PDA

View Full Version : Z-Truck problem

Rocky
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I'll start out by saying that, for now, the problem is solved. However, I thought it might be worthwhile to provide some details for forum members.

My CW, with only 13 hours on the cut motor, came to a stop today with a Z-truck stall -error code 238. I didn't have a clue what to do, so I called LHR. The tech rep I spoke with walked me through several steps involved with taking apart some of the CW to analyze the problem. At one point we had to stop because I didn't have a 12 MM flat wrench (needed to get at a nut in a tight area). I went to various stores to buy one, but no luck. I returned home and ground down one of my regular wrenches. I called back to LHR and was able to speak with the same rep and continue analyzing the problem. I'm rambling now, so I'll shorten this by saying that the problem was a stuck Z-truck; it couldn't be moved by pushing on it. The rep explained how to adjust it (loosen it a bit). I did that, ran a test, and now my CW appears to be back in operation.

The one question the rep couldn't answer was this: How does this happen? Especially after only 13 hours. I can almost understand if it worked its way loose, but tighten up on its own?

mtylerfl
09-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Rocky,

It could be another problem. Behind the Z-Truck are two screws and a small metal hold-down bracket for the Z-belt.

I had a stuck Z-Truck once and after calling LHR, took the truck off, looked behind it and one of the small screws had worked itself out just a tiny bit - that was enough for the screwhead to come in contact with the Y-Truck and "locked" the Z.

The symptom of this is a small vertical scratch or gouge on the right-front side of the Y-truck, just behind the Z-truck where the screwhead has made contact prior to the lockup of the Z.

All I had to do was tighten the tiny screw (I put a dab of LocTite on both the screws as long as I was at it) and the Z-truck has been perfectly fine ever since.

Now, a small "caution" to anyone reading this - do not take off the Z-truck willy-nilly, and never take it off while in warranty unless an LHR Tech authorizes that for you specifically. It requires a little "finesse" to get it off in the first place, and to get it adjusted correctly when putting it back, so it's not something you want to do unless you are very confident you know what you're getting into. (If you adjust it wrong, you'll break something - maybe a couple things.)

liquidguitars
09-30-2008, 06:59 PM
The one question the rep couldn't answer was this: How does this happen?

Gummy sap and surface dirt..

LG

Rocky
10-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Rocky,

It could be another problem. Behind the Z-Truck are two screws and a small metal hold-down bracket for the Z-belt.

I had a stuck Z-Truck once and after calling LHR, took the truck off, looked behind it and one of the small screws had worked itself out just a tiny bit - that was enough for the screwhead to come in contact with the Y-Truck and "locked" the Z.

The symptom of this is a small vertical scratch or gouge on the right-front side of the Y-truck, just behind the Z-truck where the screwhead has made contact prior to the lockup of the Z.

All I had to do was tighten the tiny screw (I put a dab of LocTite on both the screws as long as I was at it) and the Z-truck has been perfectly fine ever since.

Now, a small "caution" to anyone reading this - do not take off the Z-truck willy-nilly, and never take it off while in warranty unless an LHR Tech authorizes that for you specifically. It requires a little "finesse" to get it off in the first place, and to get it adjusted correctly when putting it back, so it's not something you want to do unless you are very confident you know what you're getting into. (If you adjust it wrong, you'll break something - maybe a couple things.)

Mike,

I'm going to check for the scratch you refer to. In my case, just loosening up one of the right side bearings using the 12 MM wrench was enough to free the Z-truck. I never had to remove the Z-truck itself.

TerryT
10-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Check the bearings to make sure they are spinning properly. I don't think they would tighten up under normal usage. You may have one that is bad or seized up.

Rocky
10-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Check the bearings to make sure they are spinning properly. I don't think they would tighten up under normal usage. You may have one that is bad or seized up.

Terry, once loosened, the bearings seemed to rotate fine.

Thanks,

concepte
10-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I had a Z Axis Stall with Error Code 248 and after reading numerous threads here in thr forum - I went back and realized that the Truck would not move all the way down, but would move up ok.
I found a build up of carving dust on the lower pulley for the veritical movement belt. I blew this out with air and then I had full movement up and down as I should.

I restarted a project to check this and all was well. The CW went thru out checks without a hitch and then started to carve. Well the first plunge put the bit all the way through the board and as the truck started to move horizontally the bit came out of the holder and it took me a couple of seconds to shut down the CW as it did not stop by it self. It had made an awlful racket when this happen as one could only imagine it would. I checked the bit and the bit hold as I saw some metal grindings on the wood. The bit and bit holder looked ok. I got another bit and installed in the the truck holder, but to no avail. It under no circumstance would lock in. I took a mirror and looked at the truck bit holder and it does not look so good. I alway double check my bit installs by shaking them and pulling them down when I install a bit. So what happen - hmmm - I guess this will be another one for the LHR team.
I just got my CW back from warranty repair on a flexcable and other truck problems on Friday and this is Sunday, the first day I was able to get to the CW to try it out. I guess that I will lose it to LHR again for 30 days.

Rocky
10-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Concepte, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like there was an error condition the CW didn't recognize. I'm sure LHR will fix it, but I know that's not much of a consolation if you have to ship it back again.