PDA

View Full Version : Design Creation

danwilson88
09-28-2008, 02:10 PM
I am this close to buying one, just haven't pulled the trigger. Perhap I didn't dig deep enough, but I can't find an answer to my question. I want this carver to produce original work and saleable items. What do I need to convert a design or even a photo into a carve-able file?

TerryT
09-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I am this close to buying one, just haven't pulled the trigger. Perhap I didn't dig deep enough, but I can't find an answer to my question. I want this carver to produce original work and saleable items. What do I need to convert a design or even a photo into a carve-able file?

This forum is filled with pictures of "original works" and many of the members are selling their products. Many patterns are available for purchase and you can sell the works you create with them. The only thing you need to create your own patterns (especially from photo's) is skill and practice. The machine will reproduce your patterns amazingly well, however, if you put junk in, you get junk out.

Audie
09-28-2008, 02:57 PM

There are a number of prorams that you can create original art work in. I use Photo Shop, Paint.net and Live Pix for most of mine. Photo's can be a challenge because of the detail - rendering heights can be frustrating.

Originality is truly in the mind of the artist, so having a concept and designing is a blast. I am also exploring with hand carving using a Wecheer carver - once designed I'll scan it with my probe. Modeling clay, plaster is yet another venue to create custom designs. Finding items at thrift shops, flea markets and garage sales and scanning selected regions are another way to gain unique patterns.

As far as saleable items...I am having success with everything from plaques with sayings, signs , key hangers with carved regions, customized clocks and religious items......I am finding that just about anything created and priced reasonably has good prospect of being sold.

What I find not to try to sale are copyrighted logo's (can be a huge problem)!

Creativity is almost as fun as the CW doing its magic!

badger
09-28-2008, 06:00 PM

Your question is really to open ended.

1. Machine is not meant for production type application. (some will and take that venture on their own) It is designed for the hobbist. There are some that sell their work that have multiple machines so they have more than 1 machine working while others are down being fixed or cleaned or waiting for parts.

2. Original Work? I would say by this time there are probable a couple thousand patterns available between those that have been offered for free and those that are for sale in the pattern depot.

3. The design question is also a big area where there have been alot of quesitons on designing ur own stuff how to and tricks, but too many to actual list in one post.

4. There is a demo version of the designer that you can download and play around with so you can see what you can design and import.

On top of that there are more than a thousand questions on this forum about making stuff for sale and what not so you might have to be a little more specific about your question and the search feature is a great tool.

danwilson88
10-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. To be specific, I have ideas I want to produce that have a specific, local flavor or even replicating faces. That is why I am interested in photo rendering of some kind. Sounds like Photoshop or similar products allow me to do this. I wasn't sure if they would produce a 3D type file. I guess I can buy one now. However, I see a lot of talk about these things being down for repair. Is this machine prone to breaking?

cnsranch
10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Nope, but people are prone to breaking them...

badger
10-02-2008, 07:01 PM
now now, lets be fair. There are some things that might go wrong with it. I did nothing for the zpack to go bad on me, it just went bad and when it did, broke my carving bit.

However when they were the older zpack from the original machine you could order the new zpack before the old one went.

Lets face it, its a machine, you treat it right most of the time and it will work, but sooner or later parts will go bad. Just takes time to learn the machine, clean it, I would even say getting good at taking it apart so your comfortable taking it apart to clean it.

The more you do this the more you will get to know your machine and hopefully know before hand when things dont look right and should be replaced before they do.

Deolman
10-02-2008, 11:50 PM
The Carvewright is mechanical device and as such will start wearing from the first time you start using it. But with the proper care, it will last a long time. Yes there have been some parts that are weaker in design but LHR is quick to assist in overcoming the problems with them. The problems associated with the Carvewright for the most part are really just a minor inconvenience. The people at LHR are continually updating the Designer Program that works with the design of your project. They watch the forum and are relatively quick to listen to correct and/or improve the software. Just remember, for every complaint you have heard about the machine, there are literally thousands of machines that have not had a glitch to mention about. Yes the learning curve at first can be steep, but the rewards are great. There are relatively few people comparatively speaking that are unhappy enough with the machine to give up on it. Most of us users are happy we ventured on to this path of a carveaholic! You will be able to create the art of your desire, it just won't be overnight. You must learn the basics and how to convert them into a design where the machine will produce the desired results for you. Now if you are looking for a specific target, throw it out and see what comments the users will have to assist you in your project.