PDA

View Full Version : Where Did That Screw Come From..

jerrbitt
10-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Just finished a four hour carve and while cleaning up the machine, found a snall screwholding some black plastick. Oh, OH, something broke off. Then I recalled when I replaced the cut motor, I was missing the screw that holds the flex cable in place at the rear of the cut motor. So I used a substitute screw, not black. And that's the screw I found.

Question is whether that screw is necessary to hold the flex cable in place? Called Carvewright about it but only got the message center today. The parts manual, surprisingly does not show the screw, at least the manual I have.

Seems to me when I installed it the flex cable into the cut motor, it was a good friction type fit so I think it will stay in place. Seems a shame to have to replace a cut motor for only the purpose of setting a new screw in place.

What do you users think who have experienc with the flex shaft/cut motor mount?

liquidguitars
10-02-2008, 09:31 PM
My shaft seems seat ok without it as the flexshaft has plastic ears at the tip holding it in, just give it a twist when inserting. ;)

LG

pkunk
10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
The set screw is to prevent the flexshaft from turning and disengaging the ears from the motor. Any screw of the same tpi will work.

jerrbitt
10-03-2008, 09:06 AM
The set screw is to prevent the flexshaft from turning and disengaging the ears from the motor. Any screw of the same tpi will work.

Should have explained that the screw I found was attached to a piece of the cut motor housing so it's not just a matter of replacing the screw. But I remembered I had a pdf file on replacing the cut motor and it mentions that when you insert the flex cable, you have to give it a 90 degree turn which sets it in and "locks" it in place. I guess the screw is only a secondary holding measure.

Thanks for the response