PDA

View Full Version : Current project

vaughn
10-01-2008, 05:58 PM
This is the surface of a custom designed computer desktop I'm making. The idea behind this is to allow the customer to sit in their easy chair and use a graphics tablet, a 12" Cintiq, while it is connected to a laptop to their right. The groves are to allow for extra cooling since the laptop will be used with the lid in the closed position. As of today the wood has been stained and a coat of poly has been applied. I expect to be done in a few days. I'll post images of the completed project when done.

Hexe SA
10-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Desk top. Too "cool". I like the idea and look forward to your progress!
Eva

vaughn
10-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Here's the final project. To reiterate, this was a design that allowed the customer to be able to sit on their easy chair while using a handheld 12" Cintiq graphics tablet. The desk supports the laptop that the tablet is connected to while it allows air to be forced in from below to aid cooling (The laptop is used with it's cover closed). It also has battery charging built-in and the fan is operated from the USB connection eliminating a more complicated powering setup. The front edge has a fabricated slot that you can slip a small Bluetooth keyboard into and to the left of that a small chamois lined hole for the tablet stylus. On the far left edge are the cord slots, one side is hinged which allows easy removal and insertion while allowing ease of movement.

This was built atop a commercially available steel and wood computer desk but I discarded the particle board tops. Two of the steel legs were trimmed to allow ease of movement of the desk and to avoid hitting the edges of other furniture.

The main visible feature of this mini desk is the carved cooling channels in the top. The CarveWright made this part far easier. There are two additional details on the right and left which were carved there just for looks. These had gold added to them and then they were varnished over just like the rest of the surface.

In all the CarveWright, a cheap bench-top sander, a Rikon bandsaw, DeWalt 'Saws-all', quite a bit of glue and my drill helped me to complete this project. Undoubtably the CarveWright added the principle touch that made this project REALLY unique.

AWoodsmith
10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
That is avery cool deal, I am making a stand so I can read a magazine while in my private office if you know where I mean....:)