path (keeping in mind the depth limitation!). What's also possible is, you can specify the new 1/16" cutting bit indepently from other paths on the board... i.e., you could specify the 1/8" cutting bit for other paths in the same project if you wish.

So, if you were doing cutouts on 1/4" stock, and some of the items had really tight inside curves, but other items were "not so tight", you could "mix-n-match" the bits as appropriate. That was not possible before 1.131.

luckettg
10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Oops, your are right. I meant the 1/16 bit. That is really a very small bit and I expect will be breaking easily and often. My small drill bits do.
Greg.

luckettg
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Thinking about bits like this reminded me of something. How about a Rotozip bit for side cutting? CW would need to make a software upgrade to use it probably, or cheat the selection process, which is risky at best.:)

mtylerfl
10-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Thinking about bits like this reminded me of something. How about a Rotozip bit for side cutting? CW would need to make a software upgrade to use it probably, or cheat the selection process, which is risky at best.:)

I wouldn't have any confidence at all substituting Rotozip bits. (They break far too easily and often in my Rotozip itself.) I think they would become dangerous shrapnel very quickly in the CW.

cnsranch
10-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I'll second Michael's opinion. I broke two bits in my roto-zip last weekend cutting sheetrock!!