PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think

FROZENKNUCKLES
10-02-2008, 04:33 PM
do you think you could make a gun stock. the reason I asked if you had a duplicater and a current stock your trying to duplicate then you should just copy it and stick in a piece of would.the reason i asked there is a gun stock duplicater on ebay that looks allot like a carvewright or compucarve that is hand powered version.
any ideas

Dan-Woodman
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
This is the machine for that. I think the easiest thing to do would be to have the probe , make a (jig-sled) to hold your gunstok . The carvewright and probe will then scan it and you can either make duplicates , even add carvings to the gunstock or whatever.
Just have funcarving.
later Daniel

FROZENKNUCKLES
10-02-2008, 10:30 PM
i was thinking that the carve wright could do it.i have only gotten to some small stuff but if someone else thinks it possible then i will give it a try. think i havent even come clsoe to even seeing what thsi machine can do need to gett off my lathe and get into it/
thanks
has anyone been succesful at coping a gunstock ?

fwharris
10-02-2008, 11:33 PM
If the maching can carve guitars, fiddles and the like I know it can carve gun stocks for sure.

FROZENKNUCKLES
10-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Maybe i will wait to buy a new stock for my gun and just save a little longer and get the probe.
thanks guys for your help .

cnsranch
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Knuckles -

If you like the shape, etc., of the stock you have, imagine being able to scan it into Designer, then being able to add carvings as you wish. Once you find that perfect piece of wood, you load 'er up and carve a masterpiece!!!

Seriously, a gunstock is the perfect project for the machine, and the finished product would be worth 10x what it cost you to make (assuming, of course, that you're a better finisher than me ;) ).

Mikewiz
10-04-2008, 09:19 AM
He knuckles,

I tried to make a new gunstock for my shotgun. I used the probe to scan the old one. but I had a problem getting the two sides to line up properly. It carved each side very nice, but when doing a double sided carving the stock looked twisted.The carvings never matched up. It may have been that when I scaned each side that they were not in the same location as the other scan. I took detailed measurments to make sure they were in the same spot. But I ended up giving up and refinishing the old one. Hopefully you will have better luck.

Mike

lostinthefrost
05-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to reopen back up this thread. Is there anyone out there that has a tutorial and/or a quick set of instructions that they have been successful with for their gunstock? I have a probe, but have never used it yet. I know I need to read and watch the tutorial on that.

TWOATLOW8
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
well i ave scanned a gunst (remington 1100) i have yet to carve it out.
You will need to scan both sides. then match them up in deisgner. thats as far as i got...but i would start with that.

let me know or i will let you know but i will not get to it for acouple of days.

lostinthefrost
05-11-2009, 10:09 PM
that's what I have it a gorgeous remington 1100. I thought it would be nice to redesign a new stock for it. I know it doesnt need it, but would like to do a few of them.

TWOATLOW8
05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
doinf the inletting would be a fun job, but the 1100 seamed the easiest

jab73180
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
who was the guy that did the chain in the pattern depot. that was a 3 sided carve, maybe he has insight.

-Jason

chebytrk
05-12-2009, 07:07 AM
who was the guy that did the chain in the pattern depot. that was a 3 sided carve, maybe he has insight.

-Jason

I would really be interested to see how someone can make any type of inlay on a gun stock. I've got a couple of shotguns and a couple of .22 rifles that I'd like to do that with. Please keep me in the loop on all this.

TWOATLOW8
05-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Guys
I have a gunsmith around my area that does the inletting, asked him to teach me since hes 75. First of all he was GUNHO (ha ha ha) about it. then teh next day he reconsidered, dont know why !!!

I will hav eto ask him again, but i just dont want him to go and leave all that information lay to rest. He has no children so there is no one to know..

Digitalwoodshop
05-12-2009, 02:55 PM
He knuckles,

I tried to make a new gunstock for my shotgun. I used the probe to scan the old one. but I had a problem getting the two sides to line up properly. It carved each side very nice, but when doing a double sided carving the stock looked twisted.The carvings never matched up. It may have been that when I scaned each side that they were not in the same location as the other scan. I took detailed measurments to make sure they were in the same spot. But I ended up giving up and refinishing the old one. Hopefully you will have better luck.

Another thing you could do is add a piece of wood on each end of the stock with hot melt glue. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the extra wood. The Scan would pick up the extra wood and the 1/4 inch hole.

Later when you place the pattern on the Designer Board seeing the 1/4 inch hole in the scan, add a 1/8 inch drill hole to designer within the 1/4 inch. Now that shows up on the back. Apply the pattern to the back and move until the 1/4 inch holes of the back pattern lines up with the drilled hole. Flip board, remove the drill hole and carve ERROR FREE...

Mike

If I was going to scan a 2 sided gun stock, I would make a cut out board and mount the gun stock in a cut out within the piece of wood getting it centered the best I could. That way when you flip it over it would act just like flipping over the board being carved. Everything would match and it would take out or zero out the position error. Size the mounting board and board being cut the same width and length then no problems.

AL

PCW
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Below is a link to a seller that is selling a scanned CW pattern of a rifle stock on eBay. May give you an idea.

Rifle Stock Pattern (http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvewright-Craftsman-CompuCarve-rifle-gunstock-scan_W0QQitemZ190304996409QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item2c4f0fcc39&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C 301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200)