PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed For Present for my Grandsons

Evil Scotsman
10-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I was refered to your site from www.routersforum.com. I am BRAND SPANKING new to wood working. I haven't done any (basically) since Jr. High. I went out a month or two ago, bought some basic tools, routers, cordless drill, etc.

I just started taking a woodworking class (tonight second night) at a local HS. In this class I am making a toybox for my two grandsons (1 & 3). It isn't very fancy, (I like simple/Amish/shaker) but what I would like to do is rout/carve/engrave their names on the lid of the toy box. I am hoping that someday they would be able to pass it on the their kids, etc. I HAVE tried routing a sign myself. I bought the kit that has the bracket, plastic letters, etc. Lets just say it didn't work out for me. (that is being kind lol)

I was looking for someone in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area OR Pottsville/Bernville area,(19506) that would be willing to help me do this. I am not looking for a hand out, I would be willing to pay if necessary, that isn't a problem. I just want to make this nice for my boys.

I am willing to travel up 100 miles or there abouts, If you are willing and able to help me please just let me know how much and what is the best/most convient time for you and I will work around that.

THANK YOU in advance
Cheers

Oliver Lande
10-02-2008, 09:05 AM
How about posting their names to see if anyone can carve something you'd like?
The attached are names I put on toyboxes for my Grandsons earlier this year.

Oliver Lande
10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I have two of the sign maker kits, One with the single letters, that I got at Rockler, the other with letters that slide together that I got at Sears. The Sears kit was by far the best since I could put everything together on each line. One thing that is really key to that kit is "do not carve too deep". My biggest problem with them is they only come in one font. The carvewright can do any windows font I have tried.

MikeMcCoy
10-02-2008, 09:16 AM
I bought one of those sign kits several years ago and promptly threw it in the trash. If you don't find someone in your area, it's pretty simple to collaborate for delivery. I'm currently working with a man in New Jersey that is making a baby crib for his grand daughter. He sends me his rough drawings of the head and foot boards so I can plan my layout for the carves. The crib is being made from cherry but so far it's cost him right around $120 for some really elaborate carves and that is including the cost of my lumber and shipping.

It also saved him some layout time since the rails are arched. He still had to cut the mortises so I just had the machine cut a shallow groove where the arch would be.

sewpeck
10-03-2008, 07:26 AM
I would be willing to help you. As far as cost, I'm not sure until I see what you want carved. E-mail me and we will go on from there. And by the way, I will not try to make a fortune off you.