PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me what I did wrong?

SAA3840
09-29-2008, 10:00 PM
OK, I downloaded one of those mpc files of the Maps of the USA for collecting quarters. The board settings as downloaded were 1/2 x 14.5 x 24. I prepared a board 3/4 x 14.5 x 24 and uploaded the mpc onto the memory card.
As it turned out, my machine (correctly) measured the board as 23.8" long. (The other measurements were correct, I did change the board settings to a 3/4" thick board.) My machine asked if I wanted to change boards or scale the project size to the board length. I told it to scale it to the actual length, and to NOT stay under the rollers. Apparently this was my mistake. All fifty (50) circular holes for the quarters was two (2) inches to the left of where they were supposed to be. The "United States Quarters" text was also mangled.
Did telling the machine to scale the project down the .2" cause the quarter holes to move over two inches or could there have been something else??
I plan to run the board through my surface planer and start over with a 5/8" board tomorrow. :confused::confused:

Jvicaretti
09-30-2008, 04:50 AM
You needed to add 7 inches to the 14.5 inch for a total of a 21.5" board that was required to do the project. This leaves the required 3.5" on each side and then it doesn't matter if you say to leave it under the rollers or not because it will always remain under the rollers with the extra length.

MikeMcCoy
09-30-2008, 06:17 AM
You can't add 7" to the width. It needs to be added to the length so you board should be 14 1/2" by 31"

Icutone2
09-30-2008, 06:54 AM
14.5 x 31.0 Good board size Center on board Stay under rollers, all will come out Nice! That is it worked for me.

mtylerfl
09-30-2008, 07:41 AM
OK, I downloaded one of those mpc files of the Maps of the USA for collecting quarters. The board settings as downloaded were 1/2 x 14.5 x 24. I prepared a board 3/4 x 14.5 x 24 and uploaded the mpc onto the memory card.
As it turned out, my machine (correctly) measured the board as 23.8" long. (The other measurements were correct, I did change the board settings to a 3/4" thick board.) My machine asked if I wanted to change boards or scale the project size to the board length. I told it to scale it to the actual length, and to NOT stay under the rollers. Apparently this was my mistake. All fifty (50) circular holes for the quarters was two (2) inches to the left of where they were supposed to be. The "United States Quarters" text was also mangled.
Did telling the machine to scale the project down the .2" cause the quarter holes to move over two inches or could there have been something else??
I plan to run the board through my surface planer and start over with a 5/8" board tomorrow. :confused::confused:

Hello,

It is VERY important that you read the Tips & Tricks Dec '07 and Jan '08 issues and get familiar with the basics of proper machine operation and maintainance (actually, it's important and helpful if you read ALL of the Tips & Tricks!). If you had read those two issues, you would have easily avoided the two most common pilot errors - which you made, and unfortunately caused you to waste time and wood.

Perhaps you were not aware of that resource. I am sorry if you weren't.(LHR is now putting flyers in the box of every machine that informs buyers of several resources, including the Tips newsletters.)

There are certain guidelines to follow with these machines and if followed, will yield a productive and trouble-free experience. The Tips & Tricks will help you - I promise!

Jvicaretti
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Sorry about the width/length confusion. It is all in my head, I just had a total knee replacement and the medication they gave me is really good for pain but not great for concentration which is why I am sitting at the computer and not sitting at any power tools!

SAA3840
09-30-2008, 11:49 PM
I took my memory card back in the house and reformatted it, reloaded the projects I had on it and everything now works fine. Apparently, when I upgraded to the new 1.131 software, I needed to reboot/reformat the memory card as well.
I should add that before I did the reformatting, all the projects on the card ended up being off center by two inches.
Oh well, live and learn. Maybe someone else can benefit from this.:)